nic reducing benzodiazepine effects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

louie325

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2015
i have noticed when i vape and take my medication for anxiety the medication does not last long given that the medication i take doesnt last long to begin with
2 hours max of relief i use it to instantly kill a panic attack
when i vape i get maybe an hr or less of relief unless its a complete placebo effect

Reactions: Exflyboy22654

2buildawall

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Bellingham
Definitely talk to your Doc.

Nicotine is a stimulant. I assume you are taking Xanax/Alprazolam. I would recommend not vaping during a PA. After the adrenal dump is over and you are utterly exhausted then have a vape or three.

Also with benzos you will develop a tolerance over time if taking them on a regular schedule. If your Doc will let you up the dosage to get you through it might be worth a try. Hang in there brother.

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
Definitely talk to your Doc.

Nicotine is a stimulant. I assume you are taking Xanax/Alprazolam. I would recommend not vaping during a PA. After the adrenal dump is over and you are utterly exhausted then have a vape or three.

Also with benzos you will develop a tolerance over time if taking them on a regular schedule. If your Doc will let you up the dosage to get you through it might be worth a try. Hang in there brother.
How would upping the dosage help? I'm in the same boat as the OP. I've been regularly taking benzos for a couple months now and recently started to wean off. I've been having trouble but I steadily vape and haven't really noticed any direct adverse effect on the medicine from vaping but I understand the depressant/stimulant counteractivity that may occur. Though I remember learning in psychology a long time ago that people addicted to nicotine (I think the article may have specifically referred to cigarettes at the time) may experience the adverse effect of the stimulant when satiating a craving: as in, where in a non-user, a nicotine rush may cause stimulant effects, in a user it actually helps return one to homeostasis and in turn calm the user.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: crystalluv545

2buildawall

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Bellingham
How would upping the dosage help? I'm in the same boat as the OP. I've been regularly taking benzos for a couple months now and recently started to wean off. I've been having trouble but I steadily vape and haven't really noticed any direct adverse effect on the medicine from vaping but I understand the depressant/stimulant counteractivity that may occur. Though I remember learning in psychology a long time ago that people addicted to nicotine (I think the article may have specifically referred to cigarettes at the time) may experience the adverse effect of the stimulant when satiating a craving: as in, where in a non-user, a nicotine rush may cause stimulant effects, in a user it actually helps return one to homeostasis and in turn calm the user.

In my opinion Docs are afraid of benzos so they prescribe small dosages. Often times the dosage is not enough to get the short term desired effect. Upping the dosage would give the desired effect of stopping or lessening the effects of the PA. This is only a short term solution. Benzos are meant for short term use but many people use them for years or decades. Why? They have not come up with a better solution for short term relief. CBT is worthless if you are in a constant state of anxiety. Once you achieve some relief the therapy can start and be rather effective.

Regarding nicotine, I agree with you but we are all different. In general nicotine can be soothing and the process of vaping distracting. We are very sensitive to the "power of suggestion" and just knowing nicotine is a stimulant could throw someone off. I personally find vaping very therapeutic.

louie325

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2015
didntt know if i could mention xanax or not but yes i am prescribed xanax
i am quite content on where i am with xanax i only use as needed and never take over .25mg even .25mg is pushing it i usually take half its just strong enough to calm me down during a extreme panic attack
i dont use them daily nor frequent last time i took one was 2 weeks ago and have been able to stay at such a low dose for over 8 months already but yes talked to my doc already nicotine can be a stimulant and can also have anxioltic properties which is why its likely the cause of the why i dont feel the effects for to long
think of taking some xanax then 15 mins later drinking coffee they will counter act each other
simple solution no need to do anything medication wise just dont vape during the on set and during the peak of the medication
and as i always like to help others out
use xanax like you would use tylenol AS NEEDED

Last edited:
Reactions: 2buildawall

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
Nicotine can react with a lot of medications...

The reality is everyone has anxiety from time to time. I'd look for ways to deal with it other than being on an never ending cycle of meds., like exercise. Anxiety is loss of control; when one is exercising they are in control of that activity. Even if it is just using Power Putty...

Reactions: zoiDman

louie325

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2015
Nicotine can react with a lot of medications...

The reality is everyone has anxiety from time to time. I'd look for ways to deal with it other than being on an never ending cycle of meds., like exercise. Anxiety is loss of control; when one is exercising they are in control of that activity. Even if it is just using Power Putty...

my sentiments exactly
anxiety is fear driven i had a rough life in my childhood even within the past recent years
i lost grip of things and well S4!t happens lol
i can get through most attacks just fine but there is some that are a doozy so i take medication
no different from someone having a headache and taking tylenol
this whole topic was just something i observed while taking medication and vaping
and i got a good answer from my doc take it with a grain of salt but i hope the info does help someone
not many answers to my question when i searched online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread