Nic Levels and Throat Hit

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarpoM

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2013
oak view california
So i was always to understand that the amount of mg of nic determines the throat hit. Recently, I read something saying that actually it's the amount of PG in the juice. I currently vape at 18 mg of nic. I would love to get down to a much lower amount of nic, but I don't want to lose the "throat hit". The amount of vapor isn't as important.

Should I simply increase the amount of PG in my juice?

Thanks for any help

Darren

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Just go in small(ish) steps on the reduction, @HarpoM. As Eskie says, both nic and PG will impact TH, but taking small steps can help you fine tune the mix to your tastes. I'd suggest leaving the ratio alone for the first step down and see how it works for you. A slight reduction in the nic shouldn't make a big difference, but tastes vary :)

And remember that some flavors have more "kick" than others, so that's another avenue to explore.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
As DavidOck said, take things easy when making changes. I try to never change more than one variable at a time, or else you can never be sure what actually works. Change the nic first if you prefer. See where you are. Then you can adjust the PG separately. Remember, nic is there for more than just throat hit. You still want enough that you don't end up craving a smoke.

Reactions: DavidOck

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I agree that nic, pg, and power can effect TH some, but also some other things play into it as well. One can be location of coil, usually further away from airflow the stronger the TH. Also I believe the smaller and longer the chimney is on an rta. Now if your doing an rda there is no chimney, but in an rta, I have found that the taller and more narrow the chimney is, the more intense the TH.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
So i was always to understand that the amount of mg of nic determines the throat hit. Recently, I read something saying that actually it's the amount of PG in the juice. I currently vape at 18 mg of nic. I would love to get down to a much lower amount of nic, but I don't want to lose the "throat hit". The amount of vapor isn't as important.

Should I simply increase the amount of PG in my juice?

Thanks for any help

Darren
My experience is the most important variable with throat hit is a fresh wick and clean coil. For the sake of throat hit I rewick twice a week, about every 25 ml. Usually after some weeks replacing the coil helps too even when it seems to be very clean. I like to hear some sizzle off the coil and that's most common when everything is fresh. One of the reason I use rda's and not tanks is rewicking is easier. 10 seconds to drip 12-14 times a day is not a problem.

Reactions: vapdivrr

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
All above post are great one thing also is airflow via the coil heads bottom pin hole size connector.
My experience with the bottom connector pins airhole as show in picture can also effect throat hit.

For instance i use the joyetech mega v2 tank with a 1.00ohm clr coil with 12mg nic and 94%pg 6%vg
the pin on the clr 1.00 ohm connector is very small and i get a nice satisfying throat hit.

I also have some .5 ohm clr coil heads and removed the pin (there interchangable) which has a larger diameter hole in bottom of pin and my throat hit diminshed to point where is was too light.
So i put the smaller 1ohm pin back into the bottom of clr.

I also use the wismec amor plus tank which takes a rebuildable coil and make 1.00 ohm coils, the bottom of the pin hole is even larger at least twice as large as the clr .5 0hm pin and the throat hit is very poor to point where for my personal vape is what i call airy.

Shown are 2 pins clr on left and wismec amor plus on right.
The big airhole in pin on right greatly diminished throat hit.
Even adjusting the afc(air control flow) more restricted on the tank had a negative effect as it made the vape rather harsh tasting , there was no adjusting it to point of satisfaction.

What i did then was take the 1 ohm clr pin and its silicone gasket and it fits perfect into the wismec amor plus coil head along with its original gasket and the throat hit was back to my satisfaction.
HPIM0871 (Medium).JPG

Here is wismec coil head outfitted with clr pin and gasket with original pin removed works great now.
Shown is wismec and clr coil heads.
HPIM0870 (Medium).JPG

Reactions: vapdivrr
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread