Status
Not open for further replies.

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
I was poking around these sites trying to decide what to order to make my next batch of 15mg base. I do use flavors, but lightly, so I like a clean nic. I've been using NN and VT.

XV is by far the highest priced. I can afford it, but is it really worth it?

VZ seems more reasonably priced, but their pricing makes no sense. In 500ml and bigger bottles, they charge more for 48mg than 100mg? Huh?

I guess I'm gonna find out. I just ordered 120ml bottles from both, and one from VT as well. I figure I'll do the sniff test on all three and use whichever one has the least odor. The others, I'll put in glass bottles in the freezer for a rainy day, next to the NN Armor that's already in there.

If you are so inclined, you might provide evaluations somewhat along the lines of this chart...
http://i.imgur.com/K79xk.png

If you provide such information textually, I'd be glad to chart them.

I'm sure everyone would value such information.

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
If you are so inclined, you might provide evaluations somewhat along the lines of this chart...
http://i.imgur.com/K79xk.png

If you provide such information textually, I'd be glad to chart them.

I'm sure everyone would value such information.

I'd love to see that chart updated.

Reactions: Dixie1954

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Here's the catch: I normally make an ~800ml batch of base that lasts me 4-6 months. I do this in a somewhat crude manner; I dump an entire 120ml bottle of 100mg base into a 1 liter mixing bottle, then add appropriate amounts of VG and PG to get the ratio I want, which is 67% VG, 15mg mic. Shake, let sit, repeat a few times, then decant into 120ml glass bottles. I like this method because it minimizes handling of the 100mg base.

As for flavors, I do them 30ml at a time. I count drops of flavoring into an empty 30ml bottle, then fill that with my base. Sure, my 15mg base might end up diluted to 14 or so when I add flavoring. No biggie. I'm sure some of you will think this is nuts, but it works for me. I also still vape a fair amount of pre-made juice, but I typically cut it 50% with my home-brew base.

So in order to do a real comparison (more than just a sniff test) I'd have to get the gear needed to make smaller batches of base, like 30 ml at a time. Syringes and such, I guess -- which I've never bothered to do. I guess now I have an excuse to do so. :D

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
I'd love to see that chart updated.

In one sense, that was easy.

The information came from a single tester using the same criteria for all of his testing. That tester was the OP of this thread.

The difficult part was sorting out the results from various explanations in the text, but it was all there more or less, but spread out among many posts. I gathered the information into one place. I'm not sure if that supported all on the author's intents, but I found it useful for my understanding and received no complaint. The addition of prices, now mostly irrelevant, was my doing.

Updating and replicating the data reflected in the chart would take substantial effort on someone's part. The chart would then not be too difficult.

JimScotty0

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2014
Garden Grove, CA, USA
www.facebook.com
I am about to start down the DIY road and have bought up all the essentials that I should need. For Nicotine I bought 100mg, 250ml of Wizzard Labs brand (Carrier Base Liquid: 100% USP Propylene G) and was wondering what were the opinions of this group about their Nicotine and in particular if there were any flavors I should expect or not. I was hoping for a neutral flavor and not a tobacco flavor.

Andromendous

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2014
Oklahoma, USA
So where would you guys say would be the best place to get the cleanest, non harsh nic? And please state the full name. Im not yet familiar with these abbreviations. So far ive been vaping wizard labs 12mg/ml nic in a 30ml mix diluted to 6mg and it is a bit pungent, i dunno what youd call the taste, its odd though.

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
So where would you guys say would be the best place to get the cleanest, non harsh nic? And please state the full name. Im not yet familiar with these abbreviations. So far ive been vaping wizard labs 12mg/ml nic in a 30ml mix diluted to 6mg and it is a bit pungent, i dunno what youd call the taste, its odd though.
Nude Nicotine is the best I've tried so far. They also sell some that is sealed with argon gas to remove all oxygen, which is perfect for long-term storage, but it's kind of expensive.

I didn't really like WLs nic either, but they're great for all my other supplies. I'm still searching for a place to get good nic AND my flavors all from the same place. Thought I'd found it with Bull City Vapors, but then they quit selling nic. I think they're in the process of moving to a new location so they can carry nic again.

Meanwhile I'm looking at Xtreme Vaping and Vaping Zone for nic, based on recommendations by some veterans in this thread but they don't sell ANY flavors I'm interested in. :(

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Nude Nicotine is the best I've tried so far. They also sell some that is sealed with argon gas to remove all oxygen, which is perfect for long-term storage, but it's kind of expensive.
I regularly buy the NudeArmor product for long-term storage (100mg in PG) You can't beat the convenience of having it already in glass bottles, topped with argon, ready to put in your freezer when you get it.

Since I was doing that anyway, I also got a few batches of pre-mix from them; 30/70-15. I'm going to be brutally honest and say I wasn't that impressed with it. When I first got it, the only thing I had to compare it to was some unflavored a local (PA) shop had made for me. I have no idea where the local shop gets their nic, but compared to it, the Nude premix had a noticeable tobacco taste. The only problem with the local shop's product was the price. At first they were charging me the same price as any of their regular juices for unflavored, and when I questioned that, they gave me a close to a 50% discount compared to their regular prices, but that was still 4x the price that NN charges.

Late last year, I decided to try VT based on some of the rave reviews here. Since they don't custom-make pre-mix, I bought 120ml of 100mg and appropriate amounts of PG and VG to make a batch of pre-mix myself. I liked the results better than the NN pre-mix I was previously buying, but it still wasn't on par with the stuff I'd gotten locally. Hence my continued search.

Back to the NN: I will continue to buy NudeArmor for long-term storage because I figure if things get to the point where I'm digging it back out of my freezer, I won't care that it may not "the best" nic available. Based on feedback from others, it's by no means the worst either. :D

Reactions: KattMamma

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Any of you folks up for a blind taste test? Here's my thought: I've already got 120ml bottles of 100 mg (in PG) coming from three vendors (VZ, VT, and XV). I could order up a couple more from other vendors and make up some sample packs, with say 5-10ml of each, labelled with just numbers or letters, so you don't know which is which. The samples would be 100 mg/ml in PG (straight from the bottle), so you could mix to your preferred ratio and strength.

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
Any of you folks up for a blind taste test?
If my life wasn't so crazy, I would love to do this... but I'll pass just because I'm afraid I wouldn't follow up.

I'm curious about your experience with NN. My first nic order was from them and I detected no odor or taste. It was a small 36mg bottle, long used up so I can't go back and taste it again.

My 2nd nic order was from WL and I wasn't impressed. I ordered PG and VG based, and the VG was so peppery I cannot use it in my creams and custards. I put half of it in the fridge for the vapocolypse, and am only using up the other half in fruity blends that help cover the pepper flavor.

My 3rd order was from NN again, but I haven't opened this bottle yet.

I'm wondering -- were my taste buds not recovered enough from smoking the first time I tried it? (I had pretty good taste buds before I quit smoking, and they immediately got even better when I quit, but maybe not as good as I thought??)

Or did you get an old batch somehow?

Either way, my search continues. The ultimate goal - nic and flavors (at least some of my most used ones!) from one vendor. Price is important, but I will definitely pay a little more for good nic.

I also liked that NN lets me order 50/50 PG/VG. I like 70VG juices, so PG nic is a problem sometimes when there's a lot of flavors in the recipe. And VG nic is just so darned thick and hard to work with. The 50/50 solved this problem for me. I was going to mix the WL PG and VG together to make my own 50/50 until I tasted them and didn't like the VG at all. :(

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Does anyone here have experience with the US sourced nic from RTS Vapes?
I have nic from both RTS Vapes and MyFreedomSmokes. They both seem fine to me but since they are the only 2 I have tried I can't say if they are better or worse that nic from other places.

Reactions: MotherNatural

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
Any of you folks up for a blind taste test? Here's my thought: I've already got 120ml bottles of 100 mg (in PG) coming from three vendors (VZ, VT, and XV). I could order up a couple more from other vendors and make up some sample packs, with say 5-10ml of each, labelled with just numbers or letters, so you don't know which is which. The samples would be 100 mg/ml in PG (straight from the bottle), so you could mix to your preferred ratio and strength.

This is a great idea Rossum! I hope it pans out. Unfortunately I don't have the time or inclination right now but I hope someone else does!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread