Nichrome wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Retired in Houston, Texas / USA
Another ex field circus engineer checking in. I traveled the world resurrecting dead minicomputers for the good of all mankind, until I came to my senses and switched to programming them instead.

I still enjoy it. And after 40 years of marriage, my wife don't give a s**t where I am, as long as I send the money home.

Vince1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2009
Down South, USA.
Last edited:

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009

RjG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2008
Edmonton AB Canada
ya, my roll of nichrome is lost forever. I even called McMaster a couple times - they just refuse to ship to Canada any more, dammit.

P.S. - that's in the neighborhood of a couple thousand feet on that 30 buck roll :)

I think I'll have to post a thread begging the next guy who orders from there to get me one too :)

vslim

Feb 19, 2009
Houston TX
Quote Drewsworld, I think the purpose of the stainless wire you are referring to is to make the connections from the batt connector to the atty coil. Not for the coil itself. S.S. will not work for the coil itself. It does not share the same heating characteristics as Nichrome. Quote

No, the stainless is for the coil. Since there are only about 6 threads in this subforum it would have been easy to check. Stainless steel has a high proportion of chrome, relatively high resistance, and poor heat conductance. I wish people would stop posting convincing 'facts' in a technical forum when they have not bothered to check them, or do simple experiments. Something you can play with while waiting for your wire to show up.

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
ya, my roll of nichrome is lost forever. I even called McMaster a couple times - they just refuse to ship to Canada any more, dammit.

Did they give you a reason why they won't ship to Canada? I checked their web site, and they ship internationally. Maybe they don't ship residential? I'm waiting for the next time I go to Chicago, and I'll go to their main office.

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Jim: I have an account at Mcmaster, been ordering from there for many years. They used to ship to Canada. It was a "recent policy change". I talked to several people there, no dice.

Wow - that's sorta weird. I put you in my notes. I'll give you a shout the next time I get to Chicago.

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Jim, you are pretty close to where I live. I ordered like 50 feet of nichrome 80 .004 wire for like $25 shipped. If you want, you can buy 25 feet from me when it gets here for $10. :)

actual price shipped was $27.24 from pelicanwire.com

I'll PM ya in a few minutes.

vslim

Feb 19, 2009
Houston TX
Does any one know what the Wick is made of on the 901.

The ones I have from bestecig.com do not have a wick, just some tiny rock-hard little doodad that the coil is wound around. I can't figure out what it is made of. Maybe ceramic but doesn't seem like it, more like a bit of hard plastic. It didn't seem to be melted.

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
The ones I have from bestecig.com do not have a wick, just some tiny rock-hard little doodad that the coil is wound around. I can't figure out what it is made of. Maybe ceramic but doesn't seem like it, more like a bit of hard plastic. It didn't seem to be melted.

Plastic would melt, and would be toxic. Probably a type of ceramic. Maybe the inside material is just for support of the coil.

You can get nichrome wire in 1-2 foot lenghts from some thing like WOODLAND SCENICS Hot Wire Foam Cutter you can buy the kit and some times can find it at a hobby shop in short lenths for the foam craft cutters.
(Foam Cutter Replacement Wire (model ST1436) sold in a package of 4 ft. length. Special nichrome wire retains an even temperature needed to cut foam products. Use with Hot Wire Foam Cutter and Foam Cutter Bow & Guide.)2$

sberri

May 7, 2009
Stainless Steel is a bad choice overall, it can't be soldered, its heat chacteristics suck, and the individual coils will short out if they touch. Nichrome is by far the best choice. First of all, it can be soldered. Secondly it's designed to handle constant temps over 2000 degrees F. Lastly, nichrome has a great side effect once current is ran through it and it heats up. Chromium Oxide forms on the surface of the wire and insulates the coils from each other. Chromiun Oxide is black and has a powder look to it. This, I believe, is the "black soot" everyone complains about not being able to "clean" off of their attys. Flat Nichrome rings or spirals could very well be an alternative to coils.....food for thought.

:evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread