Nicotine Comparisons

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
tobacco yields tend to average a bit more than a ton per acre. Let's use 1000 kg to make the math easy. tobacco is normally 3-5% nic by weight. Nic's density is close enough to 1 that we can that kg is a liter. So in principle, an acre should yield 30-50 liters of nic. That's pure nic, not 100 mg/ml (10%). Of course, no extraction process is 100% efficient, but still, an acre of tobacco should produce enough to keep 500 or more vapers happy.
So let's use your numbers and estimate 40 liters of pure per acre. A liter of 10% will last me 4 years at 70 mg per day so the acre lasts me 160 years. I may be higher than average so let's say an acre will support 200 vapers for one year. If there are forty million Vapors in the world it would take about 200,000 acres. If a billion smokers switched to vaping it would take about 5,000,000 acres if all our numbers are aproximately right, which they might not. In 2000 there were 4.2 million hectares growing tobaccco in the world. That's 10.3 million acres, That makes me think my estimate of vapers per acre is way too low because I've read the tobacco leaves in a cigarette have 20 mg of nic but only about 1 mg makes it into the smoke. Vaping is way more efficient than that because there is no combustion.

Reactions: DaveP

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I may be higher than average so let's say an acre will support 200 vapers for one year.
[...]
That makes me think my estimate of vapers per acre is way too low
I agree, 200 vapers per acre seems mighty low. 40 liters of pure is 400 liters of 10%. That's 400 vapers if they each go through an entire liter of 10% a year. But a liter of 10% per year is several standard deviations above average use. At your level of a liter lasting 4 years, an acre would support 1600 vapers. At mine (I budget a liter every 2-1/2) years it supports 1000 vapers.

I think the yield may be less than 40 liters of pure, which is why I figured 500 vapers / acre.

However, yields could probably be increased if tobacco strains are developed exclusively for for nicotine content rather than for smokability characteristics.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I agree, 200 vapers per acre seems mighty low. 40 liters of pure is 400 liters of 10%. That's 400 vapers if they each go through an entire liter of 10% a year. But a liter of 10% per year is several standard deviations above average use. At your level of a liter lasting 4 years, an acre would support 1600 vapers. At mine (I budget a liter every 2-1/2) years it supports 1000 vapers.

I think the yield may be less than 40 liters of pure, which is why I figured 500 vapers / acre.

However, yields could probably be increased if tobacco strains are developed exclusively for for nicotine content rather than for smokability characteristics.
I goofed up the math sitting under a tree at the park. 1600 vapers is more like it. So may be 40 million vapers could be supported on 25,000 acres.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
So about a square mile per million vapers. :)
And may be we'll get a chance to refine those numbers. In the mean time a billion smokers who switched to vaping would need a 1,000 square miles for tobacco but even that is trivial in the agricultural scheme of things. The county where my family land is located is a bit larger than the average county and is 800 square miles and most of that is ag land. One big county in the right area could be the liquid nic capital of the world.

My county was once the dry edible bean capital of the world so every summer we crowned a Bean Queen. May be someday we'll read about the county that crowns the Nicotine Queen.

Last edited:

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
...After having a break from nicselect and going back to it fresh, I must agree with the good people stating that it's not the cleanest nic possible. I still don't like chemnovatic either and my current favorite is nicobrand uk nic which has a flavor, but a more natural and nice flavor in unflavored mixes. I notice nicselect's flavor especially when over-dripping for some reason, which i'm guessing is because the temperature is lower(liquid cools the coils), and since nic has lower boiling-point than VG, then more nic and less VG is evaporated than usual. Possibly completely wrong thesis here lol, but still holds subjectively for me with regards to taste percieved nonetheless. I think it's extraction material, because it has a non-tobacco chemical taste like deoderant or something(only slight and not percieved in flavored mixes at all). Also, the nic has very slightly oxidized some more than from fresh, which also brings foreward the impressions more. Unfortunetly i'm back to now prefering a nic that's twice as expensive as the others and filled with 20% water additionally. Oh well...

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
...After having a break from nicselect and going back to it fresh, I must agree with the good people stating that it's not the cleanest nic possible. I still don't like chemnovatic either and my current favorite is nicobrand uk nic which has a flavor, but a more natural and nice flavor in unflavored mixes. I notice nicselect's flavor especially when over-dripping for some reason, which i'm guessing is because the temperature is lower(liquid cools the coils), and since nic has lower boiling-point than VG, then more nic and less VG is evaporated than usual. Possibly completely wrong thesis here lol, but still holds subjectively for me with regards to taste percieved nonetheless. I think it's extraction material, because it has a non-tobacco chemical taste like deoderant or something(only slight and not percieved in flavored mixes at all). Also, the nic has very slightly oxidized some more than from fresh, which also brings foreward the impressions more. Unfortunetly i'm back to now prefering a nic that's twice as expensive as the others and filled with 20% water additionally. Oh well...
No matter how expensive your preferred nic may be, I don't think it could ever even come close to the cost of cigarettes, so indulge your taste. :)

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
No matter how expensive your preferred nic may be, I don't think it could ever even come close to the cost of cigarettes, so indulge your taste. :)
This! A liter of nic base lasts me around 2-1/2 years, making it the equivalent of roughly $10,000 worth of cigarettes.

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
You're of course correct, and I always buy small portions as I have an issue with making my mind up ;) , or hoping to find better products later on, before stocking up, but i'm referring to the stock-up price is high for me when on a budget. OK, it's actually not that bad when ordering liters I see now, with a price of about 130USD for a liter 72mg delivered. The pound is pretty low now which also makes it more cheap than a year ago and they also lowered price and shipping. It's in UK btw, and I just calculated it to USD. It's as said, with 20% water and also not the clearest nic in the world when gotten, further making the high price an issue...

Last edited:
Reactions: IDJoel

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
Bueller?

Did i ask a daft question or no one knows yet?

I don't think anyone really knows for sure. Many suspect they are similar. But I wouldn't be willing to test a batch with the high nicotine content the juul has. 48mg or something around there.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Bueller?

Did i ask a daft question or no one knows yet?
It's nicotine salts like Juul, but since they claim "proprietary juice chemistry," I (for one) can't say that is is/isn't similar to NN. If you search this thread you will see a few posts from those that have tried it. I'm not sure if there are additional conversations elsewhere on ECF.
Sorry, I know that's not much help, which is why I didn't reply previously.

Reactions: dansus

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
Ok, thanks. I will order some and try. Was hesitant because im ordering it from the UK.

Also have some pre-made juice that uses salts on order too, 25mg and 45mg. See how they compare.
Let us know. There's not many reviews yet.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL

After a while with pink ecx nic select, it definately has A Lot of TH.. Verging on a cough many times with some roughness. Especially strong for me in the morning. Running my normal 8mg @ 40w. Kinda wish I didn't have a liter of it, will try my next mix at 6mg.

Th wise I could lower my nic and still have the th I desire.

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
After a while with pink ecx nic select, it definately has A Lot of TH.. Verging on a cough many times with some roughness. Especially strong for me in the morning. Running my normal 8mg @ 40w. Kinda wish I didn't have a liter of it, will try my next mix at 6mg.

Th wise I could lower my nic and still have the th I desire.

I think you might be surprised at how much of what our body is looking for is the "feel" of the vape. You just might find yourself not missing that extra nic. At 40w I am assuming you are lung hitting. A lot of lung hitters titrate down to 3mg and don't miss the Nic. The scratchy Nic. just might help keep that "feel" for you.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I think you might be surprised at how much of what our body is looking for is the "feel" of the vape. You just might find yourself not missing that extra nic. At 40w I am assuming you are lung hitting. A lot of lung hitters titrate down to 3mg and don't miss the Nic. The scratchy Nic. just might help keep that "feel" for you.

I've told my story a couple of times before. A few years ago I titrated myself down over a couple of months from 24mg nic to 3mg in small steps. Once I got to 3mg I tried going to zero. Zero was way too blah. Zero wasn't very satisfying at all. It was just a flavored fog.

I jumped back to 3mg and have been there for almost 3 years. It's funny how a little nic is enough. As long as I could sense the small nic bite on my tongue, my brain was satisfied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread