Nichrome wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Retired in Houston, Texas / USA
Not a clue, I'm afraid. I'd be very interested to hear if anyone's managed to put together a homebrew atomiser.

I'm working on ideas, but right now, I'm repairing what I have if possible. I have dozens of new spares, but when one goes out, it's like an old friend. I just can't let go. Even the ones that are totalled, are in a container for parts.

Drewsworld

Resting In Peace
Mar 14, 2009
New Jersey
www.nhaler.com
Have you guys heard of disposable atomizers? I cant understand why you would go through all the agg of rebuilding thes things...Im not trying to sound like a wise ... or anything but it seems like the other s are so much less trouble and you can refill those also...I actually learned on a thread on this site....I always see people writnig about
801s and 901s and im choking on the smoke out of the others and wondering why?
Oh well, there was a post earlier today in mod about using fishing wire (stainless steel) I will see if I can find it and post the link...Good luck

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Have you guys heard of disposable atomizers? I cant understand why you would go through all the agg of rebuilding thes things...Im not trying to sound like a wise ... or anything but it seems like the other s are so much less trouble and you can refill those also...I actually learned on a thread on this site....I always see people writnig about
801s and 901s and im choking on the smoke out of the others and wondering why?
Oh well, there was a post earlier today in mod about using fishing wire (stainless steel) I will see if I can find it and post the link...Good luck

This is just a spare time thing for me. Sort of a hobby.
I'm a Field Service Engineer and travel the world troubleshooting equipment. I was a machinist for 30 years before I started traveling, and dealt with some very tiny components. Some parts were laser cut, and I had to measure optically. Measurements were in microns. So an atomizer is huge to me.

I'm almost ready to retire. In a few years, if the e-cig issue gets ironed out favorably, I feel that with a few bucks, a small shop with mini machine shop equipment, I could start a good business on the side.

If the bottom drops out of the e-cig, I can last longer repairing my own.
Works both ways.

Nicfits

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Texas
www.e-smokers-forum.com
here it is (Braided stainless leader wire for att coils) ...oh I aint to sharp on the links, But that the thread ...good luck

Drewsworld, I think the purpose of the stainless wire you are referring to is to make the connections from the batt connector to the atty coil. Not for the coil itself. S.S. will not work for the coil itself. It does not share the same heating characteristics as Nichrome.

Jim, I am not sure what the gauge/diameter of the Nichrome is in our attys. I posted a link to a website in Tejas Vapin/ Local suppliers thread that gives all the physical characteristics of all grades of Nichrome. Different sizes will require different lengths to acquire a desired temperature at a given voltage/amperage. I believe most attys work well at around 3.3 ohms, so depending on how big your atty is going to be and how long a piece of Nichome you can use, will determine the size of the wire. Jim, I will PM you.

breakfastchef

Moved On
Feb 12, 2009
Put me in your contact list.

This is just a spare time thing for me. Sort of a hobby.
I'm a Field Service Engineer and travel the world troubleshooting equipment. I was a machinist for 30 years before I started traveling, and dealt with some very tiny components. Some parts were laser cut, and I had to measure optically. Measurements were in microns. So an atomizer is huge to me.

I'm almost ready to retire. In a few years, if the e-cig issue gets ironed out favorably, I feel that with a few bucks, a small shop with mini machine shop equipment, I could start a good business on the side.

If the bottom drops out of the e-cig, I can last longer repairing my own.
Works both ways.

puff-puff-pass

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Alberta
Have you guys heard of disposable atomizers? I cant understand why you would go through all the agg of rebuilding thes things...

Simple...What if all the attomizers were built off of one persons design? Would it not be better to have different designs? What if Jim discovers something that the others have overlooked? What if Jim finds a way to have an "everlasting-no clogging-heavy vaping-mutha of a design" result?

"EUREKA" is another term for "Holy ....! I did it!"....just much more paraphrased :)

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Simple...What if all the attomizers were built off of one persons design? Would it not be better to have different designs? What if Jim discovers something that the others have overlooked? What if Jim finds a way to have an "everlasting-no clogging-heavy vaping-mutha of a design" result?

"EUREKA" is another term for "Holy ....! I did it!"....just much more paraphrased :)

Like I say, I'm only researching and playing right now. It may be months or more of part time research. My travels take my world wide, so I get a chance to search in unusual places. And also, because of the travel, my research is 90% design and 10% hands on shop work. At this time, I'm playing with the RN4018 attys. If and when I run across something good, I'll definitely share it with the other modders here.

Drewsworld

Resting In Peace
Mar 14, 2009
New Jersey
www.nhaler.com
I am also a retired Engineer...I helped Design and Develope the Metasys System with Johnson Controls World Services...Retired when I was 38, and opened a new company at 42, I have started and sold 3 companies since???? I understand tinkering and the like ...I dont really have the time to do that stuff right now or I would probably be doing the same thing your doing Jim...My feild of expertise was Electrical Control..For some reason I still remember the formula for incutive reactance...2PfL...2pie X frequency X amps ? ????

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Jim, I am not sure what the gauge/diameter of the Nichrome is in our attys. I posted a link to a website in Tejas Vapin/ Local suppliers thread that gives all the physical characteristics of all grades of Nichrome. Different sizes will require different lengths to acquire a desired temperature at a given voltage/amperage. I believe most attys work well at around 3.3 ohms, so depending on how big your atty is going to be and how long a piece of Nichome you can use, will determine the size of the wire. Jim, I will PM you.

The site was excellent, thanks. Has a lot of good info. The new attys for the 4081 are showing 3.5 ohms. I don't yet know what max temperature is yet under normal operation. I have a few plans.

1) Research a more durable heating element that will create the required heat to atomize the juice, but will withstand a lot more heat to burn off the built up waste. More or less, zap it with 2x or 3X the power to clean the coil. High heat will burn off the gunk.

2) Try to get away from the coil type as another design. The coil that I just dissected had build up inside the coils. Trying to get the buildup from inside is what finally broke the nichrome wire. I want to play with a different configuration but still be able to fit it inside the atty body.

3) A possible straight wire heater. The right diameter and length, could possibly result in hardly any buildup. And cleaning any buildup from a straight ridged surface would be easier.

4) Convert the attys to take replacement coils or heating elements. The bridge in the 4081's just pull out, and can be replaced easily. Think of a coil or element that can do the same thing. The coil could just be wound, and the ends pushed into connectors. Without replacing the entire atty body, and only replacing the coils would be dirt cheap. You could form hundreds of coils for pennies.

Maybe it's all a dream, but we'll never know until we try.

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
I am also a retired Engineer...I helped Design and Develope the Metasys System with Johnson Controls World Services...Retired when I was 38, and opened a new company at 42, I have started and sold 3 companies since???? I understand tinkering and the like ...I dont really have the time to do that stuff right now or I would probably be doing the same thing your doing Jim...My feild of expertise was Electrical Control..For some reason I still remember the formula for incutive reactance...2PfL...2pie X frequency X amps ? ????

I don't have much time either, but I'm sort of a hyper person, and I'm always looking for things to keep me busy. I go a little at a time. If it works, it works, and if it don't it don't. And maybe the information we pass along may make some young hot shot rich. At least we can say we've been there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread