Status
Not open for further replies.

Kprthevapr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2015
On the River, GA
The UD tool kit is one of the best gifts I have received :)
The coil jig is very convenient, as it holds the spare tips and Allen wrench inside the tube. Very easy to use.
IMG_20170113_081910_239.JPG

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I thought a jig was a thingy.

On a dual coil build i use 28awg. Good ramp up & builds around .4 resistance.
On a single coil 26awg.

Be advised, there are space considerations in choosing a guage to a specific Topper.
Better to have many gauges & an open mind..

It is a thingy. I like 28G as well, and have started using it for parallel builds. Works nicely. I like 26G for spinning a Clapton too.

ValevGK

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2017
Hi Kelstasy
I would suggest stainless steel 316L and 24 awg. I find the 26 a bit wimpy for pulling the cotton through as it too easily allows the coils to deform. The larger dia wire however will require more wraps for the same resistance. On a single coil 4 wraps at 3.0 to 3.5 inner dia coil will give you a reading of about 0.2 ohms. If you are making tight coils this will often be shorter in length than the post holes are apart so you have to bend the coil legs to make it work. On dual coils then 8 wraps each will give the same reading and will fit more easily between most atty's posts.

I'm suggesting SS because you can use it in either power or TC mode. Do however use the "coil calculator" web page to check the validity of your planned build, don't just believe what I'm saying. Do also check the resistance of your build before wicking it by mounting it on your mod (or resistance meter if you have one). If you are building tight coils then do use your ceramic (not metal) tweezers to pinch and strum the coil while pulsing it to work out any hot spots. Finally don't forget to prime it before actually trying to vape from it.

Good luck with it.
He said newbie and u talk about 26AWG SS and TC! :) IMO he is far from your experience and need to learn step by step, isn't he?!
My purpose is 28AWG Kanthal A1 at 2.5mm jig/screw/drill bit etc. And yes, depend on type of the tank of course. Cheers!

Send via my Honor 4c using Tapatalk

Reactions: kelstasy

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
I've probably bought a half dozen coiling jigs. I can do a better job without any of them.

I have a few jigs also and only used them a few times, plain screwdriver is easier, quicker, better coil.

That said, the first couple dozen coils I ever did were definitely fraken-coils. They worked but were but ugly. Got better with just a little practice and a couple spools of wire.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Amazon can be a pretty decent source, especially with Prime shipping. Got wire cutters, needle point pliers, curved needle node and ceramic tweezers all from there. I can't remember where I got my 521 tab, but it was from a US vendor for less than an dealer on Amazon. Oh, and no long wait on a FT package for that stuff.

And as long as you're shopping for coil stuff, Temco is a great source for wire, both Kanthal and SS, free shipping out of CA and usually 3 days to me in NY. More than one "vape specific wire" out there is just rebranded Temco wire for a lot more money.

ValevGK

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2017
Fasttech is a good one because of the free shipping and cheap but it will take too long, because I'm here in the Philippines kinda hard to find a cheap good shop.
Just check another registered poste suplier for your order. U can find it when click on shiping metod and yes, it could be not free /like 2$/ but faster.

Send via my Honor 4c using Tapatalk

Reactions: kelstasy

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
Jig is not a thingy.. that's what a do-hickey is :p

I've used the CoilMaster 3 or whatever jig (two pieces, one male, on female, you rotate the female end and makes quick work of making a coil). It's pretty easy to get the hang of it (took me like 3 coils i think before i felt comfortable with it).

For a LONG time i was using drill bits with 28awg kanthal (from 2013-2016 - long time in vaping anyway), 1.6-1.8ohm single coils (.8-.9 dual). I've used 24ga up to 32ga, my preference for the last year or so is 26 ga (some times kanthal some times ss316) for around a .3ohm dual coil setup on a 3mm bit. i used a 2.5mm for the 28ga. over the last year or so I've used the coil rods that came with the Marquis clone i got - they are a lot more portable and i have no problem winding coils on a rod by hand.

26ga is pretty sturdy in kanthal - flimsier with ss as its softer metal. Either way, I figure if your screwing up your coil when threading your cotton you are doing it wrong (too much cotton, pulling it through at an angle, cotton not cut cleanly).

That's my experience anyway. Hope it helps!

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
Few things I forgot to mention.. I usually do dual compressed coils (microcoil / macrocoil whatever the correct terminology is...) or single spaced coils. Either way the number of raps and inner diameter stays about the same (3mm, 6-8 wraps -depending on mood, 26ga ss or kanthal).

Lower ohms and lower gauge wire means shorter battery life, hotter vape (lower ramp up time depending on wire mass), more liquid atomized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread