Newbie with an Ozone Smoke, what should I expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustCoz

Oct 7, 2013
Brewer, ME, US
First of all, Hi, my name is Corey, and I'm an addict. I've been a pack a day smoker for about the last 10 years. Being a huge geek, I spotted a deal on Newegg Flash on the Ozone Smoke starter kit, a battery, charger, and two cartridges (this kit) for $15. I decided it was time to quit (again) and bought 2. I've immediately dropped to half a pack a day. I think the thing I like the most is that I don't have to put down whatever I'm going, find the pack that I've left sitting across the room, and smoke a cigarette, I can pull the e-cig out of my pocket, take a drag, and get back to work. The main reason I haven't stopped entirely is that the nicotine content just isn't quite enough, especially since I bought one with full flavor and the other with medium, and I've already finished off the fulls.

Alright, so onto the newbie questions:
1. How long should these cartridges last? I went through my first 2 in 4 days, and haven't sat down and just smoked (vaped?) them, it's mostly been just a drag or 2 every half hour or so.

2. Where to get e-juice? I'm planning on swinging by the local smoke shop tomorrow to see what they have (ie more plain menthol to get me by), but I'm planning on ordering a bunch of different flavors from madvapes to try them out. Are they a good company to deal with?

3. For the moment, I'm just trying this out, I don't want to sink a bunch of money into e-cigs just to throw the stuff all away 2 months from now. Is the Ozone Smoke a half decent product? I see Magic Mist sells larger/better batteries for this, should I be looking at those, or are these good enough for now? Keeping in mind that I bought 2 so I could use 1 while the other charged.

4. I'm finding the weigh of the e-cig a bit awkward compared to a normal cigarette. How heavy are the bigger ones, like the eGo?

5. Is it common for people to use vaping to quit, ie after vaping for a while and stepping down the nicotine they quit altogether? Or do most people just keep vaping?

Aphex9

Sep 29, 2013
Guam
I'm assuming the cartridges are pre filled with liquid? They normally don't last long at all, tanks that are refillable are more economical and work better. A lot of people quit smoking and get sucked into e-cigs, and it becomes an even bigger hobby/addiction that smoking was initially. For me it was hard to step off after I started vaping, but it all depends on your intentions, vaping is healthier and none of the bad effects that real cigarettes do. I carry around a stainless steel mod in my pocket, so obviously it's different than carrying around a pack of cigarettes, but I get used to it, and I enjoy not smelling like a bon fire when I get home.

JustCoz

Oct 7, 2013
Brewer, ME, US
Yeah, the cartos are pre-filled, but the plugs are easily removable for refilling. So far today I've had 6 cigarettes, and 2 of them were right after I woke up, so I'm considering this a big win. I don't think I'm taking in nearly as much nicotine, either, since I'm noticing that when I do get a craving, a couple puffs on the e-cig is usually enough to satisfy it, when before I would have had a whole cigarette (and you want to smoke it all because the government's made them so damn expensive). I'm hoping that's the reason I've had nasty headaches the last couple days. I also found out that at least one of the cartos that I thought were empty really weren't, I'm not sure if it was my mistake or the batteries were low.

After this fairly cheap experiment, and doing some more research, I've ordered an Apollo Extreme starter kit, which was only like $45 with a discount code, and some ejuice. I'll be ordering more (much more, I imagine) when I get my next paycheck. I'm going to keep one of the ozonesmoke kits as a spare (they say they have a 30 day no questions asked return policy, but I emailed them 2 days ago and haven't gotten a response yet...). I'd like to find out a little more about the ozonesmoke, is there a site that will help me identify what it is, e.g. M401, M402, etc? I checked the battery and carto, it's a 3.7v battery and 3.0ohm carto, and the male threads are on the battery.

I've decided that I'm not ready to go the whole hog, I still want something fairly small, cheap, and basically resembling a normal cigarette. I work in a small engine shop, race at a local short track, work on my race car and other things nights/weekends, and generally spend a lot of time pushing against things and losing things out of my pockets (and I don't have shirt pockets), so I don't want something that if when I break or lose it is a great expense, and I don't want something that looks much different from a regular cigarette. I also have no intention of getting so far into it that I'm spending more money on e-cigs then with normal ones, one of the points is to save money so I can get an engine swap for my project car (an '84 Toyota Celica GT) and finish building another race car for the next division up.

A couple more questions:
I know you want to put the covers on after you fill/refill a carto, but do put them back on if you take off a partially filled carto?

Is there any way to tone down the LED on the end? If I'm driving at night, it's really bright, especially when it's on the charger and aimed practically right at me. Can I put a resistor inline with the LED to give it a bit of a voltage drop, or will that mess with the voltage output to the carto?

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Hello Just and welcome!

1. How long should these cartridges last? I went through my first 2 in 4 days, and haven't sat down and just smoked (vaped?) them, it's mostly been just a drag or 2 every half hour or so.

A standard size cartridge contains ~1 ml of juice or 20-25 drops. One drop is about 5-6 puffs.

2. Where to get e-juice? I'm planning on swinging by the local smoke shop tomorrow to see what they have (ie more plain menthol to get me by), but I'm planning on ordering a bunch of different flavors from madvapes to try them out. Are they a good company to deal with?

MadVapes is a great company, but they are known mostly for their hardware. If you're looking for great juice, I suggest you look for vendors who specialize (or make) their own juices.
3. For the moment, I'm just trying this out, I don't want to sink a bunch of money into e-cigs just to throw the stuff all away 2 months from now. Is the Ozone Smoke a half decent product? I see Magic Mist sells larger/better batteries for this, should I be looking at those, or are these good enough for now? Keeping in mind that I bought 2 so I could use 1 while the other charged.

Ozone Smoke looks like many other online cigalikes. Use it to get accustomed to vaping but do your research in the meantime. This is not a kit I would recommend; however, if it helps to introduce you to vaping, it's a winner!

4. I'm finding the weigh of the e-cig a bit awkward compared to a normal cigarette. How heavy are the bigger ones, like the eGo?

Vaping is not really like smoking. The sooner you realize it, the better. :) Ego batteries are not much longer or heavier than superminis you're using now, but they are fatter (15 mm diameter). Your ecig is ~9mm in diameter.

5. Is it common for people to use vaping to quit, ie after vaping for a while and stepping down the nicotine they quit altogether? Or do most people just keep vaping?

I don't know the numbers--some people love vaping and don't want to quit, some switch to 0 nicotine but continue to vape, others quit vaping altogether.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I know you want to put the covers on after you fill/refill a carto, but do put them back on if you take off a partially filled carto?

I'm not sure I understand your question. If you mean those silicone covers that sit on both ends of the carto, it's really up to you. Keep them on for longer storage, though.

Is there any way to tone down the LED on the end? If I'm driving at night, it's really bright, especially when it's on the charger and aimed practically right at me. Can I put a resistor inline with the LED to give it a bit of a voltage drop, or will that mess with the voltage output to the carto?

I have no idea--but I wouldn't mess with it.

JustCoz

Oct 7, 2013
Brewer, ME, US
Thanks for all your help! As I said, I've got some odd needs. I don't want anything with a hard plastic or glass tip that can break when dropped. I want something automatic, because I don't want the chance of hitting the button in my pocket and not realizing it until my pants catch fire or the battery explodes. I don't want something expensive to replace just the battery/carto if I lose it, something that weighs as much as a D battery, or something that looks odd, as in less like a drug store e-cig and more like a hookah or pot pipe. I've let the cops search my van 3 times but still get pulled over for a "blown" taillight or plate light on a regular basis, I have no idea why but really don't want to give them any reason to be any more suspicious. Based on that and this review, I ordered the Apollo Extreme kit, it sounds like a good quality kit that should meet my needs quite nicely.

MadVapes is a great company, but they are known mostly for their hardware. If you're looking for great juice, I suggest you look for vendors who specialize (or make) their own juices.

Any suggestions on where I should look? Right now I want to sample a bunch of flavors, and madvapes has the best deal I can find on 10ml bottles, ~$4 where other online retailers want $6-7. I haven't found any that offer "sample packs" in flavors that I'm interested in. I've got no local suppliers in my area except one of the smoke shops carries disposables, so that's not really an option.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Last edited:

JustCoz

Oct 7, 2013
Brewer, ME, US
Holy crap! The difference between the OzoneSmoke and the Apollo Extreme is like night and day. The physical and electrical properties are very similar between the two. The batteries and cartos appear to be interchangeable, and the Apollo cartos do work on the OS batteries, I'm not going to try it the other way (I don't care about frying an OS battery, but I don't want to kill an Apollo). Both batteries are 3.7v, but the Apollos cartos are 2.5ohm vs the OS's 3.0ohm.

As far as performance goes, huge difference. The first surprise was the battery response time. With the OS, I've had to suck on it a little to prime the battery before I take a drag. With the Apollo, the battery response is instant. The vapor quality is the biggest difference, it's more like the smoke you get from a regular cigarette, warm, heavy, and with a good hit. Some of this may be down to the different e-liquids, but I imagine a good part of it is because of the 2.5ohm carto. The other big difference is air resistance through the unit, it's much harder to pull a drag through the OzoneSmoke. Oh, and the Apollo's blue LED is not nearly as bright as the OS's green one, another plus in my book.

So far there are only two minor problems. The first is the USB charger, which has a dual-color red/green LED. The green LED flashes as the battery charges, and flashes faster the closer it is to charged. This is VERY annoying, and I imagine it will be worse when it's in the car at night. The second is that the cartos get warm after a few drags, which is a bit of a surprise.

All in all, extremely happy with my purchase. Now I've gotta get a couple of these cartos emptied so I can try some different flavors!

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Hi just and congratulations. The cartos will get warm if you chainvape or vape too fast. You need to learn how to take slow, long draws and then lat the carto rest for a while to let fresh juice flow to the heating coil. Most people who use small batteries have at least two or three of them going at the same time. If you're not careful, you may burn the filler in the cartomizer and then you'll have to throw it out.

For tasting new juices I recommend buying some blank cartomizers or small clearomizers--with no filler.

If you have any additional questions, visit Apollo's subforum:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/apollo-ecigs/

Last edited:

SchmidtyKy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
Anytown, USA

Just cover the LED light with black tape. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread