Newbie Question: How do you vape a Reo Grand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

canonikon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2012
ny
Everything arrived, charged my battery.

Ordered the Reo Grand and Reomizer.

The instructions manual that came with the Reo Grand said

"Blow the primer out of your new atomizer then screw it into the atomizer connector"

Where's the primer in my Reomizer? What do I have to blow out? Of primer means old juice, why would there be old juice on a new atomizer? Maybe I'm wrong.

Then it said "You will want to prime your atomizer with 5-10 drops of your juice and then add your drip tip."

What does this mean?

Third question is it said "To feed the juice, gently pump on the bottle until you see juice appearing at the bottom of the atomizer in the catch cup."

So to vape the Reo Grand I have to vape it straight right? Cause if I vape it slanted or tilted the juice will fall out of the catch cup no?

Also, it came with a pack of black/greyish googy stuff, what do I do with that?

Sorry for the newbie questions...I'm just so lost and really want to see what's the hype with this $200 thing in front of me waiting for me to vape it.:blush:

Last edited:

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
Everything arrived, charged my battery.

Ordered the Reo Grand and Reomizer.

The instructions manual that came with the Reo Grand said

"Blow the primer out of your new atomizer then screw it into the atomizer connector"

Where's the primer in my Reomizer? What do I have to blow out? Of primer means old juice, why would there be old juice on a new atomizer? Maybe I'm wrong.
The instructions were talking about a new atomizer. You have the Reomizer it is not the same so it does not apply. Some atomizers come with primer in them. It tastes really bad. So blowing it out is a good thing to do.

Then it said "You will want to prime your atomizer with 5-10 drops of your juice and then add your drip tip."

What does this mean?

Again for new atomizers. Your Reomizer will need to have juice on the wick before vaping. Without juice the wicking will burn.

Third question is it said "To feed the juice, gently pump on the bottle until you see juice appearing at the bottom of the atomizer in the catch cup."

So to vape the Reo Grand I have to vape it straight right? Cause if I vape it slanted or tilted the juice will fall out of the catch cup no?

You can squonk until you see juice appear with regular attys. With the Reomizer you will squonk (push on the bottle) for just a couple seconds to feed juice. If you do get juice in the catch cup it will be drawn back into the atty or Reomizer when you draw or vape. You do not have to hold it straight up.

Also, it came with a pack of black/greyish googy stuff, what do I do with that?

That is Noalox. It goes on the tip of the firing mechanism. With the battery out you can see a little point that moves when you push the button down. That is where just a tiny bit of Noalox goes. It helps conductivity.

Sorry for the newbie questions...I'm just so lost and really want to see what's the hype with this $200 thing in front of me waiting for me to vape it.:blush:

We don't mind the questions. We want you to learn and enjoy your REO!

canonikon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2012
ny
We don't mind the questions. We want you to learn and enjoy your REO!

Thank you so much for the answers ! Much appreciated!

Okay I just filled the bottle and pushed the bottle to get the juice up.

I also opened the drip tip and put in 5 drops in it just to wet it.

But it filled up the Reomizer is that normal? Will it damage the Reomizer? Or that's the way it supposed to be? (filled up like liquid in a glass cup)

Also, how do I know when to stop the squonking? Should I just remove the drip tip and fill it all the way up to where the coil/wick is?

Not sure if I'm doing it right...when I inhale it feels like my lungs just tighten up or something. Maybe that's just how vaping is supposed to be? Or is that just because it hits like a frieght train? I just hope I'm not inhaling the juice into my lungs.

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
Thank you so much for the answers ! Much appreciated!

Okay I just filled the bottle and pushed the bottle to get the juice up.

I also opened the drip tip and put in 5 drops in it just to wet it.

But it filled up the Reomizer is that normal? Will it damage the Reomizer? Or that's the way it supposed to be? (filled up like liquid in a glass cup)

Also, how do I know when to stop the squonking? Should I just remove the drip tip and fill it all the way up to where the coil/wick is?

Not sure if I'm doing it right...when I inhale it feels like my lungs just tighten up or something. Maybe that's just how vaping is supposed to be? Or is that just because it hits like a frieght train? I just hope I'm not inhaling the juice into my lungs.

With the wick that came with the Reomizer it just needs to be wet. You probably did put a little too much juice in there. But don't worry, you can vape through it.

It is usually best to draw the vapor into your mouth then inhale. Yes, it is going to hit very good. No, you are not inhaling juice into your lungs. Just vapor.

There is a little hole on the side of the Reomizer for air intake. If you have way too much juice some might come out that hole. That is o.k. just wipe it off.

When you squonk with a filled bottle you only need to push on the bottle for a couple seconds. Really a quick push and then stop.

azzaman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
you only push enough juice up to wet the wick. that is all. Anymore and you are overfilling the reomizer. The idea is that you push juice up every couple of vapes to ensure that the wick is wet. A bottom feed RBA is not a tank or cartomizer. It is designed so that a small amount of liquid wets the wick and the excess travels back down into the bottle.

From what I have read you are over filling your RBA. I would take the cap off, dry with tissue paper, put the cap back on and push the bottle a little bit to wet the wick. Vape it a couple of times and push the bottle again.

The coil may be too low resistance. This may be why it feels too strong. Try making your own coil and see if that helps. When I first started rolling my own coils a few of them where what you have described. I removed them and wrapped a new coil.

Northernshrink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2012
Bracebridge Ont Canada
As usual Karen saves the day :D

Like Azz stated I would consider replacing the factory coil there's barely any wick on them you should find a big difference I changed mine after a day and found a huge difference.

Another thought as your new to Reo's if you have a regular atty or some Carto's maybe give them a try for a cpl of days you will be able to see the juice as you squonk and it may give you a better feel for it. The only difference I find (and I'm new to RBA's ) is I use the same squonk but hold it a little longer before releasing the bottle.

eHuman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
San Diego
For a very nice rebuildable bottom feed atty for your REO, (not cheap, but very nice addition), try the Chalice. There are 2 versions I and II. The design cut into the top is the only difference so it is aesthetic only. Both versions come in SS polished and SS brushed.
Mark Bugs

Chalice I.jpg chalice 2.jpg Chalice I

Chalice II.jpg Chalice II

Has a bowl shaped cup and you can't over squonk as any liquid not soaking into your wick flows back into the juice bottle.

Last edited:

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Yes, very nice indeed. I just got one and took me a couple of days and some guidance to figure out how to set up properly. Now that I understand how the coil needs to be built / installed its very easy to set up. It is such a great addition to the REO. Hornets have been relegated to the stash box for emergencies.

Problem is that you can't get em - their sold out.

And yes, the cost is high, but only one full day of vaping off one, I can say that you get what you pay for.

REO and Chalice, like Clyde said = vaping Valhala.

Shot thru cyberspace with my iGun

FisherPal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2009
Campbell River, BC
There is a bit of a learning curve with a REO - especially is you have never had a bottom feeder before. But hang in there ... it is so worth it! And once you have your method down, it will start to become second nature to you in no time. It took me almost a week before I got to the point where I knew how hard and how long to squonk without either flooding the atty or not getting enough juice up there. And I didn't start right off with a Reomizer either - just a good atty. Trust me - with a little practice, it will become easier and then before you know it, you're not even thinking about it - just enjoying a great vape!

jeapa

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2013
Delaware
Yes, very nice indeed. I just got one and took me a couple of days and some guidance to figure out how to set up properly. Now that I understand how the coil needs to be built / installed its very easy to set up. It is such a great addition to the REO. Hornets have been relegated to the stash box for emergencies.

Problem is that you can't get em - their sold out.

And yes, the cost is high, but only one full day of vaping off one, I can say that you get what you pay for.

REO and Chalice, like Clyde said = vaping Valhala.

Ah man I need to stop reading. I am thinking that chalice would look good on my new Reo.... I need to learn RBA's. Once I have the cartos down I am going to seriously think about adding one of those to my arsenal.

eHuman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
San Diego
Most people dont start off with a rba . I would never recommend it especially on a mechanical mod . I recommend learning on standard atomizers and cartomizers get a feel for running the mod and then move on to a rba

I get where you're coming from, most people don't start with them. But they start hearing about them long before they decide it is time to try them. That Chalice mention was more for the REO readers in general to see that BF RBAs are available for those that didn't know.

Most people don't jump to REOs or Provaris when they are new either, but some do.

eHuman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
San Diego
Ah man I need to stop reading. I am thinking that chalice would look good on my new Reo.... I need to learn RBA's. Once I have the cartos down I am going to seriously think about adding one of those to my arsenal.

FYI, there are less expensive BF RBAs out there to cut your teeth on, but you would be hard pressed to find one as nicely crafted.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Here's another valuable hint for when you use your REO for the first time:

Dont put your atomizer or carto on until you have done this:

After you fill your juice bottle, put it back in the mod. Now squeeze (squonk) liberally until you can see juice coming out the hole in the top. Do that a few times until it is consistent and get a feel for the amount of pressure required to feed the juice.

It seems that when you use it the first time there may be a slight air lock that must be overcome. It may also happen when changing bottles. I just singed the wick when I activated this red beast because in my excitement, I forgot to check for consistent flow. Now it's running perfect.

Like others have said, I also do this with my RBA on as soon as I have finished the build to see the effects of the squonk.

Did I mention that this metallic red anodized is a stunning looking mod? Damn that color is fantastic. I see needing all my future REOs in this color...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread