Nicotine from tomatoes/eggplants?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elgatoenelsombrero

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2012
Gautier, MS
I was just curious, if the day comes that the powers that be allow the FDA to regulate ecigs because of its ties to tobacco due to the nicotine content being extracted from tobacco, if e-juice could start being made with tomato/eggplant extracted nicotine to break its ties to tobacco completely and circumvent FDA regulation.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
It takes about 10 pounds of tomatoes or 22 pounds of eggplant to equal what's in one cigarette's tobacco. It would be expensive. Vegetable nicotine is measured in nanograms. A cigarette has about 1mg nic content ... 1000 times difference in the scales. Good thought, though.

The FDA regulates nicotine sold commercially on a separate basis. Any source would be taxed. What's in our juice is classed as food grade nicotine. There's also an agricutural grade nic sold for use in manufacturing certain pesticides. Golf courses buy it in bulk to mix a pesticide for controlling bugs in turf.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
DaveP, I was under the impression that the absurd taxes the fda puts on cigarettes was tobacco products, not nicotine products. I wasn't aware of that.

They do plan to tax ecig juice as a tobacco product.

The FDA can get around most anything they wish to if it generates tax money for the government and the everyday funding of the FDA. It would just be an extension of the current tax on cigarettes and ecigs, modified to include other sources of nicotine.

Most nicotine is advertised to be from pharmaceutical sources, most from Europe, from what I hear. Agricultural nic isn't pure enough and contains other by products of tobacco, such as alkoloids and possibly some level of carcinogens.

A Google search revealed that there's already an ECF thread from 2009 that discussed sources of nicotine. I'm sure there are many more right here on ECF.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/nicotine/17893-pure-nicotine-where-does-nicotine-come.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread