Not open for further replies.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
The other question I have for those of you who say that your nic doesn't change color when stored at room temp: Is it PG nic or VG nic? I think this might make a difference. Some of what I have coming from VT and will be included in this test is VG. I also have the same nic coming in PG...

I don't store my nic at room temperature at all. Everything is in the freezer in small dark bottles, NN, Armor (both kinds, with and without argon). I only keep one small dark glass bottle of 50 mg/ml (rebottled and remixed to my preferred PG/VG ratio) on hand for my unflavored vaping or for mixing with other flavored juices. That in-use bottle is kept in my fridge (well hidden and labeled NOT FOOD :)). Just poured some out--only a slightest yellowing, barely there. And that nic had been exposed to both UV light and oxygen several times.

Having said that, DVap always maintained that the fastest and most severe oxidation occurs during the vaping process itself, when the liquid is exposed to high heat and oxygen. ;)

Anyway, I'll be following your experiment closely, but I'm going to continue to store my nic in dark glass, with little head space and in the freezer. Kurt's experiments confirm that stored this way, the nicotine solutions last the longest. He tested his stash after 5 or 6 years and found no change in nic concentration, flavor or color.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I don't store my nic at room temperature at all.
Nor do I -- except when the power is out. I do have a few liters that got left behind at my house in FL when we bugged out ahead of Hurricane Matthew. They reverted to room temperature for something like 10 days. I'm not terribly worried about them, but it did make me curious, and then there are a number of people in the "stocking up" threads that have asked how much difference keeping it cold actually makes, so I decided that somebody should find out. :D

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

The other question I have for those of you who say that your nic doesn't change color when stored at room temp: Is it PG nic or VG nic? I think this might make a difference. Some of what I have coming from VT and will be included in this test is VG. I also have the same nic coming in PG...

I have about 2/3 of a Liter of 100mg/ml PG Nicotine Base that has been stored in the back of a Dark Closet. It is in a 1L Amber Glass Bottle with a Poly Cap.

It started life 3 Years ago as 1L that came from Heartland Vapes. It had a Very Faint Tan Tint to it when I received it.

It has been Opened Many Times to draw off and make 10mg/ml Unflavored Pre-Mix. Each time I draw some off I use a Clear Glass Graduated Cylinder.

I have Not Notice any change in Colour, Smell or perceive Potency.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Mine's in VG. And it could be changed a bit - I don't have large volume in clear glass at any point (only pulling 6-7 mls of it to make a 100-120 ml bottle of juice) - but it's PRETTY clear...

I've seen it before in a matter of weeks when kept at room temperature, back after the I doled out the samples for the Blind Test we did in the Nicotine Comparisons thread. I was quite quite shocked by how much the remainder of those nics darkened. However, they had a LOT of headspace in the bottles; there was only about 35-40 ml left of each one.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

BTW - Here is a Link to a FAQ about Nicotine Base Changing colours.

Will nicotine liquid remain clear for the life of the PG/VG?

Xtreme Vaping used to be kinda the Resident Experts on Nicotine Bases way back in the day. And that FAQ page has some Links that take you back to the ECF for some of Kurt's Posts.

Not sure if it Helps. But I thought I would throw it out there.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
BTW - Here is a Link to a FAQ about Nicotine Base Changing colours.

Will nicotine liquid remain clear for the life of the PG/VG?

Xtreme Vaping used to be kinda the Resident Experts on Nicotine Bases way back in the day. And that FAQ page has some Links that take you back to the ECF for some of Kurt's Posts.

Not sure if it Helps. But I thought I would throw it out there.
Yeah, there's little doubt that the darkening is a sign of oxidation, which has occurred much more quickly at room temperature than at freezer temperatures in these particular samples. What we don't know yet is whether it's significant to either the taste or the strength, or whether it will continue. In principle, it should stop once all the oxygen in the bottle is used up, and at some point back, Kurt calculated that there simply wasn't enough oxygen in a sealed bottle of nic base to have a material effect on the nic's strength.

But that doesn't speak to the nic's taste or harshness. A year and a half ago, I mixed up all the 3 darkest left-overs from the blind test after they'd been at room temperature with a lot of head-space in plastic bottles. I ended up vaping it all, but it was some of the least pleasant nic I've had.

Oh, and a somewhat off-topic aside: Taking a quick browse through those old threads linked from XV's site, I find it interesting that people used to be much more leery of 100 mg/ml nic base than they are today. It seems like 100 mg was borderline controversial back then. o_O

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
I think the darkening varies much, so it's hard to make a definite "answer" to this. One member previously here used to buy alot of nics from varies sources, and some he reported darkened much faster than others, e.g. color turn in a month time in non-freezing-environment. He e.g. stopped buying from VT because of that.... Long ago however... I have no idea why, e.g. if it's the cutting process, VG/PG water amount, water-added-to-vg-base, viscosity-differences, bottle/caps or nic-source related...

Last edited:
Reactions: Rossum

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I think the darkening varies much, so it's hard to make a definite "answer" to this. One member previously here used to buy alot of nics from varies sources, and some he reported darkened much faster than others, e.g. color turn in a month time in non-freezing-environment. He e.g. stopped buying from VT because of that.... Long ago however... I have no idea why, e.g. if it's the cutting process, VG/PG water amount, water-added-to-vg-base, viscosity-differences, bottle/caps or nic-source related...
Interesting. Did he also keep a "control" batch in the freezer?

I have six 120ml bottles coming from VT. Two are their "premium" nic in PG. Two more are their TH nic in PG, and the last two are their TH nic in VG. Assuming they are in clear bottles as my orders from them in previous years were, none of them will be opened and one of each will go in the freezer while the other stays in a metal box at room temperature.

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
No, I don't believe so, as not approached as scientific as yours and so a little bad example, sorry. Also, to all, please don't take the above as me stating VT darkens faster as there's no evidence of that whatsoever, and it's just one unverified opinion it came from, long ago, and it was maybe a batch issue, who knows.

Unrelated, Kurt once stated one of his PG nics turning in the freezer whereas the few others(PGs) wouldn't, though that was speculated to be of less quality also, so bad comparisson, but nonetheless.

Thank you Rossum for your testings :)

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

But that doesn't speak to the nic's taste or harshness. A year and a half ago, I mixed up all the 3 darkest left-overs from the blind test after they'd been at room temperature with a lot of head-space in plastic bottles. I ended up vaping it all, but it was some of the least pleasant nic I've had.

That's a Tough one.

Because I have read posts where People say that there Nicotine Base tastes more Harsh over (Room Temp) time without a Darkening of Colour. And I have read posts where People say their Nicotine Base has changed Colour, but the was No Difference in Taste.

Taste is All so Subjective.

Just Me, and with regards to PG Nicotine Base, I think there is More going on when an Nicotine Base turns Harsher than just Oxidation of Nicotine. I know this Isn't a Chemically Robust opinion. But I don't think Nicotine Oxidation is not the Only Bad Actor in some situations.

---

Yeah... Views on 100mg/ml have changed Dramatically since I joined the ECF. So have Prices.

---

BTW - Have you ever heard of a Nicotine Base turning a Faint Pink Colour?

Reactions: Rossum

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
BTW - Have you ever heard of a Nicotine Base turning a Faint Pink Colour?

I've seen it, but don't recall the circumstances.

In the days when I was purchasing ejuices ready made regularly, I had two of particular note. I think both were relatively high in nicotine content. I has a few juice in rotation so the bottles were around a while at room temperature. One turned a deep amber color, the other a pretty brilliant rose color. Whether or not it was psychological, I sure enjoyed those juice and more as time went by.

Reactions: zoiDman

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Yeah... I have seen it First Hand back in 2010.

I was Very New to DIY at the time. And the Threads that I read were kinda Over My Head chemistry-wise. So I just Tossed the Nicotine Base.

The Reason I mentioned it was that some said that the Pink Colour could be caused by the Chemical Compounds/Acids being added to the Nicotine Base by the Retailers to alter the Ph or other properties of the Nicotine Base.

I just don't know Exactly how Nicotine is Chemically derived from Tobacco? Or how variations to the Process(s) can have an effect on Colour Change to the Finished Nicotine Base?

Types of nicotine base liquid

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Yeah... I have seen it First Hand back in 2010.

I was Very New to DIY at the time. And the Threads that I read were kinda Over My Head chemistry-wise. So I just Tossed the Nicotine Base.

The Reason I mentioned it was that some said that the Pink Colour could be caused by the Chemical Compounds/Acids being added to the Nicotine Base by the Retailers to alter the Ph or other properties of the Nicotine Base.

I just don't know Exactly how Nicotine is Chemically derived from Tobacco? Or how variations to the Process(s) can have an effect on Colour Change to the Finished Nicotine Base?

Types of nicotine base liquid
Mine tends to turn pinkish after awhile. I figured I just needed to wash my syringes better. Well, this explains my 3rd arm....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread