Newbie RBA wick question

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is probably a dumb question, but where on the wick is the vapor supposed to come from - only the area where the coil is, or will other parts of the wick produce vapor too?

This is my first mech mod, and maybe I just didn't realize it before and it's no big deal, but I'm seeing vapor come off the "tail end" of the wick - the end that's furthest from the coil itself.

I'm using a single microcoil (1 ohm) with an organic cotton ball wick on a nemesis clone with IGO L atti. Not sure the wire gauge cuz the guy at the vape shop did the coil for me.

I can post a pic once I get back to my computer if needed - on my phone right now and I don't see an option to add one to this post.

It should only come off the area where the coil touches the wick. The vapor, however, can travel down the wick making it look like it is coming from the end.

Hmm. That could have been what was happening. I pulled the wick and did a dry burn, so when I re-wick I'll have to see.

I know all this is relative, but is it "better" to have a shorter wick and a little juice sitting around it rather than packing a bunch of cotton in the bottom of the atti?

Depending on the build the vapor will follow the path of least resistance when vaporized. If the looks like the end of the wick then wala! As long is you are not getting burnt hits vape on! Be happy!

It's a single coil (I think it's called a microcoil, when the coils are all pressed together?), horizontal.

Did your vape shop give you any instruction on operating a mech mod safely or explain anything about your coil (other than to tell you it was a 1 ohm coil)?

They explained what they were doing during the build, told me about ohm and battery safety, and I got an ohm reader and a good charger. Are there other things I should know?

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
They explained what they were doing during the build, told me about ohm and battery safety, and I got an ohm reader and a good charger. Are there other things I should know?
I am so glad they did that. We hear everyday of vape shops selling people mech mods and sending them on their way with no education at all. That's why I first posted that your question scared me.

In case your vape shop did not have time to cover everything here are a bunch of great references by Baditude, our battery/safety expert. These should help you should you have any questions regarding battery safety, how to determine if your batterys are safe for the ohm level of your build (i.e. how any amps you are drawing from your battery) as well as what you need to be aware of when you are using a mechanical mod and an RDA/RTA.

If you have any questions about all this information please start a new thread with your questions and many members will be happy to help you. Good luck on your vaping journey:)

Definition of a hard short

Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected ICR?
- choose the safest and right battery for your applications here. Includes a list of name brand, high-drain, safe-chemistry batteries with mAh & amp ratings in 18350, 18490/18500, and 18650 sizes.

Rechargeable Batteries
- blog post on the preferred chemistry of batteries for mods by our forum administrator and resident battery expert Rolygate.

Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries pt 1
- what do the letters & numbers on batteries mean? What's the difference between ICR, IMR, and hybrid batteries?

Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries pt 2
- protected vs unprotected batteries, what is Ohm's Law, inline battery fuses, what is an AW battery, stacking batteries.

Technical: Why High Drain Batteries?
- technical explanation on why high drain batteries are required for a regulated VV/VW battery device.

Question for the Tech Engineers at Provape
- explanation of battery amp limits, internal resistance, and battery chemistry pertaining to regulated VV/VW mods.

Battery Specifications and Calculators
- self explanatory.

How to Use Your Multimeter

Video on How to Use Your Multimeter

Ohm's Law Calculator

Information Resources for Your First RBA

Mechanical Mod Proper Useage Guide

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
It's a single coil (I think it's called a microcoil, when the coils are all pressed together?), horizontal.
A micro coil is a coil wrapped around an object with a diameter of between 1.4-1.65 mm. Yes, the coils are usually all pressed together. They can be inserted in either direction (depending on your RDA).

Hmm. That could have been what was happening. I pulled the wick and did a dry burn, so when I re-wick I'll have to see.

I know all this is relative, but is it "better" to have a shorter wick and a little juice sitting around it rather than packing a bunch of cotton in the bottom of the atti?
If you search youtube you should be able to find some video on wicking an Igo-L with cotton. The general rule of thumb is less is more. You want enough cotton in the coil so that it is touching all sides but you still should be able to slide the cotton back and forth in the coil without moving the coil. You want some cotton touching the base of your RDA (on both sides) so that it is wicking all the eliquid from the base.

Last edited:
If you have any questions about all this information please start a new thread with your questions and many members will be happy to help you. Good luck on your vaping journey:)

Thank you! I'll definitely check out those links - the more info the better, and if I already knew it then I'll know it even more. :)

I have done both. It really depends. I use longs once to hold lots of juice. When I'm driving I dont have to refill. But the juice does get hot and can actually shoot little smoke streaks about 6 inches from the coil if they are heavily saturated. Obviously a smaller wick cant hold as much. If I push my coil down too hard into my "bed" of wick, without enough juice the wick will discolor, but the taste isnt effected. I just take the longer ends and slide them under the coils. But I think you are just seeing the juice get hot and flow around the wick like swanysto mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread