• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Nicotine and ADD/ADHD

Status
Not open for further replies.

tazzmann

Accessories Supplier
ECF Veteran
So, as most people know ADD/ADHD is affected by nicotine. What I would like to know is if you have noticed a difference in your ADD/ADHD since switching from smoking to vaping?

The reason I ask is that my initial thought with the e-cigarette was to quit smoking and nicotine completely and have even gone down to zero nic juice. HOWEVER, I have noticed that on the days I vape 0mg, my mind is even less focused than usual. If I switch to a higher nic dose, say 18-24mg, my mind is able to focus better. Has anyone else noticed this? Just curious.

Tazz

Last edited:

Zapp and Roger

ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
www.myspace.com
So, as most people know ADD/ADHD is affected by nicotine. What I would like to know is if you have noticed a difference in your ADD/ADHD since switching from smoking to vaping?

The reason I ask is that my initial thought with the e-cigarette was to quit smoking and nicotine completely and have even gone down to zero nic juice. HOWEVER, I have noticed that on the days I vape 0mg, my mind is even less focused than usual. If I switch to a higher nic dose, say 18-24mg, my mind is able to focus better. Has anyone else noticed this? Just curious.

Tazz

Nicotine, like caffeine, is one of the legal drugs that most ADD people use (I"d say most unwittingly) as a replacement for drug therapy. Nicotine triggers a release of dopamine in the brain, and it is a lack of dopamine common to people with ADD that causes the inability to concentrate or focus. This is why some people feel fuzzy until that morning caffeine kick or nicotine fix (myself included). If you want to go 0 nic, then talk with your doctor about the different drugs available for ADD. If your Doc does not believe in Adult ADD (Though there are FAR fewer of them than there used to be), then seek a 2nd opinion or get a reference to a recommended Psychiatrist in your area. Drug therapy is not for everyone, but is well worth exploring as an option. Hope this helps :)

What is ADD?

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
I can tell the difference between 12mg/ml and 6mg/ml juice, using the same amount in the day. The fuzzy comes after a couple days of vaping 6mg juice. Thoughts aren't quite as sharp, fast, panic a little more readily, lose my train of thought, and even my eyesight seems fuzzy! So kind of stay with the 12mg, it just works better for me. I did REALLY well on 24mg, but didnt' want to stay at such a high density forever. I've been a lifelong ADD participant, a guy needs all the help we can get! I have two daughters, both have ADD.
I have five grandkids, one is down syndrome, the rest all are ADD, one ADHD. That guy just turned 12, they have tried pharma, but took him off that zombie stuff..he was quieter but MORE fuzzy! His Doctor recommended new therapy involving oral nicotine tablets. They opted out for now, using behavioral therapy along with Tai quan dao classes....so far he's doing very well, but as you know, it is very tiresome and exhausting to be in control at all times.....it's a lot of work to be 'normal'!

Last edited:

JeffTM

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Chatsworth, CA
I can personally attest to the fact that nicotine alleviates many symptoms of ADHD. Nicotine is a stimulant, and most drugs used to treat ADHD are stimulants that work in similar ways as nicotine. I personally feel more focused when I use nicotine.

I have noticed a difference between smoking analogs and vaping. Analogs used to get me too hopped up on nicotine to really see any benefit. I would just get jittery and anxious because I would smoke an entire cigarette in one sitting. With vaping, I take a hit now and then when I feel it's needed, thus keeping my nicotine level more consistent. I don't get over stimulated like I did with analogs. Just one of the many many benefits of switching from analogs to vaping.

Security Ape

Oct 9, 2010
Canada
I've felt generally more calm and collected since I started vaping a week ago, but cigarette cravings still appear at random with ferocity. Because I began vaping as an indoor alternative to smoking analogs, I haven't been resisting the cravings as they've already cut my daily intake down by 80% without any effort on my part, so it's a good trade off.

Those strong cravings may be triggered by the behaviour associated with them, which is fleeing for the outdoors with a coffee in my hand and a million things on my mind. I do feel calmer and more at ease in social situations, but my tendency to work in a mad frenzy or procrastinate for hours when I'm by myself has not changed.

Jm1813

Sep 14, 2010
Laredo, Texas
Hmm, never really knew that nicotine works with dopamine. I am aware that it is a stimulant so I'm sure that's why "we" consume it. Before I was diagnosed with adhd(2.5 months ago) I just thought I was a rush junkie. Honestly, I do feel a difference. I don't exactly know what the "fuzz" is because I don't really talk to people with adhd, but I do wake up feeling horrible. I wake up really unmotivated, irritated, anxious, and a little sickly, and I usually feel like that until I get some nic in my system. I usually smoke or vape before work, school, sleeping, or pretty much right before anything so that I can chill out. So what I'm trying to say is that yes nicotine chills me out a bit, which is better than nothing. But I do have a bad habit of ingesting too much nicotine too fast. lol

This thread explains so much...Being a Psych major and a Math major in undergrad I knew I was ADD, but by the time I was in college I had already started smoking 3 packs a day and drinking diet pepsi to the tune of 2 cases a week. I have only quit smoking 1 time in the last 20 years. It lasted for 3 of the most miserable months of my life. I have been vaping for about a month and I am able to smoke about 1/2 of what I was smoking (3 packs), but I have been sooo fuzzy, and unable to hit the hyperfocus zone that I love about programming. I have been using 6mg juice, I just recently ordered some 12 and 18, I'm hoping that will help alleviate some of the fuzzies. :) I really like vaping and the cut back has been basically effortless. When I don't stress and just go with the flow, I can get down to about 18 cigs. But of course once I realize that I've cut back so far I panic and increase it up to a pack and 1/2. I have no desire for traditional med's, I avoid doctors like the plague...LOL even if hubby is a chiropractor. By the way, as an aside Chiropractic also helps to manage the fuzzies if done on a maintenance schedule like weekly...but like the cobblers children, the wife often goes without the adjustment...LOL But for me it only works in conjunction with the nicotine and the caffeine. But I may have trained my body that way :)

AmyB66

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
In A Padded Cell
I have been vaping for more than a year. I definitely still feel a bit more off than I did when I was smoking. It is probably why I cannot get the nic level cut down. Still am at 18-24, anything less leaves me feeling very cloudy and unfocused. Same with coffee. Can drink it all day and I drink a minimum of a pot a day. Was told that there is a direct correlation between heavy coffee drinkers and ADD.

I was really hoping the lack of concentration and all would improve, it has some since I recall my first few month of vaping being similar to when I go off of sugar, its just an overwhelming feeling of dimwittedness. I suppose the need for sugar has something to do with it too. If I can't get on track I go straight for the circus peanuts or twizzlers at lunch. :facepalm:

Ronda

May 21, 2011
Pa
What I've found helps most: Getting a full night's sleep, eating fairly healthy and regular meals, coffee, nicotine, a daily multi-vitamin, Aleve (have no idea why, but I totally know when I'm not taking it), and being really easy with myself and others. Trick is, when any of these get out of whack - and let's face it, it's life, stuff happens - then I'm also thrown out of whack. Changing from Smoking to Vaping has resulted in some depression, some thinking issues, and alot more frustration with everyday life. Once I realized what was at the root of it, I relaxed and slowed things down so as to better manage. And I easily gave myself "permission" to smoke analogs as needed. Only found myself doing one or two a day. A big problem with Vaping after smoking so long is I like it a whole lot better than analogs, lots of variety, lots of benefits from no stink, more opportunity to vape, etc. - the few analogs I now smoke are yucky. I'm looking into either home brewing or finding a vendor for ejuice with WTA to see if that's the missing piece for me. Anyone know of someone making this stuff? I'd much rather pay someone...

Screamin Eagle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
Maryland
Hmm, never really knew that nicotine works with dopamine. I am aware that it is a stimulant so I'm sure that's why "we" consume it. Before I was diagnosed with adhd(2.5 months ago) I just thought I was a rush junkie. Honestly, I do feel a difference. I don't exactly know what the "fuzz" is because I don't really talk to people with adhd, but I do wake up feeling horrible. I wake up really unmotivated, irritated, anxious, and a little sickly, and I usually feel like that until I get some nic in my system. I usually smoke or vape before work, school, sleeping, or pretty much right before anything so that I can chill out. So what I'm trying to say is that yes nicotine chills me out a bit, which is better than nothing. But I do have a bad habit of ingesting too much nicotine too fast. lol

The "Fuzz" people are refering to is the inability to concentrate on what you are doing at certin times. Your mind goes into a haze where it's thinking about severial things at one time and it can't lock on to any single thing. Like trying to find your way through fog.

I appreciate the fact that I can vape more than I smoked. In places and at times I wouldn't normally be able to smoke. Vaping is my filter, keeping me from making an impulsive statement. It helps me think of what I need to say and the manner I need to say it on before it is said. It also helps me keep from interrupting people. Not so much because I have something in my mouth, but because of the nicotine. I will never stop vaping, never cut down on my nic. Nicotine is my Jiminey Cricket.

The "Fuzz" people are refering to is the inability to concentrate on what you are doing at certin times. Your mind goes into a haze where it's thinking about severial things at one time and it can't lock on to any single thing. Like trying to find your way through fog.

Yes, this.

Reactions: SinQuaNon

Wow1420

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2013
Somewhere out there
Ronda... Aroma makes WTA... I need to try it as well to see if it makes a difference.

I get my WTA from WholeCig. It does make a difference for me. I only use a few drops a day in my regular liquid, so little that I was wondering if it is placebo. But I noticed a difference when I skipped using WTA for two days.

Last edited:

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
Most definately, since I started vaping, I have noticed the lack of ability to maintain a train of thought for more than several minutes on a single topic ( but then again I can play Skyrim for hours and not loose interest). I also seemed to be more forgetful than usual. I have bumped the nic up to 30mg and have noticed my forgetfullness is not as bad as it was. I still "suffer" from thought topics changing spontainiously ( and my spelling has become terrible) but it has lessened in its severity, I can focus on stuff ( normally boring stuff) for about 2 X longer before I go "Tangent"....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread