Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
That was quick.
Yeah, I know. :blink:

I'm going to keep these samples going indefinitely. But.. I really wonder if decanting them from their original bottles has made it more apt to "turn" (due to some aeration while pouring) than if I had left them in as they were, which was ostensibly argon purged.

Trouble is, the original bottles were dark, not clear, which made them a poor choice for this test.

Still, I'm tempted to add some other samples to this test. E.g to take one of my 120 ml bottles of NN Armor V1 out of the freezer while keeping another from the same batch as the control. Trouble is, those bottles are also amber, so we won't learn anything in the short term. In fact, I'll have to open/rebottle both at some point in order to see anything at all.

The only nic I ever bought that came in clear (plastic, presumably #1 PET) bottles to begin with was from VT, but I see nothing on their site that indicates they argon-purge. Still, I think I'm going to order a couple of 120ml bottles from them, leave them sealed when they arrive, and see what happens with one in the freezer while the other stays at room temperature.

Is anyone aware of any other nic that comes in clear bottles to begin with?

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Another thing I wonder is whether temperature affects the optical characteristics of the solution. The stuff that's been kept in the freezer almost looks lighter than when I put it in there, but that may be due to the thin layer of frost on the bottle; I'm not sure.

I think what I'm going to do the next time (2 weeks from now?) is to put both in the fridge overnight so they are at the same temperature (but not cold enough to frost over) before taking the comparison picture.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
No it comes in white plastic bottles from Liquid Barn.
:(

I wonder if the color change was due to sunlight?
You mean my room temperature sample? Nope, it's been in a closed metal box (see the last pic in post #1). There's no more like light in there than in the freezer.

Reactions: gnees

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Agreed. Nic concentration and flavor. :)
I plan to do that at the end. But that won't be for some time; at least 6 months, maybe a year.

And to be honest, I've never done a titration to check for strength. So perhaps someone with experience will volunteer?

Reactions: Katya

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
I plan to do that at the end. But that won't be for some time; at least 6 months, maybe a year.

And to be honest, I've never done a titration to check for strength. So perhaps someone with experience will volunteer?
I can help.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
That IS a surprising change.
And there's got to be some other variables in play - the original nic age perhaps?
Because I'll pull something like 6 months of nic from the freezer, and store that at room temp for the duration. And I've never seen it change that much. It looks, quite frankly, perfectly clear. Though it could have a slight tint if I did a side-by-side, I KNOW I'd notice that much color. Lately, it's been sourced from Nude Nic and gone freezer on delivery in original bottles.

• Agree
Reactions: MMW

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
That IS a surprising change.
And there's got to be some other variables in play - the original nic age perhaps?
Because I'll pull something like 6 months of nic from the freezer, and store that at room temp for the duration. And I've never seen it change that much. It looks, quite frankly, perfectly clear. Though it could have a slight tint if I did a side-by-side, I KNOW I'd notice that much color. Lately, it's been sourced from Nude Nic and gone freezer on delivery in original bottles.
I've seen it before in a matter of weeks when kept at room temperature, back after the I doled out the samples for the Blind Test we did in the Nicotine Comparisons thread. I was quite quite shocked by how much the remainder of those nics darkened. However, they had a LOT of headspace in the bottles; there was only about 35-40 ml left of each one.

The other question I have for those of you who say that your nic doesn't change color when stored at room temp: Is it PG nic or VG nic? I think this might make a difference. Some of what I have coming from VT and will be included in this test is VG. I also have the same nic coming in PG...

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
@Rossum

Hi. I have just transferred a lot of nic that was sat in the shed outside for 8 months in a large, sealed HDPE plastic container.
It tastes absolutely fine and I just read your OP and am guessing that I should have no problem?
HDPE (apparently) does not leach any problematic chemicals.

Would you be concerned at all?

Thanks

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
@Rossum

Hi. I have just transferred a lot of nic that was sat in the shed outside for 8 months in a large, sealed HDPE plastic container.
It tastes absolutely fine and I just read your OP and am guessing that I should have no problem?
HDPE (apparently) does not leach any problematic chemicals.

Would you be concerned at all?
What does it look like?

If it tastes OK, I'd vape it.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
What do you propose to use as a "Standard" to compare the experimental samples against.
I don't know that we need a "standard" per se. What we'll have is samples that were kept at room temperature and samples (from the same batch) that were kept in the freezer. So I think all that really matters is whether the room temperature samples have lost potency compared to the matching control sample that was kept in the freezer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread