Nicotine concentration and taste

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
Yeah, as stated allready, nic concentration is irrelevant and it's the actual nic source that's relevant, no matter concentration. You use the same mg nic either way in your mix...

The only difference, would be if the vendor dillutes the nic down with a bad tasting vg or pg, and then the lower nic concentration used, the more bad dillution(pg/vg) youll get in your mix, but that seems unlikelly anyways...

However, i'm guessing that the statement comes from the thought of many theorizing that the higher nic concentration, the more oxidation chance/amount over time, and sometimes oxidation can make the nic turn peppery on exhale/tongue. Many times it just adds extra tobacco notes though...I have had a vg nicbase turn slight peppery on nose-exhale, but perfectly vapable unflavored still, but it was just 12mg and had stood half-full on a varm shelf in sunlight for about 18 month...

I however recently read a fellow member here stating that nic concentration and oxidation amount weren't compatible, though... Personally, I have no idea who's right on the matter.

Reactions: Badger412

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
Yeah, as stated allready, nic concentration is irrelevant and it's the actual nic source that's relevant, no matter concentration. You use the same mg nic either way in your mix...

The only difference, would be if the vendor dillutes the nic down with a bad tasting vg or pg, and then the lower nic concentration used, the more bad dillution(pg/vg) youll get in your mix, but that seems unlikelly anyways...

However, i'm guessing that the statement comes from the thought of many theorizing that the higher nic concentration, the more oxidation chance/amount over time, and sometimes oxidation can make the nic turn peppery on exhale/tongue. Many times it just adds extra tobacco notes though...I have had a vg nicbase turn slight peppery on nose-exhale, but perfectly vapable unflavored still, but it was just 12mg and had stood half-full on a varm shelf in sunlight for about 18 month...

I however recently read a fellow member here stating that nic concentration and oxidation amount weren't compatible, though... Personally, I have no idea who's right on the matter.
Higher concentration = less oxidation.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
I was watching a YT video on diy and the guy said that he buys his nicotine concentrate in the 36mg/ml ratio as opposed to the 100mg/ml because of the harsh taste of the 100mg.. Is there any truth to that? Its the only time i have heard that and i am awaiting my first diy supply order including 100mg nicotine.. So sorry if this has been asked before but i read thru so many posts and could not find my answer.. Thanks, Badger.
It is complete bullmanure. Youtube is famous for it.
I do not know what concentration of nic resellers are getting, but it should be at least 100 mg or higher. If you order 36 mg, they will dilute their stock nic (of high concentration) and send it to you. So, anything you can get is made of high concentration nicotine.

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
Higher concentration = less oxidation.

According to what I have read it is exactly the opposite. Lower nicotine concentrations have a longer shelf life. Less nicotine is exposed to the air at the top of a bottle when compared to the nicotine that is exposed in a 100mg\ml bottle.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
This is going to be my first attempt at diy and im sorta stressing a little bit lmao.. Thanks again, Badger

If this is your first DIY you probably shouldn't be using NIC at all ..... you should perfect your recipe with pg/vg + flavorings first......why waste nic solution which is more expensive on a concoction that may not even be acceptable to you.

That would be one reason not to pre mix pg/vg/nic solution at least until you came up with a few good recipes first.

Badger412

Jul 30, 2015
If this is your first DIY you probably shouldn't be using NIC at all ..... you should perfect your recipe with pg/vg + flavorings first......why waste nic solution which is more expensive on a concoction that may not even be acceptable to you.

That would be one reason not to pre mix pg/vg/nic solution at least until you came up with a few good recipes first.
Firat and foremost thanks again to ALL the help i received from numerous posters.. And to the posters regarding the nic concentrate, in my noobish mind, i expected that by using a 100mg/ml nic will last me longer than say a 36mg/ml nic base.. Thanks a million, Badger

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
According to what I have read it is exactly the opposite. Lower nicotine concentrations have a longer shelf life. Less nicotine is exposed to the air at the top of a bottle when compared to the nicotine that is exposed in a 100mg\ml bottle.

You would be right if the diluted nic was stored in ONE bottle with the same diameter. But the fact is the higher volume requires more than one bottle to accommodate.

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
I don't know anything about the subject personally, but if I may explain Alien Traveler's reasoning in my own "badly" way :) Then I believe his reasoning being that the amount of oxidation proportionally, will be less in percent of the higher nic concentation. If the same bottle types, head space and O2 in headspace/disolved in vg/pg, then when all the O2 molecules have reacted(oxidiced) with the nic molecules, then the oxidation percent of total nic content should be lower in the high nic scenario... If you e.g. loose 1mg potency in a 10mg dillution, then the oxidation amount is much higher proportionally compared to loosing 1mg in a 100mg dillution. It would be 10% oxidation vs 1%...

Sorry if i'm not understanding/explaining your reasoning correctly Alien Traveler :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Rossum

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Just one more i promise lol...should i be storing my nic in the fridge?

Re bottle your nic into bottles that will hold a 3 month supply. Keep one bottle in the refrigerator for every day use and the rest in the freezer. Use amber boston round glass bottles. I buy NIC by the liter and re bottle into 120ml bottles.

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
I was watching a YT video on diy and the guy said that he buys his nicotine concentrate in the 36mg/ml ratio as opposed to the 100mg/ml because of the harsh taste of the 100mg.. Is there any truth to that?
Unless I missed it, everyone missed the obvious answer... that guy bought his 36mg nic from someone that diluted it down from a 100mg (or higher) concentrate :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread