• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Newbie Dilemma: Subox Mini or eVic VTC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokyribs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2014
California
subox mini for me!

Care to explain why you made such a poor choice?

Aesthetics are subjective so lets not get into a debate over whether the subox or the btc mini looks better.

Performance wise, the eVic VTC mini trumps the subox in every way possible.

It has a very accurate in house chip. This has been factually proven by a german reviewer who measured it on an oscilloscope.

It is able to switch to bypass mode which makes it a mech mod and the only other device that can do that would be the SX mini M class which is about 3 times the price of the eVic vtc mini.

It has a better finish yet again proven as i have friends who've been on the subox and sold it thereafter for the eVic vtc mini. Mine has 0 scratches on the 510 head despite swapping tanks on it like free. Likewise, friends who have made the switch are reporting the same scratchless 510 unlike their subox.

The mod has more functions than the subox and can do TC for nickel or titanium builds.

The display on the eVic vtc mini is also larger and more informative. It can display Watts, resistance of the coil, current draw when vaping, puff counts, battery life, total time in seconds spent puffing as well as Fahrenheit and celcius for TC modes.

The buttons on the eVic vtc mini are also better. Handle one and you'll forget about the subox.

Oh, and the firmware is upgradeable which is a major plus point for future firmware releases.

So for roughly the same price, you're getting a mod that has better build quality, better finish and more features.

I see no reason why anyone in the right mind would pick the subox over the vastly superior eVic vtc mini. The same applies to the IPV D2 which has horrendous build quality, a very inaccurate chip (despite using one from YiHi cigar company).

To me at least, the eVic VTC mini is the best looking mod out of the three mods that I've mentioned and it is also the most accurate, most feature laden and most well built device.

Thanks much! Gotta obtain that vtcmini+subtank mini first tho. Haha

That in my opinion is the best combo for beginners. In fact, despite having a couple other mods such as the eVic VT, ipv4s,sx mini m class, upcoming sx mini ml class and the xcube II which I'm getting next week, the eVic VTC is still my fav go to mod as it can do what the other mods are capable of (or at least 90% of what they're capable of) all in a small portable hardy package.

Reactions: ezjayy

stillnotsmoking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
GA, USA
I don't care for the finish on the vtc mini, mine is chipping in many spots. I can live with that though, it's a $40 mod, not a ferrari. After using awhile though my main gripe is the 510 connection, there are not a lot of threads there and I can see it wearing out pretty quickly of you change tanks a lot or remove to refill. The IpvD2 has much nicer 510 IMO we will see how the finish holds up on it

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ezjayy

Account closed on request
Oct 3, 2015
Look behind you.
Once you start, you'll never find yourself with just one mod. So start with whichever you like most because if the more research you do the more difficult you'll find which to choose and where to buy.

Spot on. I wanted something simple to begin with, but the more I research, more choices keep popping up. Though thinking of what to buy..is much more simpler than where to buy. :cry:

ezjayy

Oct 3, 2015
Look behind you.
I see no reason why anyone in the right mind would pick the subox over the vastly superior eVic vtc mini.

I think one of the probable reasons is due to the subox starter kit being the to-go device for newbies like myself. The reviews are more or less the same: sleek, portable, reasonably-priced, superior tank, overall a good kit in one whole package, etc..i was initially sold on it as well, until i stumbled upon the vtc.

The vtc seems to be the better option; but as you and several reviewers/members mentioned before, the tank seems to be the issue here..so I'm not keen to get the whole kit.

And..i also think that its due to the trouble of acquiring a seperate mod+tank. notttt really that easy in the 'hood..sigh.

Epic_Sinner

SG Mod
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2013
Wonderland
I guess end of the day, to each its own. If you are serious in quitting analogs, as long as you can achieve by using any starter kit, just make do with something that will leave you no regrets turning your back on analogs.

If you are serious into it as a hobby, I am sure end of the day you will end up not having one, but maybe all of them.

We can't please everyone, just like not the same mods can please everyone. But whichever makes you happy, is the one for you, be it quality, quantity or aesthetics.

ezjayy

Oct 3, 2015
Look behind you.
If you are serious in quitting analogs, as long as you can achieve by using any starter kit, just make do with something that will leave you no regrets turning your back on analogs.

If you are serious into it as a hobby, I am sure end of the day you will end up not having one, but maybe all of them

Definitely the main reason for me going digital is to be rid of the analogs. As a hobby, maybe in the foreseeable future, only if access to digitals are not that restrictive (which i doubt of course). Already extremely tough to obtain one, so just wanna ensure that its something reliable at least.

Thanks for the advice tho. :thumb: appreciate much!

ezjayy

Oct 3, 2015
Look behind you.

eVic VTC without a doubt.

You won't go wrong with the Evic VTC

Vtc mini is great, love mine.

VTC mini is definitely better.

To me at least, the eVic VTC mini is the best looking mod out of the three mods that I've mentioned and it is also the most accurate, most feature laden and most well built device.

And VTC Mini it is ladies and gents. A big thank you to all for the advice/recommendation. I lurve it! :headbang:

Cyan vtc mini:hubba:

And yes, got the Cyan! :vapor:

Reactions: Pouf

1TA2F

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2011
Little Red Dot
Actually, what's your budget? For me and most people, we grow out of the subox and maybe vtc in within a month and we move to mods like smok m80, smok x cube 2, tugboat or snow wolf or ipv d2, ipv 3li or ipv 4s. Reasons being, due to lack of power for different coil builds (RBA, RDA or tanks) or OCC heads (for tanks), or for whatever reasons.

So, work out your budget. Subox, vtc, you can charge a single 18650, without a separate charger, and usually for subox, 40-45w is the max you can go (50w, the max, is dangerous), and the single cell battery does't work justice for a day, didn't play with vtc so I can't comment much. Wattage or TC wise, you'll be limited, subox can't TC, vtc I think can. (Sorry, subox starter kit here)

For dual 18650 mods like the other mods I've mentioned, you can go 50w for a whole day, or 2 or 3 without any problems (batteries plays a part too). And with better TC (I recommend playing with TC After you get the hang of building and wicking on wattage). But you'll need a separate charger for the batteries. Higher wattage or better TC, means you'll have more room to play with, which means better future proof.

See how much are you willing to spend. And then see what you want. Most of us have been there and done that. So, if we had more knowledge on hind sight, it would have saved us some money on getting that starter kit. Some may disagree. But we all have to agree that we grew out of the starter kit, fast.

And on a side note, I think most of us find joy and satisfaction in rebuilding, be it RBA, RDA, OCC or BVC.

Epic_Sinner

SG Mod
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2013
Wonderland
I wish to say this - Many newbies are getting ahead way too fast. With starter kits and increased number of nice looking devices, many are compromising on safety and knowledge. Many think they know or have acquired much knowledge. But the thing is, how much do you know on safety? Battery safety, ohms vs volts vs wattage vs current, whether you know what causes a short, which part of it, what a hotspot is, what signs gives you what kind of knowledge that something is wrong?

Yes there may be safety elements incorporated into the devices, but there is still alot of room for dangers. My advise is to research and read up more before you try to acquire.

Reactions: ezjayy

Comrade Vape

Verified Member
Oct 4, 2015
Local
Don't follow my example ah guys. When I started I ploughed headfirst into an IPV4S + subtank mini combo. Jeez louise those were some expensive tuition fees, but it was a hell of a way to learn the ropes. Batteries, coils, resistance, wicking, priming.. learnt it all the hard way. And never looked back.

And only a coupla months after that did I decide to snap up a subox only because of that damned limited edition blue colour. :hubba: lolzz. But it's been a hell of a ride. Whatever kit you choose, always remember and accept the fact you will still be f*cking itchy to upgrade. Add to the collection. Whatever. Believe me. I keep looking at the Smok X Cube II and I wanna scratch. :evil: And not to mention drippers. Tanks... Sigh.

Reactions: Karstine

Karstine

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2015
I guess end of the day, to each its own. If you are serious in quitting analogs, as long as you can achieve by using any starter kit, just make do with something that will leave you no regrets turning your back on analogs.

If you are serious into it as a hobby, I am sure end of the day you will end up not having one, but maybe all of them.

We can't please everyone, just like not the same mods can please everyone. But whichever makes you happy, is the one for you, be it quality, quantity or aesthetics.

Don't follow my example ah guys. When I started I ploughed headfirst into an IPV4S + subtank mini combo. Jeez louise those were some expensive tuition fees, but it was a hell of a way to learn the ropes. Batteries, coils, resistance, wicking, priming.. learnt it all the hard way. And never looked back.

And only a coupla months after that did I decide to snap up a subox only because of that damned limited edition blue colour. :hubba: lolzz. But it's been a hell of a ride. Whatever kit you choose, always remember and accept the fact you will still be f*cking itchy to upgrade. Add to the collection. Whatever. Believe me. I keep looking at the Smok X Cube II and I wanna scratch. :evil: And not to mention drippers. Tanks... Sigh.

I remember there was one post that I made 3 weeks ago when I just started. I told people that one mod and one tank is enough for me and I wouldn't waste money buying more.

Well right now... I have one rta and one Rda in my hand and a nextgen coming into my hand soon. Plus a coil kit. Plus muji cotton. Plus wire. Mmmmmm it's never gonna end. oh and I'm eyeing on a bellus tank too. Damn

cloudysheep

Oct 5, 2015
behind you
I remember there was one post that I made 3 weeks ago when I just started. I told people that one mod and one tank is enough for me and I wouldn't waste money buying more.

Well right now... I have one rta and one Rda in my hand and a nextgen coming into my hand soon. Plus a coil kit. Plus muji cotton. Plus wire. Mmmmmm it's never gonna end. oh and I'm eyeing on a bellus tank too. Damn
Told you so.... =p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread