Newbie with flavor issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

december120964

Jun 11, 2014
Pennsylvania
Hi All
I am a newbie and looking for a good tasting ejuice.
I am still working on getting my taste buds back and having a horrid time with finding good tasting juice that I am getting very discouraged and want to go back to analogs.
I have found that the sweet pastry type ejuice are just not doing it for me - I cant taste them at all
The only types that are working for me so far is Cinnamon and Peppermint (not necessarily together)
So I am looking for bold flavors - in that category or maybe a sour in the family of sour patch kids etc

Any suggestions - maybe brand website ?

And not sure if this is the right place to ask but is there a certain kind of setup that will help with flavor??
I am currently using istick and ijust with a nautilus mini tanks

Really trying hard to get off of these but I am getting very discourage and also wasting a lot of money on ejuice that has no taste.

Oh and what about adding sweetener? If so what type ?

Thank you all in advance

Reactions: jeepstuff

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
I use a 50/50 type mix of lime/raspberry (won't name it as it's a french name) flavor wise keep in mind the more nicotine the mix has the more diluted the flavor becomes, also there's alot of factors which influence the flavor in the juice (i'm kinda new too so keep that in mind). I went with mostly fruity flavors since i'm not a dessert type of guy, and i use a nautilus tank on it's 2nd biggest hole for mtl operation.

In other words there's alot of things that influence/change the flavor some come out more a certain wattage,i've also heard using bigger airflows you get less taste,type of mix (50/50,70/30 etc) is it more pg or vg tank you're using etcs.

Reactions: jeepstuff

tazzle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Athens, Greece
Generally, mints and menthols, coffees, flavors with lime, absinthe, anise and licorice flavors tend to be the strongest. One sweet / sour / tart mix that I tried that was too strong for me was Hedon's Bite, though your mileage may vary, and it may not do it for you.

Something to keep in mind is that PG carries flavor better than VG, so if you are having trouble getting flavor it's probably better to avoid high-VG juices. Some places allow you to choose your ratios, which is helpful. I can't order there since I'm not in the US, but Heather's Heavenly Vapes is a favorite of a lot of ECF members, and they allow you to add flavor shots, add menthol, and choose your PG/VG ratio. Here's a page that shows a sample pack of some of their stronger flavors (but I bet if you contact them, they might have more ideas for you, for say, sour candy flavors, etc.).

Other than that, I think of Halo as having strong-flavored juices, and of course Pluid is the famous SUPER STRONG juice, but I've never tried it.

Reactions: dobroeutro

Aus11

Verified Member
Jun 16, 2017
Hollywood, FL
I quit smoking long before beginning vaping but I found that I still have general flavor issues. I have noticed that sour flavors. (Right now im using sour apple) are the easiest for me to taste because its hard to lose a sour flavor compared to a pastry. The tank and atomizer you are using will also make some level of difference. The .25s on mine blow better clouds while the .50s are better for flavor. Hope this helps

Cosmic_Glaze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2016
I quit on the Nautilus Mini. It's a great tank to start on. 2+ years later and I still vape on one. I like the 1.8ohm coils 13.5 watts. 50/50 juice is where it's at on that tank. You get the most flavor an throat hit from it. I would suggest at least a 18mg nic juice for that tank. (Or higher if needed) I was never a menthol smoker but when I started vaping I used menthol ejuice. I find it's full of flavor, gives you a little punch in the throat like a cig. You can even look for juices that are called Extreme Ice, or Artic Ice. It's a very strong menthol and mint flavors. You can also get a simple fruit or berry ejuice and add it with menthol juice to change it up.
If you want to try the mix of fruit n menthol try just adding the fruit juice to an existing tank to figure out how much of a ratio you like.
Fill up the tank 3/4 menthol/mint juice. 1/4 fruit ejuice. Give it a shake on your tank and vape it. You can make adjustments from there if you like 1/2 n 1/2 or whatever.
That's just a simple way to start then you can find out what fruit flavors you like.

The menthol juices I was talking about were not tobacco FYI. Just straight mint/menthol only

cybercat

ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2014
Greeneville, Tn ,USA
I will tell you not to expect strong food type flavor from e juice. I start with what you mention apple cinnamon and peppermint. One thing I was told true they coat your tongue so you can't taste other flavors.
Now I was doing low nic juice 8 down to 3. I am now on zero nic. I am a fruit candy person. Gave up all the mints and cinnamon.
Forget trying to find juice with a real strong flavor like real food. After vaping for a few minutes you loose flavor. DRINK water while vaping it helps keep flavor stronger.

IgnorantCig

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2015
new york
You might want to try Batch by Candy King, if youre looking for sour patch kids.

candy_king_sour_batch.jpg

Boogenshizzle

Unregistered Supplier
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Supplier posting outside authorized areas

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
You didn't say whether you are a former smoker or not. It takes a lot of flavor when you first quit smoking. Many vapers who previously smoked turn to tobacco flavors to replicate the flavors they had when they smoked.

After 7 years off cigarettes I always prefer lightly flavored juices. The ones I vaped when I was one or two years out from quitting are too flavorful now. You might want to try mixing your own if you don't find vendor juices you like. You get to add the amount of flavor that suits your individual taste.

Start here if you decide to try DIY.
DIY E-Liquid

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
@december120964, you had asked in another thread: "Have you ever heard if you sinus' can play a factor. It is summer and my sinus' really flare up.", and I didn't see any real replies to that question.

For me personally, the answer is a strong "YES!"; at least as far as affecting how well I can taste most things. If I have a cold, or my sinuses are stuffed up, I taste very little of anything, including food, beverages, and my vapor flavor.

I mention this because, though I have been cigarette-free (vaping only) since 12/28/2012, I still taste very little by mouth alone. I don't know if I permanently trashed my taste buds, after smoking a pack and a half a day (of full-flavor and unfiltered cigarettes); or, if other influences (food/drink) are to blame; or, if I just have underperforming tastebuds.:facepalm:

When I am NOT stuffed up, I can take a puff, and exhaling through my mouth and nose, I can taste the flavor. Then, doing the exact same thing, EXCEPT I pinch my nose closed (before I inhale; and hold it closed all the way though the exhale), and I taste NOTHING. I have repeated the experiment with different foods, and beverages (yes, all you smart aleks that are smirking; I mean by swallowing, and not inhaling;)), and the results are similar with a wide range of different flavors.

As a result, I have found that I am more prone to taste, more aromatic flavors. Flavors like banana, strawberry, orange, lemon, lime, coffee, cinnamon, mints, tropical fruits (pineapple, mango, papaya), vanilla, even honeysuckle (you would think this would be a light, delicate, flavor; but it is highly aromatic), all work reasonably well for me. Flavors that have little aroma (chocolates and watermelon are two that come right to mind) do nothing for me at all.

If you are having sinus problems; you may be experiencing something similar (to a greater, or lesser, degree).

That, combined with a fickle, middle-aged, addled brain (not being able to say what "sounds good" to me a lot of the time); I have found peace through vaping unflavored e-liquid a large portion of the time.

Unflavored is simply VG, PG, and nicotine; and most shops and on-line retailers offer it. It has a subtle sweetness to it, and though there is no real "wow" factor to it, I find it suprisingly satisfying. I don't get tired of it, and when I do treat myself to a flavor on occasion, I find it that much more enjoyable.

I don't have any vendor recommendations for you, as I have been solely mixing my own e-liquid (which we refer to as "DIY"ing), for nearly two years now. However, I would suggest you think about what flavors you turn to most often, when you can't smoke. It doesn't matter much whether it is gum, food, or beverage; but more about what the satisfying flavors are that can help curb you immediate need for a cigarette.

For me; it was wintergreen life-savers. I always seemed to have a roll of them in my pocket, and when I couldn't have a smoke right that minute, I would pop one in my mouth, and often I would find I wouldn't think about a cigarette again, for an hour or more. I found a local shop that made their own in-house e-liquid, and they happened to have a wintergreen flavor, that became my all day vape for more than a year, and was a big part of why I was able to quit.

So, as you search for something that is satisfying for you, if you focus your search on flavors/flavor profiles, which you already know help hold off cigarette cravings, you might have better success.

And, for what it is worth, I too never found that I cared for any of the "everybody-likes-this-one" flavors either, so don't worry about that. I understand you have a particularly tough time of it, living in Pennsyvania (with all the taxes, and regulations, on vaping), but I hope you are able to find something that works for you.:D

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Oh and what about adding sweetener? If so what type ?
I forgot to mention this in my previous post. Sweeteners can be a double-edged sword; as they will add sweetness to your recipe, but they can also mask the other flavors as well (EM, or ethyl maltol, is notorious for having this effect). They are also famous for clogging up coils more quickly; and that can get expensive if you are using more expensive coil-heads, like the nautilus minis use, and you are trying to stay on a budget.

If that is something that still sounds like you might want to experiment with, just sing out, and I, or someone else, can discuss the many different DIY sweetening options out there.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
For me; it was wintergreen life-savers. I always seemed to have a roll of them in my pocket, and when I couldn't have a smoke right that minute, I would pop one in my mouth, and often I would find I wouldn't think about a cigarette again, for an hour or more. I found a local shop that made their own in-house e-liquid, and they happened to have a wintergreen flavor, that became my all day vape for more than a year, and was a big part of why I was able to quit.

Funny you should mention that! I tried quitting smoking back in the 80s using peppermint Lifesavers. The next time I went in for a dentist appointment the dentist took one look in my mouth and said, "What has happened in your life? You have several new cavities!". I told him I quit smoking. He liked that, but told me that wasn't the problem. I them told him I had substituted Peppermint Lifesavers to help me quit. He said, "That's the problem! Switch to sugarless BreathSavers." I did and the problem went away.

Last edited:
Reactions: IDJoel

BoilerGuy

Unresolved Status
Sep 13, 2016
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I had smoked a pipe but developed coughing when smoking in the morning so I began vaping. I had a Kanger top box mini used 18 mg nicotine, I saw vapor but never got any flavor. I guess the nicotine worked and I was able to stop any tobacco smoking. I'm down to 3 mg nicotine now and it's been a year. Switching to the Eleaf Pico was my first experience of getting flavor. The original Pico is still being sold at a reduced price,
I got into making my own e liquids and have plenty of flavor now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread