Nicotine absorbtion from e-cig use: Comparison between First and New Generation Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunter

Feb 1, 2010
Australia
First here is the link to the article, quite an interesting read.
Nicotine absorption from electronic cigarette use: comparison between first and new-generation devices : Scientific Reports
I am going to summarise this article in the following post with a few indicative equations for people to use.
This thread is written based on my own opinion and research and is open for discussion.

This article was written in 2014 and based on older technology.
srep04133-f1.jpg

In 2016 we have the addition of: (This study should be repeated for todays technology)
  • Sub Ohm coils
  • Much higher wattage than the 11W the eVic was capable of
  • Much better designed tanks than the Evod.
  • Temperature Control
The below graph represents "Percent difference in plasma nicotine levels between first- and new-generation devices at each time point."
What is plasma nicotine levels? It is the amount of nicotine carried by the plasma in your blood.
At 20 minutes, use of the new-generation device resulted in 71.6% higher plasma nicotine levels compared to the first-generation device. The difference was reduced in subsequent timing points but was still 49.0% at 65 minutes. This is after taking 10 puffs on the device, with 8hrs of abstinence as illistrated above.

srep04133-f3.jpg

Now let us look at both e-cigs compared to cigarettes.
Data for tobacco cigarette was derived from Vansickel et al7. Nicotine levels after smoking a tobacco cigarette in 5 minutes (18.8 ng/ml) are 185% and 286% higher compared to using the first and new-generation electronic cigarette device respectively. Additionally, plasma nicotine levels after smoking one tobacco cigarette are almost equal to the values after using the new-generation device for 35 minutes (18.52 ng/ml), while they are 73% higher compared to the values after using the first-generation device for 35 minutes (10.88 ng/ml).
srep04133-f4.jpg
Basically it takes 5 mins for a real cigarette to give you your hit. It takes 35 minutes for the New Generation device to hit the same levels of nicotine in plasma.

Based on the way most of us vape, we no longer go out for a smoke, then wait and then go out for another smoke. It is more like less puffs more often spread over time, which in affect keeps our nicotine plasma levels up there.

I will do some equations to help you decide what nicotine fluid level is best for you.

According to most of the data out there, including CDC cigarette data, you absorb less than 1 mg of that nicotine when you smoke a cigarette. According to studies, it is about 0.95 mg so for sake of simplicity, we’ll go with 1 mg of nicotine absorbed with each cigarette smoked.

Now for you smokers out there that smoke 2mg, 4mg, 8mg, 16mg cigarettes this is a different measurement. It is measuring mg of tar contained in a cigarette not mg of nicotine. No matter what cigarette you smoke it contains roughly the same amount of nicotine be it a 2mg or 16mg tar cigarette.

Please take into account the post in the below link. Yes it is true we do not have any imperical data as yet to base a true equation but lets assume 50% of the nictotine present in your e-liquid makes it to your vapour. i.e. 18mg e-liquid = 18mg of nicotine per 1ml of e-liquid.
If we vape 1ml of 18mg e-liquid, this means we inhale 9mg of nicotine for every ml of fluid we consume.
Tobacco cigarette vs e-cigarette nicotine equivalency

If you are a 25 cigarette a day smoker you will require the following level of nicotine to match your
TOTAL NICOTINE INTAKE PER DAY.
(Amount of Cigs per Day) X (mg of Nicotine Absorbed from each cigarette)
= 25 X 1mg
=25mg (Total intake of nicotine per day)

TOTAL NICOTINE INHALED FROM STRENGTH OF E-LIQUID

12mg nicotine per ml of e-liquid / 50% = 6mg of nicotine in vapour per ml of e-liquid
18mg nicotine per ml of e-liquid / 50%= 9mg of nicotine in vapour per ml of e-liquid
24mg nicotine per ml of e-liquid / 50%= 12mg of nicotine in vapour per ml of e-liquid
36mg nicotine per ml of e-liquid / 50%= 18mg of nicotine in vapour per ml of e-liquid

THE TOTAL MILLILITRE CONSUMPTION OF EACH STRENGTH OF E-LIQUID TO MATCH 25MG TOTAL NICOTINE INTAKE PER DAY IS AS FOLLOWS
12mg e-liquid = 25mg / 6mg = 4.1ml Total e-liquid consumption per day
18mg e-liquid = 25mg / 9mg = 2.7ml Total e-liquid consumption per day
24mg e-liquid = 25mg / 12mg = 2.0ml Total e-liquid consumption per day
36mg e-liquid = 25mg / 18mg = 1.3ml Total e-liquid consumption per day
If you change the 25mg in the above equations to the amount of cigs you have a day you will have your own figures.
This equation assumes the body absorbs the whole 50% of the nicotine in the vapour, until more research is done this is the best I have come up with.

I have converted many Smokers to 100% Vapers sine 2009 by using the above equation and they hardly ever complain about nicotine hunger (Craving). It seems to satisfy. I personally do not recommend 36mg fluid to beginners as I have given myself nicotine poisioning with this especially on a night out. If you smoke 16mg (Virginia) cigarettes using less then 18mg e-liquid will give an unsatisfying throat hit.

There is the few out there that seem to be addicted to the other alkaloids in cigarettes. See Whole Tobacco Alkaloid E-liquid | E-Cigarette Forum or e-cigarettes not work for you? try whole tobacco alkaloid e-liquid (WTA) it actually works!, page 1. Nicotine is an alkaloid and is only 90% to 95% the total alkaloids in tobacco. This is why Nicotine patches and other Nicotine replacement therapies do not work for some people.

Addiction at the end of the day is a psychological issue, be it from chemicals acting on the dopamine pathways in the brain, associated behaviour of having a smoke with the morning coffee, the cessation and feeling (throat hit) of a cigarette, the hand to mouth habit.

There are many other factors that effect the equation. Different physiology of different people, different vape gear and efficiency of nicotine delivery etc. etc. the list goes on. It is a science that has not been conquered yet.

To convert to E-Cigs from Conventional Cigarettes you will need to want to do it. You can choose to replace your habit with vaping or you can wean yourself off by reducing your nicotine intake and strength. Associating your nicotine intake with a different flavour is a phenomenon as well i.e. You can have a Strawberry lolly after vaping Stawberry e-liquid and trick your brain as a placebo.
I know people that have smoked for 20 years or more and are now non-smokers and non-vapers after just 3 months of vaping.

Please give me some feedback in regards to the above equation and tell me if it is close to your experience?

With some other users posting I could possibly refine this equation:
Old Smoking Habit:
Smokes Per Day=
mg Tar Per Cig= (this just for throat hit factors)
E-Liquid Consumption fresh off the Smokes:
Volume (ml) per day=
Strength (mg)=
Current E-Liquid Consumption:
Volume (ml) per day=
Strength (mg)=
Years Vaping=

CLICK BELOW LINK FOR CALCULATOR (SELECT EDIT IN BROWSER)
SMOKING TO VAPING E-LIQUID CALCULATOR

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
@zoiDman In your experience would you say the above equation is close to your consumption?

I average about 8ml/day using what I would consider Modern Equipment. And that 8ml is 9mg/ml.

And when I Smoked. I smoked on average 20 Cigarettes/day. And each Cigarette I smoked rated at about 1mg of Absorbed Nicotine.

Reactions: hunter

hunter

Feb 1, 2010
Australia
9mg e-liquid = 20mg / 4.5mg = 4.4ml Total e-liquid consumption per day
(So close to double what is needed) I am guessing this has evolved over time?

12mg e-liquid = 20mg / 6mg = 3.3ml Total e-liquid consumption per day
18mg e-liquid = 20mg / 9mg = 2.2ml Total e-liquid consumption per day
24mg e-liquid = 20mg / 12mg = 1.6ml Total e-liquid consumption per day
36mg e-liquid = 20mg / 18mg = 1.1ml Total e-liquid consumption per day

How about when you first went from smoking to vaping? Has your consumption changed?

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
With some other users posting I could possibly refine this equation:
Old Smoking Habit:
Smokes Per Day=25
mg Tar Per Cig=24mg I think (Newport 100s) (this just for throat hit factors)
E-Liquid Consumption fresh off the smokes:
Volume (ml) per day= 2-3mls
Strength (mg)=18mg
Volume (ml) per day= 3-5ml
Strength (mg)=3mg
Years Vaping=3 and a half

Answers within.

hunter

Feb 1, 2010
Australia
Answers within.

Old Smoking Habit:
(Amount of Cigs per Day) X (mg of Nicotine Absorbed from each cigarette)
= 25 X 1mg
=25mg (Total intake of nicotine per day)

9mg e-liquid = 25mg / 4.5mg = 5.5ml Total e-liquid consumption per day
12mg e-liquid = 25mg / 6mg = 4.1ml Total e-liquid consumption per day
18mg e-liquid = 25mg / 9mg = 2.7ml Total e-liquid consumption per day
24mg e-liquid = 25mg / 12mg = 2.0ml Total e-liquid consumption per day
36mg e-liquid = 25mg / 18mg = 1.3ml Total e-liquid consumption per day
Your total nicotine consumption per day was 18mg to 27mg in vapor.
Looks like you were on target with 2-3ml per day of 18mg e-liquid.

Volume (ml) per day= 3-5ml
Strength (mg)=3mg
3mg nicotine per ml of e-liquid / 50% = 1.5mg of nicotine in vapour per ml of e-liquid
3ml per day = 1.5mg X 3ml = 4.5mg Total nicotine consumption per day
5ml per day = 1.5mg X 5ml = 7.5mg Total nicotine consumption per day
You total nicotine consumption per day has come down.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Getting ready to walk out the door.

But I'll chime in Later with my Thoughts.

Sorry for Not getting back to this Thread Sooner. Have gotten sidetracked a Lot lately.

What I was going to mention is that my Total Nicotine Intake, and subsequent Nicotine Absorption, has changed Dramatically since I Quit Smoking.

When I quit, as you know by your Join Date, Hardware was Vastly Different than it is Today. And people used (an average) Much Higher Nicotine mg/ml Levels. 2009 era Hardware just Didn't produce the Volume of Vapor and Related Absorption Rates that Today Hardware does. Or even what the Average user started using in 2012 ~ 2013.

Another thing, which I probably should have Mentioned, is that my Vaping Habits have Changed in the last 18 Months or so even though my Hardware hasn't.

And that is because I am Semi-Retired. And I find I Vape Much More because I have Much More Free Time. And am in a setting where there are No Restrictions on Vaping.

When I have a Day where I Don't have to do Much, I tend to Vape Heavily. More out of Habit and sometimes Boredom. Where on Days where I have a lot to do, or I am in Places where Vaping is Not Allowed (or I choose Not to out of Respect), I vape Much Less. So my Nicotine Usage is Probably not Very Representative to a Medium, Mode or Average Vaper.

Lastly, the concept of "Needed Nicotine" might not be Applicable with regards to how much one Smoked after say 1 Year of Quitting. Because after some period of Time, what you Needed then Isn't what you Need today.

---

I think it is Cool that you are taking Numerical Approach to How Much Nicotine a Vaper Uses. And the ECF did a Large Survey awhile back. Maybe you get Use some of that Data to draw more Inferences about Nicotine Amounts?

hunter

Feb 1, 2010
Australia
Sorry for Not getting back to this Thread Sooner. Have gotten sidetracked a Lot lately.

What I was going to mention is that my Total Nicotine Intake, and subsequent Nicotine Absorption, has changed Dramatically since I Quit Smoking.

When I quit, as you know by your Join Date, Hardware was Vastly Different than it is Today. And people used (an average) Much Higher Nicotine mg/ml Levels. 2009 era Hardware just Didn't produce the Volume of Vapor and Related Absorption Rates that Today Hardware does. Or even what the Average user started using in 2012 ~ 2013.

Another thing, which I probably should have Mentioned, is that my Vaping Habits have Changed in the last 18 Months or so even though my Hardware hasn't.

And that is because I am Semi-Retired. And I find I Vape Much More because I have Much More Free Time. And am in a setting where there are No Restrictions on Vaping.

When I have a Day where I Don't have to do Much, I tend to Vape Heavily. More out of Habit and sometimes Boredom. Where on Days where I have a lot to do, or I am in Places where Vaping is Not Allowed (or I choose Not to out of Respect), I vape Much Less. So my Nicotine Usage is Probably not Very Representative to a Medium, Mode or Average Vaper.

Lastly, the concept of "Needed Nicotine" might not be Applicable with regards to how much one Smoked after say 1 Year of Quitting. Because after some period of Time, what you Needed then Isn't what you Need today.

---

I think it is Cool that you are taking Numerical Approach to How Much Nicotine a Vaper Uses. And the ECF did a Large Survey awhile back. Maybe you get Use some of that Data to draw more Inferences about Nicotine Amounts?
@zoiDman yes there was a bit of an epiphany moment when I was doing your calculations. The calculator really is only good for Smokers wanting to Vape. Habits change over time when vaping.

Reactions: zoiDman

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
@zoiDman would you have a link to the survey?

Here is a Link to the Thread when the Survey was Released...

ECF's survey results are in!

If you think you might be Able to refine you Usage Model, you might consider discussing the idea with Smokey Joe. And seeing if you might be able to get access to some of the Raw Data.

Not sure if this would be Possible or not. But Smokey Joe is very approachable. And a Very Nice Person to boot.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    Old Smoking Habit:
    Smokes Per Day= average 10-12, sometimes 2 or 3, sometimes a whole pack
    mg Tar Per Cig= 16.5 or 20.5 (Perique, Black pack)
    Natural American Spirit - Tobacco Products
    Natural American Spirit - Everything2.com

Volume (ml) per day= 1, sometimes slightly more
    Strength (mg)= 21
    Volume (ml) per day= 1, sometimes slightly more or less
    Strength (mg)= The base is 24, but after mixing it's about 21 1/2. Sometimes, but not often, only the base liquid itself (so just PG/VG/nic).
    Years Vaping= 1.6

Last edited:
    Reactions: hunter
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread