Nicotine Comparisons

Status
Not open for further replies.

yo han

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2008
the Dutch mountains
And here's a previous comparison between 0mg, an older batch of VT nic, and juul juuce:

M1g1utF.jpg
Is that 0mg pure PG/VG? That should be around 7 and not 4.5
I don't think you can measure a non aqueous solution with PH paper hence the wrong reading.

Reactions: Dixie1954

Caterpiller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2015
Malaysia
I don't think you can measure a non aqueous solution with PH paper hence the wrong reading.

Read the above post and went to the aquarium shop at lunch.

Wonder if this might give a more accurate reading?

IMG_20150723_162806_edit.jpg

It's designed to give a PH reading of tank water, but I'd guess it would work for any liquid.

I plan to give it a try as soon as my PG/VG and Nic arrive.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Yes it is, straight PG/VG with no added water, which seems to have no effect on the color of the paper other than darkening it. However, the moment you add nic, it shows up as substantially alkali. Every juice I've tested, even substantially citrusy ones, as well as unflavored, indicate in the 8-8.5 range on that paper, with one exception: The Juul stuff. Juul uses benzoic acid to turn some of the nic in their juuce into a nicotine salt.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
You lower the ph of the nic, which makes odor/taste much less pronounced, and the absorbtion is fastened a little. Btw, Nic in tobacco is in salt-form, I believe.
If you remember, Big Tobacco was accused on converting nic to "free-based nicotine" (i.e. salts of nic) by addition of ammonia to cigarettes, to increase addiction to nicotine.
I tried to google about nic salts in tobacco itself, but it looks like there is no reliable data (at least on first two pages of search).

Last edited:

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
Well, all four of our samples have a pH of around 8.5,

rd9p2gs.jpg

That's in the same range as every juice I've ever looked at, except the Juul stuff that IS "pH adjusted" to produce nic salts. That's the bottom one among these:

cUzs5k2.jpg

And here's a previous comparison between 0mg, an older batch of VT nic, and Juul juuce:

M1g1utF.jpg

View attachment 474367

It's designed to give a PH reading of tank water, but I'd guess it would work for any liquid.

I plan to give it a try as soon as my PG/VG and Nic arrive.

I just want to remind that pH is valid only for water solutions. All measurements of not-water based liquids have no quantitative meaning. And nicotine is a base, and it may be reflected in color of litmus paper (especially with a tiny bit of water in solution), but I would not pay much attention to quantification of results.

yo han

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2008
the Dutch mountains
I wouldn't use that. I believe you have to use something like 5ml liquid to test and after the test it's ruined so you're wasting a lot of nic that way. Also, the liquid you're going to test has to be colorless to be able to correctly judge the color result. It's probably a mix of thymol blue, methyl red, bromothymol blue and phenolphthalein.

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
If you remember, Big Tobacco was accused on converting nic to "free-based nicotine" (i.e. salts of nic) by addition of ammonia to cigarettes, to increase addiction to nicotine.
I tried to google about nic salts in tobacco itself, but it looks like there is not reliable data (at list on first two pages of search).
I'm sorry! :) Thanks for the correction, mate. I remember reading about it yesterday from some source, but cannot remember from who, but they must be wrong then... I myself have no knowledge whatsoever about chemistry I must admit.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I just want to remind that pH is valid only for water solutions. All measurements of not-water based liquids have no quantitative meaning. And nicotine is a base, and it may be reflected in color of litmus paper (especially with a tiny bit of water in solution), but I would not pay much attention to quantification of results.
Yeah, you're probably right, we should not view those values as meaningful except in relative terms; i.e. all the nics we're testing here are in the same ballpark in terms of pH as all the juices I've ever tested except for Juul's. I think indicates they're not pH-adjusted, which was the question I posted a page back that I was looking into.

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
... I Just _again_ looked at the coa's of the few brands that reports such, and just wanted to add that the coa's of the nics from nude-nicotine, alchem and chemnovatic, are all both extremelly pure and practically the same quality on paper, with regards to everything tested e.g. impurities, water and total purity(anhydrous assay) etc... Sorry if I allready posted this, can't really remember exactly :)

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
So is the testing done? :vapor: I wanna see if I am right or not. :pop:

So far, I have only your results and my own.

I do hope many more will come in this weekend. Testers, please MESSAGE ME with the results of your tests. Please do not post them to the thread.

Please refer to post 2674 in this thread for testing criteria and reply format.

Last edited:

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
Imho, then if having good tastebuds, then nics with different tastes can be differentiated at 6mg(but much better at 12 though), and for not so god tasters, 12mg would probably be needed. At 3mg, it's practically impossible to differentiate nics imho...

Edit: Sorry, maybe it's different for drippers, I dunno about that, as i'm unfortunetly too lazy to drip all the time, and hence, only have experience in rta's only...

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
I could use some more time Testing at high nic didn't work well for me, so I mixed up fresh bottles of the four samples at my usual 6mg. Differences at this level are more subtle and I want to spend more time with each of the samples.
Somebody should have PM'd me.

I would have tested full strength, side by side with identical setups.

Along with an old sample of nic c and wiz labs.

Tapatyped

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I think we could still get you in on this, Beck. I'm all out of sample bottles right now, but should have more by the middle of next week and will be happy to make up an additional batch.

Your results might not be as "blind" though, since I don't want to hold back the results from the initial participants What I'll do is number your samples instead of lettering them and you won't know what (if any) correlation exists between the numbers on yours and the letters on everyone else's.

BTW, what is "nic c"?

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
I think we could still get you in on this, Beck. I'm all out of sample bottles right now, but should have more by the middle of next week and will be happy to make up an additional batch.

Your results might not be as "blind" though, since I don't want to hold back the results from the initial participants What I'll do is number your samples instead of lettering them and you won't know what (if any) correlation exists between the numbers on yours and the letters on everyone else's.

BTW, what is "nic c"?
Good plan.

I'll likely need more time than previous testers with my schedule.

Since I can, I presume we can add criteria such as at what dilution each nic tones down to where the pepper more resembles an earthy/leafy essence conducive to authenticating a favored tobacco flavor blend.

Give me a list of questions and I'll see what I can do.

PM'd about nic c.

Tapatyped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread