Nicotine Harshness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sherif E

Apr 22, 2017
Hi,

So, I am new to DIY. I bought a few different fruity flavors, that I think I may like, to hopefully experiment and make some batches I like. However, the issue I have, is the harshness of my batches with nicotine.

I made all my batches at 3mg strength. Because the few I made were so harsh at this mild level of nicotine strength, I made some without nicotine at all. These were all smooth. I thought it was the nicotine I bought, which was 100mg PG based from diyvaporsupply. I contacted them, and they sent me another 100mg PG based nicotine, but the harshness remained.

So, I bought a 24mg VG base nicotine from ecigexpress, to see if there would be a difference. Well the issue remains. I just don't know what I may be doing wrong. But, no nicotine smooth, with nicotine harsh, no matter which one I have used.

I have made sure my calculations are exact using the calculator. The flavors I have used are redtouch strawberry (FA), Candy Watermelon (FlavorWest), Watermelon (TFA), and Arctic WInter Menthol (FA). I am keeping it simple.

I never had this harshness with any premium e-liquid's I purchased at the 3mg strength level. They were all smooth. Wish my DIY can be this way. ANy advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Reactions: Kenna

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Out of the juice flavors you mentioned that only one I've tried is Watermelon. I've mixed and vaped Health Cabin and Capella and both are smooth and flavorful. I mix my juices at 3% nic (1.5mg of 100mg/ml nic in a 50ml bottle of DIY juice makes a 3mg/ml mix).

What's your recipe? If you list your mix in milligram or milliliter amounts we might be able to see why it's harsh. Can you publish your recipe here?

You might also name your juice calculator and show us the default setup for nic and the other components.

Last edited:

tiggerrts

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2012
Texas
Hi,

So, I am new to DIY. I bought a few different fruity flavors, that I think I may like, to hopefully experiment and make some batches I like. However, the issue I have, is the harshness of my batches with nicotine.

I made all my batches at 3mg strength. Because the few I made were so harsh at this mild level of nicotine strength, I made some without nicotine at all. These were all smooth. I thought it was the nicotine I bought, which was 100mg PG based from diyvaporsupply. I contacted them, and they sent me another 100mg PG based nicotine, but the harshness remained.

So, I bought a 24mg VG base nicotine from ecigexpress, to see if there would be a difference. Well the issue remains. I just don't know what I may be doing wrong. But, no nicotine smooth, with nicotine harsh, no matter which one I have used.

I have made sure my calculations are exact using the calculator. The flavors I have used are redtouch strawberry (FA), Candy Watermelon (FlavorWest), Watermelon (TFA), and Arctic WInter Menthol (FA). I am keeping it simple.

I never had this harshness with any premium e-liquid's I purchased at the 3mg strength level. They were all smooth. Wish my DIY can be this way. ANy advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Um so 100mg cut in half is 50, cut in half again properly is 25%, half again is 12.5%, and down 6.25% and once more 3.125; did you cut the nicotine down that much?

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Try buying the nic at a nic supplier. A vape store isn't that committed to a supplier and may not have a good turnaround for freshness. Several vape shops carry the Exact same nic...
ECX is a nic & flavoring supplier, not a vape store. I've used their nic with no problem. I wonder about the menthol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Reactions: tiggerrts

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Sherif E, it sounds like you have nic from two suppliers that are commonly used by members here on ECF. Is your nic nice and clear or is it yellow tinted? Oxidation over time causes peppery taste and a yellow tint.

I've been procrastinating with getting my nic in the freezer, but it's still water clear after 9 months at room temp and has no harshness other than the little nic bite you normally get from 3mg/ml nic in the juice.

The reason I asked to see your mix and the calculator setup data is that I suspect you may have an error in your nicotine input info in your calculator. That's especially suspect if you didn't reenter your nic data when you switched from 100mg/ml nic to 24mg/ml nic. The recipe is based on that data as well as the specific gravity of the components in the calculator.

Can you show us your default data input into the calculator? What calculator are you using?

ValevGK

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2017
I read your post's and assuming lot of signals that something is wrong with my nico. No label with date of expired. Color is yellow tinted /like color of Shade flavor after 2 months steeping/. Because of color of bottles /dark blue/ I didn't saw this. Now what....I have two bottles of bad tasting nico!? Grrrrrr...

Изпратено от моят CHM-U01 с помощта на Tapatalk

tiggerrts

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2012
Texas
Nicotine in a PG base in the freezer will last for years, it can not freeze. That being said, those who have done studies say that 1% is still lost in nicotine strength each year. Out in the open in light and heat is another factor; I recommend buying it in whole and in a PG base and put the bottles in the freezer. When brought out carefully, add VG to the mix if you are not allergic to this. That is what I do, go from 100 cut to 50, then when making DIY juice; you use the calculator and the juices to make the % you want.

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Deleted per OP's Request

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
I read your post's and assuming lot of signals that something is wrong with my nico. No label with date of expired. Color is yellow tinted /like color of Shade flavor after 2 months steeping/. Because of color of bottles /dark blue/ I didn't saw this. Now what....I have two bottles of bad tasting nico!? Grrrrrr...

Изпратено от моят CHM-U01 с помощта на Tapatalk
There is seldom, if ever an expiration date. There is usually a made on date. There has to be something about your measurements or flavoring. Please ptovide thr info Dave requested so we can help you. Doubtful if anything is wrong with your nic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
Hi,

your DIY can be smooth ... try mixing your recipes using this nicotine ... I am quite confident the problem will be gone.

120 mL EU Sourced Nicotine (100 mg USP/EP) " SAMPLE"

I had the same issues before I found Vapers Tek ... IMO, even premium vendor juice is not as smooth as what can made with VT Premium.

ValevGK

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2017

Sherif E

Apr 22, 2017
Out of the juice flavors you mentioned that only one I've tried is Watermelon. I've mixed and vaped Health Cabin and Capella and both are smooth and flavorful. I mix my juices at 3% nic (1.5mg of 100mg/ml nic in a 50ml bottle of DIY juice makes a 3mg/ml mix).

What's your recipe? If you list your mix in milligram or milliliter amounts we might be able to see why it's harsh. Can you publish your recipe here?

You might also name your juice calculator and show us the default setup for nic and the other components.
These are two of my recipes that I use from e-liquid recipes http://..................../recipe/1333879/Strawberry and http://..................../recipe/1360421/Watermelon. I use 4.73g of the 24mg VG based nicotine, and 0.93g of 100mg PG based nicotine. This is for a 30ml batch.

I make sure I put the correct nicotine information when I input the values. But, like I said, whether I use 100mg PG based or the 24mg VG based nicotines, I get the same harshness.

I would like to experiment with more recipes, but before I can proceed, I have to figure out this harshness issue, because everything I make will be unvapeable.

Oh, and the VG and PG I bought is the "Essential Depot" brand from Amazon. I figured I would disclose that also, if this may be an issue.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
These are two of my recipes that I use from e-liquid recipes http://..................../recipe/1333879/Strawberry and http://..................../recipe/1360421/Watermelon. I use 4.73g of the 24mg VG based nicotine, and 0.93g of 100mg PG based nicotine. This is for a 30ml batch.

I make sure I put the correct nicotine information when I input the values. But, like I said, whether I use 100mg PG based or the 24mg VG based nicotines, I get the same harshness.

I would like to experiment with more recipes, but before I can proceed, I have to figure out this harshness issue, because everything I make will be unvapeable.

Oh, and the VG and PG I bought is the "Essential Depot" brand from Amazon. I figured I would disclose that also, if this may be an issue.

You aren't severely overloading your juice in nic content if you are adding 4.73g of 24mg/ml nic or .93g of 100mg/ml nic. My 3mg/ml recipe uses 1.5g of 100mg/ml nic base for a 50ml bottle.

Essential Depot PG and VG are widely used by DIYers here on ECF. That's what I use and I order it from Amazon, also.

Last edited:

Sherif E

Apr 22, 2017
You are severely overloading your juice in nic content if you are adding 4.73g of 24mg/ml nic or .93g of 100mg/ml nic. My 3mg/ml recipe uses 1.5mg (milligrams, not grams) of 100mg/ml nic base for a 50ml bottle. Are you sure you didn't mean to type mg instead of g in your post? If it's grams you are adding then that's the problem with the harshness. You are probably feeling a buzz from vaping it.

Essential Depot PG and VG are widely used by DIYers here on ECF. That's what I use and I order it from Amazon, also.
I use the e-liquid-recipes calculator. I input in the desired strength at 3mg, and input the nicotine strength at 24mg 100% VG base. The calculations made are 3.75ml or 4.73g. I use a scale and put in these weights. So that's what I did.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I use the e-liquid-recipes calculator. I input in the desired strength at 3mg, and input the nicotine strength at 24mg 100% VG base. The calculations made are 3.75ml or 4.73g. I use a scale and put in these weights. So that's what I did.

You might want to check out your default data settings. My EjuiceMeUp calculator is set for 100mg/ml nic base and a 3mg/ml nic recipe calls for 1.628g of 100mg/ml nic base in a 50ml mix. Looks like you may be creating juice that contains a good bit more than that amount if you are actually adding 4.73g to 30ml. It's not all that hot, but it would be quite a bit higher in nic bite/harshness than you expected ... something like 15% nic instead of 3%.

When I change my recipe to 30ml batch size the nic amount is .926g. 4.73g is about 5 times higher. That may be the source of your harshness.

ETA: I missed the fact that you were using 24mg nic base in the recipe this time. That mix shouldn't be overly harsh.

Last edited:

Sherif E

Apr 22, 2017
You might want to check out your default data settings. My EjuiceMeUp calculator is set for 100mg/ml nic base and a 3mg/ml nic recipe calls for 1.5mg of 100mg/ml nic base in a 50ml mix. Looks like you may be creating juice that contains many times that amount if you are actually adding 4.73g. Did you mean to type 4.73mg? If you meant 4.73g then your mix is extremely hot on nic.
The e-liquid-recipes calculator shows ml and g. So, it's in grams not mg. 1ml = 1g. So, it calculates 3.75ml which equals 4.73g of the 24mg VG nicotine. So, I take my dropper and added 4.73g of the nicotine to the bottle I am mixing in. Now I am very confused, lol.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
The e-liquid-recipes calculator shows ml and g. So, it's in grams not mg. 1ml = 1g. So, it calculates 3.75ml which equals 4.73g of the 24mg VG nicotine. So, I take my dropper and added 4.73g of the nicotine to the bottle I am mixing in. Now I am very confused, lol.

Sorry! I've been in and out today with visiting company in the house. I missed the 24mg base number when I posted that. In your original post you talked about 100mg nic and then you ordered 24mg for comparison. It's been one of those days for interrupted conversations and I was thinking you added 4.73g of 100mg/ml nic.

Since you've tried the recipe with 24mg and 100mg nic base with the same results the only thing left is flavorings. PG and VG are pretty bland on throat hit even with nic added. I vape DIY 3mg/ml unflavored nic base at 70pg/30vg quite a bit and it's smooth. I do hope that you find the problem.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread