Nicotine levels, when to decrease.

Status
Not open for further replies.

noway

Mar 26, 2015
Omaha, NE, USA
I started at 18 beginning of the year and I'm on 3 now. It's a little ruff no matter when you do it. Just stick to it.

Also eliminating flavorings helped me a lot so I don't have to fight with those also. Unflavored (Hangsen calls it Flavorless) is so much easier. I do have one tank I still put a drop of coconut (not concentrate) per ML in just for a slight flavor. I can hardly taste it, but it helps once in a while.

Just have to make up your mind, and stick with the plan.

Also no flavorings will help if you need to vape a little extra. They do have an effect and I feel better without them.

Troy Noh

Apr 12, 2015
california
I started out vaping 18mg when you only have clearmizers like pro-tanks, and vive novas. and those ego style batteries. couldn't get off 18mg for a long time. When I got my first mod a nemmy clone that finally died and a RDA a igo-L my nic level dropped to 6mg, stayed at 6mg till somone made a center post build for me, and 6mg was hitting like 18.
Now down to 4mg str, have tried 3mg doesn't do it for me

bullet08

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2014
USA
as they says "whenever you please, love". if you quitted smoking completely and moved over to vape, chances are the addiction is not the nicotine. more of behavior issue.. hand to mouth thing.. i used to smoke anywhere from a pack to a half pack a day. i started with 6 mg. i don't see much different between 6 mg and 0 mg. it's the fact that i have something to "smoke" that's important to me.

Jugband

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
PA, USA
Whatever you prefer. I started out at 18mg. Then I eased down to 12mg. When I got off tanks and into RDA's I dropped off to 6mg. Two of my fellow vapor friends went down to 4mg. I myself enjoy nic. I'm happy at 6mg on a RDA. Some people proud themselves on being 0mg. I say, more power to them! If they want to be off, kudos to them! I'm happy being hooked on 6. Basically, whatever your goals are. There is no right or wrong answer to this. Wherever your happy at, vape on!

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Another thing to keep in mind, some vendors will let you request a strength. Ask your favorite vendor if they will mix something that is not listed in their menu.

Mine is very accommodating. After dropping to 12mg the next drop listed was 6mg. That was just too scary of a drop. I asked if they could do custom and they said yes :)
Went to 9mg that worked so after the 9mg I would request a 1mg drop over MANY months. After getting used to the one drop, I would take my time and then try the next 1mg drop.

Currently I am down to 5mg. Just did that one recently and I don't notice any difference.

Good luck. Take your time, there is no reason to rush it. :)

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I was wondering what the best time frame is for decreasing nicotine levels? I'm currently at 18mg, and I don't want to decrease too fast if it would be hard to adjust. Also don't want to overcompensate and chain vape but I'm aware that some of that might happen when I eventually do decrease.

Should I wait 1 month? 6 months to decrease? Curious to find out what you guys did, and if it worked well for you.

Also would like to know if it was difficult, in regards to craving more nicotine.

Not exactly something to be too worried about
EXCEPT nowadays, if you buy a new device and it runs at Twice the WATTAGE, you'll find you need to drop the nicotine level by half.

Paul Smale

May 24, 2015
Plymouth UK
I started at 24nic, that first morning vape is the clincher, eventually the back of your tongue tells you its had enough and you drop, was on 18nic until I bought a kayfun which amplifies everything, so dropped to 12 and been there ever since. If your looking to quit imagine its easy over a couple years.
Am happy at 12nic for the foreseeable.
Lots of people seem to think they can drop the nic and ramp up the watts, though all they end up doing is consuming more power, more battery life, and more juice to compensate. Nicotine is like coffee why panic, evidently it's not the nicotine were addicted to in cigarette's and its the anti-depressants, checkout this video

Kilo3

Apr 11, 2015
Florida
Just keep in mind that your equipment makes a big difference. High ohm/ low power starter kits are much less effective at getting the vapor/nicotine to your system. Many who move from those systems to something more powerful (like me going to Subtank Minis at 3.8v, 20w, on .7 ohm coils...from an aspire BDC clearo on a spinner II) will drop nic levels quickly.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Nicotine is starting to get its due. Its not the bad guy it was thought to be

Niacin is nicotine, niacin is proving to be an anti cancer drug.

Nicotine is showing positive results in regards to preventing Alzheimer's and maybe dementia.
Early tests are showing promising results in helping with adhd/add.

After 41/2 years I'm at 6-8 mg only because the devices I use are very efficient.

I personally have no desire to wean myself off nic completely

Dioxyde

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2011
Oregon
I tried to ween myself off for quite awhile, started at 12mg liquid and moved all the way down to 3mg for a couple months, I definitely vaped more liquid and felt very fatigued all the time - I don't know if that was from vaping more juice or the drop in nicotine - probably both. At this point I've decided it's probably better to just stick with nicotine, the benefits to my quality of life (or perhaps just the depth of my addiction to it) seem to outweigh the benefits to quitting based on my experience so far, and like Thrasher said nicotine itself isn't shown to be all that scary of a health risk when the smoking part is taken out of the picture.

Went back to 6mg the past week and I'm feeling a lot better, maybe I'm hopelessly addicted, but at least we have vaping as an option now and don't have to die an early death from lung cancer, plus for the price of two cartons of smokes you can have a lifetime supply of nicotine.. Pretty good trade off imo.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
There is no requirement to EVER decrease your nic level. Nicotine will not harm you, unless you already have a major cardiovascular disorder -- such as off-the-charts high blood pressure.

If you begin to feel too hyper, have shaking hands, nausea, vomiting, ........, or a major headache, THEN you might want to decrease your nic level. I would suggest dropping NO MORE than 3mg at a time; when you get to 6mg, if you still want to decrease, then I'd suggest going 1mg at a time.

I started at 6mg, because I chainvaped like a maniac; now I vape 10mg, so I mostly don't chainvape, but it's still low enough that if I feel like it, I *can* chainvape without feeling nauseous, I just mostly don't feel like it.

Andria

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
I stayed at my starting level for a month, then I started stepping down. I kept a cheap tank of higher nicotine handy when I switched to the lower levels and hit it once when the lower level couldn't scratch the itch. Each adjustment to a lower level only took me a week and then the itch was gone. Good luck in your journey, you CAN do it!

Equipment influences the nicotine level also. The better the delivery device, the more e juice it will consume and therefore the more nicotine you will ingest.

I started vape with the goal of reaching zero nicotine. For me it was the fact I never wanted to feel antsy if I was at a place where I couldn't vape. Nicotine had such a strong hold it effected my life I am on my mission to rid myself of it's hold. I'm down to 3 or less, and this past weekend the time spent away from vape was painless due to the low nic level.

Last edited:

Tomorrow AR

May 25, 2015
Arkansas, USA
For me it was when I was sitting around vaping so much I was getting nicotine overdose! After a few years of getting away from analogs (30 year smoker)I had lowered my nicotine dependence. I finally got a real APV after playing around with Blu's for a couple of months. I started with 12mg but I was enjoying vaping so much with my new rig I was overdoing it. I got some lower nicotine juice (6mg) so I can sit around and chain vape in the evening if I want to. :) I would like to be free of nicotine addiction so here in a few months I will try going down to 3mg and then a couple after that to 0. But now that I have quit smoking I feel I can take my time with the nicotine since I am now free from all the other risks of smoking.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Just the fact you guys are stepping down and going without with so much ease should show you its not really the nicotine you were so heavily addicted too.........its not quite the addictive monster it was made out to be.

Recent research has now shown Smokers can't put down smokes but non smokers who were given nicotine all walked away after months of use at the end of the test with no relapse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread