Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I have used everything else except the wire, the wire was 316L from geekvape.
Wicking material was cotton bacon v2, E-juice was my all-day vape, going into my serpent mini.
could be it's not thoroughly primed? I was just letting it sit for 5mins or so before vaping it. :/

I would think After 5 Minutes that even if you Didn't physically prime it, it would be ok.

But I always Prime a New Coil/Cotton by dripping on it Directly. Then putting the Tank/RTA/RDA/... back together. Might try dripping a few drops of e-Liquid on the a New Coil/Cotton to see it this cures it.

If not, it sounds like some Funky Wire.

frosc

Jan 23, 2017
I would think After 5 Minutes that even if you Didn't physically prime it, it would be ok.

But I always Prime a New Coil/Cotton by dripping on it Directly. Then putting the Tank/RTA/RDA/... back together. Might try dripping a few drops of e-Liquid on the a New Coil/Cotton to see it this cures it.

If not, it sounds like some Funky Wire.

thanks for the advice, I am dripping it directly into the wick and the coils, as I always do.

i'll mess with it some more later, popping my kanthal coil back in for now, cant afford to fiddle with it more for now cause work is a thing :D

Reactions: zoiDman

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
thanks for the advice, I am dripping it directly into the wick and the coils, as I always do.

i'll mess with it some more later, popping my kanthal coil back in for now, cant afford to fiddle with it more for now cause work is a thing :D

Hey No Problem frosc. We all try to Help each other here. That's what makes the ECF such a Cool Place.

It sounds to Me like the Wire is the Culprit. Because the Rest of your stuff has worked Before. And you Technique sounds good.

Might try picking up a small amount of SS Wire from a local Vape Shop and try it.

Or if you're not in a Huge Hurry, something like this...

$2.16 Authentic MKWS 316 Stainless Steel Pre-Coiled Wires for RBA Atomizers (50-Pack) - 28 AWG / 0.3mm dia. / 0.6ohm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

or

$2.20 Authentic MKWS 316 Stainless Steel Pre-Coiled Wires for RBA Atomizers (50-Pack) - 26 AWG / 0.4mm dia. / 0.32ohm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

I've used Lots of MKWS Wire from Fasttech. Never have had Any problems. And MKWS has Great Reviews also.

frosc

Jan 23, 2017
two dolla for 50-pack? thats super cheap.
yes I am planning to go to my local vape shop tomorrow see if they have some SS coils. iirc the one I often visit use mostly nichrome for their build, but we'll see.

im still getting that nasty flavor for 2-3 hits after i popped my kanthal coil back. was worried for a sec there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
two dolla for 50-pack? thats super cheap.
yes I am planning to go to my local vape shop tomorrow see if they have some SS coils. iirc the one I often visit use mostly nichrome for their build, but we'll see.

im still getting that nasty flavor for 2-3 hits after i popped my kanthal coil back. was worried for a sec there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah... 2 Bucks with Free Shipping is kinda hard not to Try.

Hey BTW - Here's a pretty good Vid on Building/Wicking the Goblin Mini.

The Tech the guy uses for wicking (at about 8:30) is what I use. And it works Very Well IMO.

frosc

Jan 23, 2017
Yeah... 2 Bucks with Free Shipping is kinda hard not to Try.

Hey BTW - Here's a pretty good Vid on Building/Wicking the Goblin Mini.

The Tech the guy uses for wicking (at about 8:30) is what I use. And it works Very Well IMO.

ya that's pretty much what I always did.

btw, update:
after I did some research :D, apparently I didn't pulse it enough, a LOT of hotspots in the coil. well beginner's mistake I guess :D
so I roll up another SS coil, pop it in, pulse+pinch+scrape+check thouroughly for any hotspots, and boom! good clean vape!

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
ya that's pretty much what I always did.

btw, update:
after I did some research :D, apparently I didn't pulse it enough, a LOT of hotspots in the coil. well beginner's mistake I guess :D
so I roll up another SS coil, pop it in, pulse+pinch+scrape+check thouroughly for any hotspots, and boom! good clean vape!

Right On. Good to hear you got to the Bottom of things.

Isn't it Funny how 1 little thing in the whole Building process can have such a Dramatic Effect.

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
Seems insane to use a dripper all of the time without a squonker. Look into a single rda and a squonker so at least you can go about your business without the need to drip all day.
I'm basically inside all the time so it's not a worry of mine.
However, I hear that people like to make a habit of going outdoors. :(

frosc

Jan 23, 2017
Right On. Good to hear you got to the Bottom of things.

Isn't it Funny how 1 little thing in the whole Building process can have such a Dramatic Effect.

How long is your average draw time on SS316L coils?
Im getting this burning sensation on my throat if I draw for more than 3s, it doesnt put out a bad taste though, I still get the flavor from my Ejuice, just this uncomfortable burning sensation :/
0.5ohm, 27 watts.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
How long is your average draw time on SS316L coils?
Im getting this burning sensation on my throat if I draw for more than 3s, it doesnt put out a bad taste though, I still get the flavor from my Ejuice, just this uncomfortable burning sensation :/
0.5ohm, 27 watts.

I average about 3 ~ 4 second hits.

What it sounds like is you are perhaps using the Wrong Amount of Cotton. Could be Too Much. Could be Not Enough. A good way to check this is to take a 3 Second Hit and the Immediately turn the Tank Upside so no more e-Liquid can reach the wick. Now Unscrew the base and look at the Cotton.

If the Cotton looks like it is Starting to Dry Out, Try using Less Cotton. And or Shorter Tails that have Pointy Ends.

I like to Cut the cotton Tails on an Angle. So when I bend them over they form kinda a Point that just reaches the Bottom of the e-Liquid Inlet in the deck.

I also like to use Plain Old de-skinned Cotton Pads. Like Muji Cotton Pads. I think it is Easier to work with than Cotton Bacon. And wicks just as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Makeup-Facia...F8&qid=1488127419&sr=1-6&keywords=muji+cotton

Last edited:

frosc

Jan 23, 2017
I average about 3 ~ 4 second hits.

What it sounds like is you are perhaps using the Wrong Amount of Cotton. Could be Too Much. Could be Not Enough. A good way to check this is to take a 3 Second Hit and the Immediately turn the Tank Upside so no more e-Liquid can reach the wick. Now Unscrew the base and look at the Cotton.

If the Cotton looks like it is Starting to Dry Out, Try using Less Cotton. And or Shorter Tails that have Pointy Ends.

I like to Cut the cotton Tails on an Angle. So when I bend them over they form kinda a Point that just reaches the Bottom of the e-Liquid Inlet in the deck.

I also like to use Plain Old de-skinned Cotton Pads. Like Muji Cotton Pads. I think it is Easier to work with than Cotton Bacon. And wicks just as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Makeup-Facia...F8&qid=1488127419&sr=1-6&keywords=muji+cotton

yeah i stuffed too much cotton in the juice channel it's messing up the wicking. i trimmed it to a V-shape with just the right ammount inside the juice channel. no more dry hits for now.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
yeah i stuffed too much cotton in the juice channel it's messing up the wicking. i trimmed it to a V-shape with just the right ammount inside the juice channel. no more dry hits for now.

That's kinda the Art in doing your own Coils. Knowing what each Atomizer needs wicking-wise to work the Best.

Sounds like you are Well on Your way.

:thumb:

Last edited:
Reactions: frosc

frosc

Jan 23, 2017
That's kinda the Art in doing your own Coils. Know what each Atomizer needs wicking-wise to work the Best.

Sounds like you are Well on Your way.

:thumb:

it's frustrating yet really satisfying once you got it all figured out :D
TC mode at 27w, 470f. no dry hits, clean, crisp flavor with SS coils. im in flavor heaven!

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
it's frustrating yet really satisfying once you got it all figured out :D

You're not the 1st person to say that. LOL. And Trust Me, it just get's easier as you go.

You'll get to the point where you can just Look at an New RBA Deck and know how much Cotton to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread