nichrome or kanthal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Never liked Nichrome myself, I got one of those sensitive palletes, especially when vaping unflavored which is my main juice, I can taste and tell if the wicking is cotton, silica, ceramic, SS Mesh, as well as if the wire is kanthal, nichrome, or nickel, haven't used titanium in my tc builds yet so can't say. Needless to say I bare with the taste of nickel tc builds atm, nichrome has an off metallic taste that makes me cringe so I stay away from it. Depends what you are wanting to do, lower resistance to add an extra wrap or two to your coil surface contact, or lower resistance with the same amount of wraps as kanthal to make a hotter coil.

GingerNutz

Aug 27, 2015
I think everyone has a different preference. I've been vaping about 2 - 3 years now and building my own coils for about 4 months. I always used Kanthal until a few days ago. Got a 5m reel of 26g Nichrome.

Installed 2 x 14wrap coils into my Buddha and all I can say is, it felt like an explosion of flavour in my mouth. The taste seemed cleaner, I could taste the various elements of the liquid more than Kanthal builds. Plus it heats up quicker, so the hit is there from the moment you fire your mod.

All depends on the person though. Build 2 identical builds, 1 Kanthal and the other Nichrome and taste test for yourself! :)

Sgt.Rock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2014
The Poconos
I used Kanthal for about a year before switching to Nichrome...and I've stayed "switched" ever since.

For me, the big reasons are these:

Nichrome, having lower resistance, allows larger coils at a given resistance. For example, a 6 wrap 24 ga Kanthal coil vs an 8 wrap Ni80 24 ga measure approximately the same ohms.
Nichrome heats faster--especially noticeable with fatter wires and twisted coils.

Pick up a spool of Nichrome 80 from Temco and check it out...

Reactions: zoiDman

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
You can only use nickel with a temperature controlled mod. You can use kanthal on atc mod but you will not get tc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nichrome 60 and 80 are completely different from Nickel Ni200. Nichro 60 and 80 been used with rebuilding about as long as kanthal, the difference is Nichrome has lower resistance than kanthal due to kanthal has iron, ceramic, and aluminum in it gives it higher resistance instead of Nichrome just has mainly Nickel and Chromium. It does have its advantages and disadvantages over kanthal, which are it ramps up faster and hotter than kanthal but has a lower melting point than kanthal does. You have to balance out what you are wanting to do and several other factors.

Only advice I really have to give in making that decision is to be safe with what you choose to use.

Reactions: sahsah

Rivas

Aug 29, 2015
Nichrome 60 and 80 are completely different from Nickel Ni200. Nichro 60 and 80 been used with rebuilding about as long as kanthal, the difference is Nichrome has lower resistance than kanthal due to kanthal has iron, ceramic, and aluminum in it gives it higher resistance instead of Nichrome just has mainly Nickel and Chromium. It does have its advantages and disadvantages over kanthal, which are it ramps up faster and hotter than kanthal but has a lower melting point than kanthal does. You have to balance out what you are wanting to do and several other factors.

Only advice I really have to give in making that decision is to be safe with what you choose to use.
so you mean that nichrome 60/80 has lower resistance but less durable and heats faster while kanthal has higher resistance and lower melting point?
but white does Nickel Ni200 MUST be used with temp control?

pramonn

Apr 4, 2014
Bangkok
Yup....I'm with "stalkster" its Coke or Pepsi question.

I have both and use both.
Buy a little of this and those playing around with coil building, Parallel,Twisted, Clapton, and etc.
That is one of the fun part of vaping.

P.S. To be safe while having fun make sure you collect useful info. given by above members and exploer more in specific area you may need.

sahsah

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2013
los angeles, california, USA
Never liked Nichrome myself, I got one of those sensitive palletes, especially when vaping unflavored which is my main juice, I can taste and tell if the wicking is cotton, silica, ceramic, SS Mesh, as well as if the wire is kanthal, nichrome, or nickel, haven't used titanium in my tc builds yet so can't say. Needless to say I bare with the taste of nickel tc builds atm, nichrome has an off metallic taste that makes me cringe so I stay away from it. Depends what you are wanting to do, lower resistance to add an extra wrap or two to your coil surface contact, or lower resistance with the same amount of wraps as kanthal to make a hotter coil.
Really?? I'm surprised to hear that, everyone I've spoken to on nichrome swears by it and saids it produces a much cleaner and clearer flavor from their liquids. What version of nichrome were you sing, was it n80?
My only concern/reservation in regards to nichrome centers around the fact that it contains a lot of nickel and given the recent information spreading about how nickel could be unsafe, well you can see why I'd be concerned...

sahsah

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2013
los angeles, california, USA
Also, what kind of wicking are you using? I've heard nichrome produces a weird taste when utilizing anything other than organic/Japanese cotton to wick it...

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Really?? I'm surprised to hear that, everyone I've spoken to on nichrome swears by it and saids it produces a much cleaner and clearer flavor from their liquids. What version of nichrome were you sing, was it n80?
My only concern/reservation in regards to nichrome centers around the fact that it contains a lot of nickel and given the recent information spreading about how nickel could be unsafe, well you can see why I'd be concerned...

Ni80 20awg on a cloud competition 0.16 quad coil in a Patriot RDA. Wicking was organic cotton, all I mainly use for my wicking due to ease of getting ahold of, flavor, and ease to build with. Not the only device that had an off metallic taste to it, the Innokin iClear30 and iClear16 tanks that came with my SVD's and MVP's had the same distinct taste come out at the back end tone of any flavored liquid I was using at the time, not the nickel I was tasting I learned after using Ni200 in one of my subtanks, believe it was the chromium.

There in too is another reason nickel builds don't bother me as chromium is a bit more toxic than nickel to an extent I have heard. With my palette its all a matter of getting used to tones to not pay attention to them, had to do it with almost everything I've vaped with, silica, ekowool, SS mesh and SS cable in genesis tanks, kanthal, nickel, cotton, organic cotton, rayon, bamboo, hemp wicking, etc, just can't get over the taste of Nichrome it seems, could even be due to reaction with to the few silver fillings in teeth I still have. Took me almost 6months getting used to metal drip tips is how sensitive the metallic tones are to me which is surprising given I smoked for the better part of 25years to learn just how sensitive my taste was to even such minor tones within a month of fully transitioning to vaping from smoking to dual using to vaping. Doesn't help I also have OCD, and since started vaping, I like to control just how much I am taking into my body from types of foods to types of flavors I vape on, etc, I've become mildly eccentric in my health habits you could say.

Not trying to scare anybody off from using Nichrome, just giving my experiences thus far

Sgt.Rock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2014
The Poconos
Also, what kind of wicking are you using? I've heard nichrome produces a weird taste when utilizing anything other than organic/Japanese cotton to wick it...
I wick my N80 exclusively with Rayon (Sally's cellucotton) and have no complaints at all. I did use cotton (sally's cellucotton--100% cotton version) back about 6 months ago and it was also fine.

Reactions: Boden

Scotticus93

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
Yorktown, Virginia, United States
What's wrong with nickel again. I'm thinking of picking up nichrome. I've already given up on ni200. Just don't like working with that flimsy wire. Been using kanthal. My vape shop guy said nichrome pops when you dry fire and stuff flies off. But I read on here that's just the weld between the nickel and chromium breaking

Reactions: GranFumador
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread