Nichrome melting in triple series use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foggyroomz

ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2014
Indiana
So I built a twisted build out of nichrome 60 wire and tried it on a triple series 18650 mechanical box and it melted the coils why won't nichrome work with any series boxes 8.4 volt melted 12.6 volt melted but I can build a .06 nichrome build and run it on my mech tube mod and it handles it I can build .15 and run it at 150 watts on my sigelei and it handles it but bump up the voltage and it melts don't get it. I ran a .30 nichrome build at 260 watts on a SMY 260 and had no failure of the coil so I'm puzzled why a series mech box desemates the coils?

rhelton

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2014
spokane, wa
When your in wattage mode and running that low your not getting anywhere near that high voltage. High voltage vaping is fun and enjoyable but you gotta get the ohm load higher too do it.

150 watts @ .15 needs 4.74 volts and 31.62 amps
250 watts @ .15 needs 6.12 volts and 40.82 amps

Your trying to vape at over 470 watts. Slow your roll cowboy your pushing the limits too far :thumbs: thats crazy high lol.

.30 @ 8.4 is 235w your gonna have a hard time keeping that under control. Your VW mods are not giving you the correct voltage trying to vape that low. They have amp limits and voltage caps. I hope that makes sense.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
So I built a twisted build out of nichrome 60 wire and tried it on a triple series 18650 mechanical box and it melted the coils why won't nichrome work with any series boxes 8.4 volt melted 12.6 volt melted but I can build a .06 nichrome build and run it on my mech tube mod and it handles it I can build .15 and run it at 150 watts on my Sigelei and it handles it but bump up the voltage and it melts don't get it. I ran a .30 nichrome build at 260 watts on a SMY 260 and had no failure of the coil so I'm puzzled why a series mech box desemates the coils?

If you could ............ no offence intended............... if you could put a sentence together you might get an answer.

Reactions: WonderDude32

LilWhiteClouder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2015
Raleigh, NC
I feel like I'm tootle puffin here with my Nichrome 80 coils I built to .3 with 8 wraps (9/8) of 26 & 28 g twisted paralleled wrapped with 28 g on each side. I want to raise my watts higher than the mech can produce on a full batt, around 57. But I'm not sure I can handle the wattage that OP has been mentioning.
Curious if this happened while vaping, as Alice questioned. Nichrome melts at 2550.2 F (1399 C). That's a hot hit!!!

Reactions: Ohm Gnome

Sgt.Rock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2014
The Poconos
Nichrome will heat up faster than Kanthal--so if you're seeing this happen when dry burning then what's happened is that you overheated the metal...to have the same effect on Kanthal I bet you could recreate it by heating it longer...

Just pulse burn/heat the Nichrome coil until it starts to glow unless it's wicked and saturated and I'd bet it will do the job properly. Abusing a thin piece of wire with high current flow resulting in high heat will always result in failure--some just heat and fail sooner than others.

Foggyroomz

ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2014
Indiana
Hey Sarge it did this while juiced and wicked that's why it's puzzling me that 12.6 volts of direct current just destroys the coil.
The kanthal coils built to same ohm was barely a 1 second hit but didn't go into meltdown status it just produced an enormous amount of vapor in very short order dang near instantaneously to be honest.
I did run lower ohm builds of the same wire on a 4.2 volt mech and a .15 ohm of same material at 150 watts on my Sigelei 150 with no issue.
I even ran the same twisted wire at a .30 on my friends SMY 260 triple 18650 box at 260 watts which is 90 some odd watts higher than the build I was trying to run on the triple series mech box and it ran with no faults. I guess triple mech series boxes are just kanthal creatures and aren't nichrome friendly.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
VV/VW units self regulate to a certian amperage limit... a set of 3 seriesed 18650 have no regulation and will deliver full amps available considering the resistance..... VV/VW are prone to voltage drops at the ohms/watts you are trying to push... kinda like driving the car up a hill... you have the pedal to the floor but the car isnt doing the 120mph as it would on a flat road...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread