Nicotine: Box Elder Chemical Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

OaklandCA

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2010
OaklandCA
mixed up my first batch--keeping it simple 48mg pg cut to 24 w pg add peppermint. its a little thin but vapes ok in a 510 atty--pretty strong TH low vapor. tried it in a ego cartomizer and seems fine--a bit more peppery than peppermint. nothing nasty or un-pleasant. (i tried the flavor previously with some expensive and perfectly clear FSUSA so i have a baseline to compare.) I don't have any vg to thicken it up--will try it in some 80-20 unflavored mix i bought but basically other than a slightly yellow tint (which plenty of the menthol/mint mixes i've had had as well) nothing off about it. i bought in on sale and the sale is over and the price is now higher than nicvapes so if someone has prior experience with another nic source no bg savings. (i have heard that gourmet vapors sells box elder so i feel i'm dealing with a fairly well known supplier here but haven't seen any posts or reviews specifically about them except this thread.)

Last edited:
I ordered a 250 Ml bottle of 48Mg/Ml & was impressed by their fast shipping . Unfortunately it was diluted with Vg & I ordered Pg . Shot them an email & Box elder got back to me in less than 12 hours with an email saying they are shipping the correct product. They made no mention of shipping back the original, So I guess I get to keep it . I will definitely do business with them again .

deejay187

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2011
Coventry, UK
I have recently taken delivery of 500ml of 48mg in VG. There is quite a strong odour to this stuff. Not sure how I describe it, but its a lot stronger than any nic i've purchased before.

Has anyone else encountered this? I emailed Box Elder a few days ago about it, and they havent responded. :(

I ordered from them before and although I did notice the liquid had a reasonably strong odour which I wasn't so pleased about, but not enough to stop me ordering again, but it was nowhere near as strong a smell as the new shipment.

I am concerned about using this stuff, in case its stronger than its supposed to be, or there is something wrong with it...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

fray

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
arkansas
www.ejoose.com
I have recently taken delivery of 500ml of 48mg in VG. There is quite a strong odour to this stuff. Not sure how I describe it, but its a lot stronger than any nic i've purchased before.

Has anyone else encountered this? I emailed Box Elder a few days ago about it, and they havent responded. :(

I ordered from them before and although I did notice the liquid had a reasonably strong odour which I wasn't so pleased about, but not enough to stop me ordering again, but it was nowhere near as strong a smell as the new shipment.

I am concerned about using this stuff, in case its stronger than its supposed to be, or there is something wrong with it...

I noticed this too on my 250 ml bottle of 48mg in PG. The smell went away after about a week. I had a strong nic smell/ taste in my juices, but it's almost gone now after steeping for a week. I smelled the nic today and I can hardly smell it now.

LindyLou

Aug 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO

I also ordered the 48 mg and it has a very strong odor to it and is yellow in color, very different from other nicotine I've used.
It smells like dirty feet and the taste seems "off".
I've had the bottles for a few months now and it seems stronger now then when I bought it.

OaklandCA

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2010
OaklandCA
been on vacation and too busy to get down to mixing. I'll keep an eye on this thread and also once i finally do some seious mixing report further on the quality. I'm a newbie on the DIY side so i can't compare it to much and would like to hear more--next week i'll try posting some more general questions about verifying juice quality to a more general forum but would love it if other box elder customers would chime in here.
Does BE have a supplier thread? are they registered with ECF?

Shantia

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2011
Fredericksburg, VA
My nic juice from Box elder came with just a peppery hint of smell and slight yellow tint. I bought the 100mg 250ml bottle and after around a month i have about 3/4th's of the bottle left but its starting to take on a stronger scent.. I dont know exactly what WD40 smells like but the nic definitely does not smell like it did last month.

Zal42

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2011
Oregon
My nic juice from Box elder came with just a peppery hint of smell and slight yellow tint. I bought the 100mg 250ml bottle and after around a month i have about 3/4th's of the bottle left but its starting to take on a stronger scent.. I dont know exactly what WD40 smells like but the nic definitely does not smell like it did last month.

Sounds like it is oxidizing. This is harmless, but as the oxidation process goes on, the potency of the nicotine diminishes. Probably not enough to matter, unless it's been oxidizing for a long time. If mine only has a slight yellowish tint, I wouldn't worry about it, but I would be sure to use it up first.

OaklandCA

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2010
OaklandCA
I did mix up a couple mils of this box elder batch and it's peppery in taste but not off (certainly better than quite a few juices i've gotten pre-mixed from vendors. but i'm a bit nervous. once i cut this to 24 mg i will have one liter! of juice. about 1 year supply at my current usage. any tips on refrigeration/storage best practices

also is there a good thread in DIY on nicotine suppliers / tips on checking nic quality etc. I seem to find an awful lot of discussion about the flavors. I'm having a few second thoughts about my slightly impulsive order (ordered the nic after a disappointing shopping trip with a bunch of 30ml bottles of not so great flavor and getting tired of paying 3-5 bucks a pop PLUS shipping and delays just to get a bunch of random interpretations of what i think should be simple--menthol chocolate coffee cocoa--flavors. (E.g. i have tried 5-7 vendors and picked up these same flavors in very different interpretations--most of which i didn't like due to various sweetener/creamy additives.) I'm still heading into DIY and will go over to that wing of the forum and see what other newbie mistakes i can avoid.

KonaNeil

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2009
Big Island, Hawaii
...any tips on refrigeration/storage best practices...

Its generally accepted that keeping the bottles as free from air as possible as well as chilling but not freezing is best.

I've been slowly going through my stash of TW 54mg PG purchased when they had a sale about a year and a half ago. I've been keeping it under refrigeration, sealing the bottles in vacuum bags to be double sure of maintaining an air tight condition. Up to present tense, I can't detect any change of quality. At least at that time they shipped the 30ml glass bottles with plugs to displace nearly all the air. With this in mind, I would suggest filling small bottles to the very top to accomplish the same goal.

Oakland: I'm lately spending significant time in the East Bay area. In a pinch, if I run low of juice or need a few atomizers, is there a decent e-cig store in Berkeley or Oakland? The only places I've seen e-cigs have been the other type of smoke shops near the university selling low end e-cig kits at silly/expensive prices.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
The WD40 taste is actually nicotine free base. Some vendors adjust the pH to be a bit lower to create more nic salts, which cuts down the nic taste/smell (Vermont Vapor unflavored has ascorbic acid added), but many do not do this. My unflavored MFS 100 mg VG is probably free base nic, as it has a bit of that smell/taste, but it goes away when I mix up a DIY with flavoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread