Not open for further replies.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
For those who have never gone unflavored, the vape definitely has flavor. And a very pleasant one at that. The VG adds a natural sweetness and a flavor that slightly resembles coconut (but not really.lol).
I also vape a lot of unflavored. To me, unflavored is a flavor. But coconut? Nah...

What you didn't mention is your PG/VG ratio or nic level at which you have this perception.

I also mix near liter sized batches using a whole 120ml bottle of base at once. I was at 15mg for the better part of 3 years, but I'm trying to cut back, so I made one batch at 14, and I'm now at 13.

However, I keep my mixed-down unflavored in the freezer (all except one bottle that lasts me roughly 4 weeks), since I prefer my nic fresh.

I do agree that nic kept in the freezer will probably last indefinitely.

Reactions: puffon

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    The end of my last liter morphed into my favorite unflavored mix to date. It was at least 6 months old and took on a slight yellow tint. The flavor transformed into something similar to a slight woody/nutty tobacco note that sat just in the background.

I got that note in a jug of newly purchased Heartland awhile back. It was clear and fresh tho. With a good cuppa coffee, they really complimented each other. Took me back to the old days. Well, maybe the old days when I was 16yrs, not so much when I was 50yrs and would finish up by hacking my lungs out and worrying about dying.

Just like some senses are tho, my tastebuds got used to it and I no longer taste the nuttiness as much.

Dubminer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 10, 2016
    ...question for those that have moved from flavored to unflavored nic
    Initially, I ...
    1) raised my nic level
    2) kept my nic level about the same
    3) lowered my nic level
    I raised my nic level quite a lot from 8mg to eventually 20 mg.Now i still use 20 for MTL at night and 10 during the day with a restricted lung hit. No idea why but all i vape now is unflavored,i love it. Just a great natural taste,could not go back to flavored now.

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 10, 2013
    W. Ma. U.S.A.
    Well, I'm just going to weigh in with a dissenting opinion. I have tried unflavored a couple of times and found it completely disappointing. It has very little taste and what little taste I do get out of it is a mild dirty tobacco taste. With all the fantastic flavors available to me for pennies DIY there is no way Im going to vape unflavored.

But by all means, to each his own and it is probably that much safer without flavors.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    Initially, I ...
    1) raised my nic level
    3) lowered my nic level
    When I started using unflavored (I never "switched" to unflavored exclusively), I initially (and still) kept (keep) my nicotine level the same. (I am a DtL, simple rebuildable dual coil, high sub-ohm{.7-.8}, 30-35 watt, airy rebuildable tank, user.) I vape unflavored about 70-80% of the time; choosing flavored only when I am going to sit down and enjoy it. The majority of the time I am vaping, I am focused on other tasks, and couldn't tell you what I was vaping anyway. Now, when I do vape flavored, I appreciate the taste that much more. And, I have found that I have actually wanted/needed to reduce the overall flavor percentage by a couple of percent (I DIY), to continue to enjoy previous recipes.

Dubminer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 10, 2016
    That is what happened with me. Started at around 8 % flavoring and for some reason dropped to around 2%. Everything just tasted to powerful. I stopped at 2% for a few months then tried unflavored. I did not really like or dislike unflavored at first. I stuck with it and after about three days began to really appreciate it. Now i love it, if i try flavors now i hate them.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Initially, I ...
    1) raised my nic level
    3) lowered my nic level
    Kept it the same at 15mg/ml.

I'm not exclusively an unflavored person, but unflavored is my ADV, and what flavors I do use are very light.

Bottom-feeding mods make it easy to find out how much flavor you really need. Put unflavored in the bottle. Drip flavored from the top. Vape, sqounk, vape, squonk, repeat until you feel more flavor is needed, then drip again.

aikanae1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 2, 2013
    az
    I like strong gunky eliquids and started using unflavored as a way to make coils last (lazy). When it looks like mud in the tank, I refill with unflavored and the lighter taste was refreshing. Clean tank to start over again. Yeah baby.

I discovered uping my nic first thing in the am was a way to deal with cravings and it was easiest to use unflavored. I think it grew on me.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

mhertz

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 7, 2014
    Denmark
    Unflavored wasn't that great for me initially, and I just made an effort to see if it would grow on me after a while and it for sure did. I've on occasion tried flavored liquids later on, and always quickly reverted back to unflavored because I'd missed it, and the flavored liquids is just way to much and strange i.e. vaping deserts etc lol.

Unflavored, I don't like the taste of PG, which to me taste like ethanol, so I only use VG, nic and water for thinning. It simply tastes like a neutral slightly sweet pleasant non-intrusive vape, with a little depth and mouthfeel from the nic(just 3mg). If the nic isn't ultra-clean, then it can taste like dirty ashtray. Some clean nics, also add notes like nuttyness and non-ashtray tobacco. If using more than my used 3mg, then the notes are more enhanced of course, and clean nics also gives more than just added mouthfeel and reduced VG-sweetness.

Unflavored is indeed a flavored liquid by itself, and it can be tailored by PG/VG ratio and nic source. Not only that, but certain few VGs can also affect the flavor(unflavored), which I don't know the reason for(water amount, cross-contamination, trace-amounts of source-material or whatever).

Btw, when vaping my unflavored with tighter airflow e.g. MTL, then it's way to sweet imho, and only to me tastes good with more open-airflow and DL.

Unflavored is the only flavor that i've been able to vape for years without getting bored off :) Before turning to unflavored, I mostly used simple fruit flavors as they where most long lasting to me without getting sickening, though nothing beats unflavored in this regard imho. I also love the coil-longevity, simple and cheaper DIY and potential health-benefits :)

Last edited:

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I only use a nautilus with factory coils with unflavored, but I imagine that it is nice not having to Build for Flavor or have to buy the proper equipment for it.

It blows my mind when someone says that they'll have to go back to cigs if their flavored order isn't delivered promptly or the like.

newyork13

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 9, 2013
    western Massachusetts
    Kept it the same at 15mg/ml.

I'm not exclusively an unflavored person, but unflavored is my ADV, and what flavors I do use are very light.

Bottom-feeding mods make it easy to find out how much flavor you really need. Put unflavored in the bottle. Drip flavored from the top. Vape, sqounk, vape, squonk, repeat until you feel more flavor is needed, then drip again.
    I also vape unflavored, probably half the time.
    Whose nic are you using these days?

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    I also vape unflavored, probably half the time.
    Whose nic are you using these days?
    Mostly NN Armor V1. I spent the 2 years between the time the Deeming was proposed and finalized accumulating a lifetime supply of that. I'm using the oldest first. However, I also found some old WL that I forgot I'd bought, and it was surprisingly good despite having spent the better part of 3 years frozen in the original PET bottles rather than glass. 250ml of that became the start of some ongoing storage experiments I'm documenting in this thread.

sketchness

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 3, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    Is that Heartland Premium Chemnovatic still doing it for you? Any other notes about it which were not mentioned in your earlier post?

Honestly, I haven't been back to it yet. Working through 1.5 liters of custard I mixed up the beginning of May.

Reactions: nostradadus
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread