Newbie looking to start RMO ejuice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I have a wealth of info here from the stand point of tutorials and flavor discussions, but I have a question about different VG's/PG's as far as if they are any differences in taste. I was also wondering about what percentages of a nicotine base I should look to for best quality/taste in 6Mg. Is VG or PG based nicotine the preferred base? Thanks for assisting me with this info.

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
I guess I have a wealth of info here from the stand point of tutorials and flavor discussions, but I have a question about different VG's/PG's as far as if they are any differences in taste. I was also wondering about what percentages of a nicotine base I should look to for best quality/taste in 6Mg. Is VG or PG based nicotine the preferred base? Thanks for assisting me with this info.

Your best bet is probably to get 100mg in pg and mix from there. Quality should be about the same for either pg or vg as long as you buy from a reputable dealer. VG is slightly sweeter, but only a little. VG is thicker, and produces more cloud. PG tends to carry flavor better, is thinner and provides more throat hit.

Reactions: stols001
Your best bet is probably to get 100mg in pg and mix from there. Quality should be about the same for either pg or vg as long as you buy from a reputable dealer. VG is slightly sweeter, but only a little. VG is thicker, and produces more cloud. PG tends to carry flavor better, is thinner and provides more throat hit.

Thank you. I understand about the ratios and their properties. I was more concerned with any possible taste differences in different manufacturers PG/VG. Sounds like it is all pretty generic.

What about different NIC's? I see USP Organic and Amerinic Organic at Wizard Labs. Is there differences in taste between USP NIC and Amerinic. Just wanting to start with the best possible options.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think that flavor differences between brands of VG/PG aren't going to make a huge difference if they are USP grade, I mean, most impurities will have been filtered out. VG has a slightly sweet taste on its own, that bothers some people more than others. PG nic will probably be easier to work with, my nic base is in VG (I am sensitive to PG) and depending on the strength you buy, you probably won't be using that much of it, so I'd go with PG simply for ease of handling....). As far as nicotine, that can get a bit more complicated, and I think that the above recommendations will help you. Nicotine does vary a bit from vendor to vendor and there are different types of nicotine (e.g. Nicsalts) as well. May as well do some reading up before a big purchase (and I would make some small ones before The Big Purchase, just to be sure you are liking what you are receiving....) I did that with my first nic purchase, and while I'm still USING that bottle, because I liked the nic I bought higher quantities of it, to freeze and use in the future.

Anna

Reactions: McKinneyMike
I think that flavor differences between brands of VG/PG aren't going to make a huge difference if they are USP grade, I mean, most impurities will have been filtered out. VG has a slightly sweet taste on its own, that bothers some people more than others. PG nic will probably be easier to work with, my nic base is in VG (I am sensitive to PG) and depending on the strength you buy, you probably won't be using that much of it, so I'd go with PG simply for ease of handling....). As far as nicotine, that can get a bit more complicated, and I think that the above recommendations will help you. Nicotine does vary a bit from vendor to vendor and there are different types of nicotine (e.g. Nicsalts) as well. May as well do some reading up before a big purchase (and I would make some small ones before The Big Purchase, just to be sure you are liking what you are receiving....) I did that with my first nic purchase, and while I'm still USING that bottle, because I liked the nic I bought higher quantities of it, to freeze and use in the future.

Anna

My initial intent is to focus on higher VG juices (70%-80%). I prefer smooth to biting juices.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I prefer smooth juices myself, which is why I bought nic salts... They're reputedly smooth-hitting and my throat was in such horrible shape, the LAST thing I wanted was a harsh throat hit (though I understand why it can be satisfying...) Nic salts are reportedly (by some makers, like the Juul) also more quickly bioavailable and more closely mimic how nic hits you like "real" tobacco. I'm not so sure about those claims, as there are different ways of precipitating or however you do it chemically, nicotine into nic salts, but I ordered some from Nicotine River and I very much liked them, and found I wasn't using any MORE juice than regular nicotine.

Do know that Nicsalts haven't been studied much side-by-side to regular nicotine that's usually vaped.... Though as far as I can tell if I'm not combusting them and not using any more nic than I would ordinarily, I don't see a huge problem, but I am not omniscient or anything, so the fact remains: they haven't been much studied. Though Juul users are wandering around at a 50mg/ml level of nic salts (to be fair, the power in the device is low, you aren't getting a lot of vapor off one pull, but that lack of harshness is one way the Juul seems to be able to go that high in their cartos without people dying from 50/mg/ml throat hits....) and not dying off suddenly or anything.

So, they may or may not be useful to you. Some venders offer different levels in their nic "harsh, smooth, regular" but I have no idea what that actually means as far as the nicotine itself?

In any case, with 70-80% PG, you likely won't have a huge throat hit unless you do something like flavor very heavily with menthol or something like that, I'd think. In your situation I'd probably try some different nic from different vendors to see what you prefer....

Good luck,

Anna

Reactions: McKinneyMike

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
My initial intent is to focus on higher VG juices (70%-80%). I prefer smooth to biting juices.

Well, at 80% vg that leaves you 20% for your flavors and nicotine. If you have 3% nicotine in PG then you have 17% left for flavors which is about where a lot of my recipes are at. Even if the flavoring was 27%, which is very high, you would still hit 70% VG. If you use much higher than 3% nic. then that starts to turn the ratios. In that case you may consider going with VG based nic. but I find the PG based easier to work with so that is what I would recommend if it can keep you within your VG/PG ratio.

Well, at 80% vg that leaves you 20% for your flavors and nicotine. If you have 3% nicotine in PG then you have 17% left for flavors which is about where a lot of my recipes are at. Even if the flavoring was 27%, which is very high, you would still hit 70% VG. If you use much higher than 3% nic. then that starts to turn the ratios. In that case you may consider going with VG based nic. but I find the PG based easier to work with so that is what I would recommend if it can keep you within your VG/PG ratio.

Thank you for the input. I have been vaping 6mg nic juices since I started so I would stay close to that at least for the foreseeable future. It sounds like I will be working closer to 70VG/30PG ratios, which is OK. Most all of my favorite commercial vapes are in that range as a rule.

I don't like many of the commercial fruit juices that I have tried and most of the desserts either. I do prefer some of the sweet tobacco flavors so far, like 13th Floor's Django and Double Barrel Tobacco's Oak to name a couple. Trying out some of the Ripe Vine's VCT this weekend if it arrives as scheduled.

Vg anything is much thicker than pg & much harder to draw into & dispense from a syringe. How are you planing on mixing?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

I hadn't thought about mixing it yet. I have a digital scale for my measuring liquids. Is shaking not a preferred method with high VG mixes?

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA

I would say it depends on if you are vaping max VG or not. If your max VG then get 100mg 100% VG. That's what I use and it's a little pricey but a little bit goes a long way with 100mg plus with 100% VG you don't have to use any PG or if you do you don't have to use a lot. I saw another post on this thread mentioning get 100% PG. I would only do that if you vape 50/50 VG/PG or you use a higher PG ratio.

Hope that helps and good luck on your venture in DIY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread