Nicotine in E-liquid vs. Nicotine in Tobacco Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrj7j

Nov 18, 2010
United States
Ive been reading up on how much nicotine you get out of e-cigs. Since i'm a constant vaper i often wonder if I am getting more nicotine with ecigs. Well here is a little information to help you figure out how much nicotine your are taking in.

There is about 1mg of nicotine in an average tobacco cigarette (give or take some depending on what type it is)

I use 16mg juice so that's what I will be using as an example. (if you use a different strength insert it where i use 16)

juice strength (mg) X amount of liquid (ml) = total nicotine in the bottle

16 X 30 = 480mg of nicotine

So how much per drop??
(drops are very hard to measure and can vary greatly so all of this info is estimated)

There are about 20 drops of e-liquid per ml. In 16mg eliq there would be about .08mg of nicotine per drop (16 ÷ 20).

so if you are dripping directly onto your atty...
20 drops should contain about the same amount of nicotine as a pack of cigs.

but...
Nicotine is not absorbed 100% with each hit, you could be absorbing anywhere from about 50%-80% of the nicotine each inhale. Cigarettes contain ingredients that maximize the amount of nicotine absorbed eliquid does not.

How much per puff?!?
(puffs can vary from person to person, and also from different ecig models)

Cigarette
with a tobacco cigarette (about 1mg of nicotine) you can get about 10-12 puffs
amount of nicotine (mg) / puffs = amount of nicotine per puff

1/10=.1mg of nicotine per puff
1/12=.083mg of nicotine per puff

E-cig
.08mg per drop
about 5 puffs per drop(estimate)
.08/5= .016 mg of nicotine per puff

hopefully this post is helpful (and hopefully all of my calculations are correct
icon_razz.gif
), a lot of this information is hard to come by, so i figured I'd do the dirty work and put it all in one spot for everyone!
icon_e_smile.gif

Reactions: PLANofMAN

erischilde

Nov 26, 2010
Toronto
it's confusing.. but it does help a little.. i've been trying to figure the same thing out.

i'm using mid to lower nic/ml juices... and i'm puffing all day. i find that hitting the higher ones gives me the throat swell and dizzy/barfy feeling of smoking too much.
so puffing all day long at my desk i'm using 10 or even less mg/ml liquid.. and doing great...
i figured less nic over longer periods...

keep poking around! i'm too lazy to do it, but i'd love a solid answer LOL

liscombc

Verified Member
Nov 27, 2011
NY
I just read in another post, that the heat of the coil or atomizer burns up a lot of the nicotine. Nicotine only survives up to a certain temperature, I'll have to find that post again. With that information it becomes almost impossible to determine how much nicotine you are really taking in.

I currently make my own ~18mg and use around 3-4mL per day. My lungs feel great, and I don't get the headaches I used to get from analogs. I tried to cut down to 12mg/mL but I was just using a lot more juice.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
There is a logic error in the calculation made by the OP. This is explained here:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ette-vs-e-cigarette-nicotine-equivalency.html

Basically: you cannot compare a pile of tobacco (a cigarette) to ecig vapor, just as you cannot compare a tank of eliquid to cigarette smoke. You can only compare like with like: tobacco with eliquid, smoke with vapor.

We know how much nicotine is in the average cigarette: 18mg.
We know how much nic is in the average carto: 14.5mg.
We could compare those two (although there is not much point).

We know how much nic is in the total smoke from 1 cigarette: 1mg.
We don't have a reliable measure of how much nic is in ecig vapor equivalent to a cigarette session.
Therefore we cannot calculate anything based on the numbers.

In fact we don't even know where to start: the inhales will need to be longer - 4 seconds? 6 seconds? What then?
The session will need to be about twice as long as the 5 minutes a cigarette lasts for, or you don't get enough nic. OK - 10 minutes? 12 minutes? 15 minutes perhaps?

So maybe you get the picture: there is no basis for calculating a cigarette to ecig equivalency by the use of numbers.

You can guess it quite well, as you can just take what feels right. And since that's the only thing that matters anyway - why worry.

"If I use 24mg and inhale for 5 seconds on my Riva and do that for 12 minutes, I get what feels like 1 cigarette's worth of usage".

There you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread