Newbie in coiling without jig

Status
Not open for further replies.

yvaiwhy

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2017
Maldives
Any tips on building if you don't have a coil jig? Trying it in in the multi purpose tool included with the griffin mini 25 but it's kinda hard, thanks!

buy a kit with a ohm meter and everything. Trust me, someday you'll end up buying one.why not now? [emoji23][emoji106]

2+2=5 [emoji102]

yvaiwhy

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2017
Maldives
I gave my little jigs away. (Waste of time and money i.m.o.)
I do however have a collection of Kuro Coilers.
If I couldn't find one (unlikely) I would use screwdriver.

I just couldn't work with the like of those! I have the UD and coil master kits but I just use only the rods [emoji23]

2+2=5 [emoji102]

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I just couldn't work with the like of those! I have the UD and coil master kits but I just use only the rods
A rod or similar is good.
I just can't stand those miniature jig systems.
Sometimes, I quite like using a Kuro (or similar) by hand as well, not even using the top cap. Good for spaced coils too. :)

yvaiwhy

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2017
Maldives
A rod or similar is good.
I just can't stand those miniature jig systems.
Sometimes, I quite like using a Kuro (or similar) by hand as well, not even using the top cap. Good for spaced coils too. :)

It's always better without the top cap. Spaced or not. I like to see. Where my wire is going rather than trust a piece of metal make the choice for me [emoji57]

2+2=5 [emoji102]

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Any tips on building if you don't have a coil jig? Trying it in in the multi purpose tool included with the griffin mini 25 but it's kinda hard, thanks!
When i started building i wrapped coils around tge Shaft of the little blue screwdriver that comes with most RDA or RTAs

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA

yvaiwhy

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2017
Maldives
Guys appreciate your inputs, created a coil with the free tool of griffin mini looks bad but it will do gonna order a jig when it's pay day :thumbs:

Btw for newbies is it better to start with a thicker wire or a thinner one?

I would recommend somewhere around 26ga to start off with. What's the resistance you are looking for? Steam engine is a good tool to get an idea.

2+2=5 [emoji102]

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
Hi Kelstasy
I would suggest stainless steel 316L and 24 awg. I find the 26 a bit wimpy for pulling the cotton through as it too easily allows the coils to deform. The larger dia wire however will require more wraps for the same resistance. On a single coil 4 wraps at 3.0 to 3.5 inner dia coil will give you a reading of about 0.2 ohms. If you are making tight coils this will often be shorter in length than the post holes are apart so you have to bend the coil legs to make it work. On dual coils then 8 wraps each will give the same reading and will fit more easily between most atty's posts.

I'm suggesting SS because you can use it in either power or TC mode. Do however use the "coil calculator" web page to check the validity of your planned build, don't just believe what I'm saying. Do also check the resistance of your build before wicking it by mounting it on your mod (or resistance meter if you have one). If you are building tight coils then do use your ceramic (not metal) tweezers to pinch and strum the coil while pulsing it to work out any hot spots. Finally don't forget to prime it before actually trying to vape from it.

Good luck with it.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I get the feeling there is a difference between how we all understand the word 'jig'.

A tool is not a jig. A jig is a jig.
Don't buy a jig. Get a tool.

If the tool with the Griffin is the same as the 3-pronged tool with many atomizers, then don't use that, no.
That's not a tool for coils, it's a tool for the atomizer.

(Boy, now I'm confusing myself)....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread