Nicotine Myth Busted - Nicotine does not cause adiction IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turnip

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2011
Australia
Hi there,
I agree with the OP inasmuch as Nicotine gets the blame for everything bad about Cigarettes...Its not the Nicotine that makes for the Yellow fingers, stained walls, stinky smell, its the smoke, and people who for years cook in smokey huts and kitchens
tend to get lung problems. I do think Nic is addictive, but I suspect the whole leaf we smoke in Cigs is more addictive than the extract in our Vaporisers.
Actually all the Nightshades contain Alkaloids, tobacco leaf being the highest, then Eggplant, Tomato ect, in lesser amounts than tobacco. Nicotine apparently stimulates the receptors in the Brain, and gives a temporary surge of energy, but eventually with years of use overstimulates and the user ends up with jangled nerves,

This article does a good job of explaining it all-( Cortez did the World no favours when he introduced these plants, lol )
Nightshade Foods « OrganicFoodee.com

throatkick

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
FL
I had once written a long message about this but then deleted it as it had gotten a very long and complex.

I think blaming it all on nicotine is the easy way out. I am not directly questioning if it is addictive or not, rather I am questioning the research that has been done or at least the explanations that have been given. I feel the research is "skirting" many issues and that they never got to the absolute bottom of it. I have a gnawing feeling that this was done to simply control it, tax it and then let it be. We were happy puffing away on cigarettes, BT was making huge bucks and GOVT was doing the same.

The first, and most obvious, point I would make is that if it was only the nicotine we would have all quit with the patch. Since nicotine is so addictive, why would administering "more of the same" help to reduce the addiction? We could just smoke less and taper off that way, right?

Many people quit smoking for extended periods but then return to it? Why is this? Is there some type of memory effect with the addiction or is it triggered by a psychological response? It is generally accepted that nicotine leaves the body rather quickly.

How is it that so many women are able to quit immediately when they discover they are pregnant? Does the addiction go away magically?

A business associate recently quit smoking for the third time. He wanted to be chemical free as he and wife have decided to have another child. How is it he can quit for 2-3 months at a time whenever they plan to have a child but otherwise cannot quit? He too, has tried almost every method known to man.

Just yesterday I was speaking with a gentleman who was interested in my box mod because his brother is a very heavy smoker. During the course of the conversation, he told me he quit a 2 pack a day habit of many years cold turkey. This was because his young daughter came home crying from school after being told how bad smoking is and begged him not to die. Again, did the chemical addiction magically disappear?

Why is it that some are more addicted than others? Assuming two people smoke the same exact brand, is it not interesting to know why someone smokes 3 packs and the other 1/2 a pack?

Why is it that, generally speaking, it is the poorer, less educated that smoke? Does self-esteem play a role? I am asking because I fail to see how having a large bank account can directly change a chemical reaction. Nicotine, either bonds to receptors or it doesn't.

I am not turning this into some conspiracy theory but if I was in control of all the funds collected, these are the things I would have been looking at closely and would have made the findings readily available. If I can ask these questions, I am certain there are many scientists can ask 100x better. It just seems this issue is about 10 levels deep and "solutions" are being offered one level at a time. I don't appreciate being viewed as a business model.

My 2 cents.

P.S. I am certain that some here have more knowledge and insight than I as it relates to answering some of these questions. I am addressing it in its totality and not specifically. For example, a doctor on TV will say nicotine is addictive and smoking is bad. That's usually about it. He/she will rarely (if ever) say that 70% (wild guess) of women quit smoking when pregnant and provide reasons for that beyond the obvious.

LuV2SkRaTcH

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2012
Mountain House, CA
Some people stick to their motivation stronger than others... People are made differently with different social experience. I don't think the addiction magically goes away, I just think putting a child at risk of health problems overrides the need for a cigarette.

Asking why some people are more addicted than others while smoking the same number and type of cigarettes, is like asking why someone skinny who eats exactly the same as another person who looks the same way as someone who is thicker. We don't digest the same regardless of our similar likes and dislikes... Addictions and motivations. Some people are just made to be addicted to things and others aren't. I, myself, have an addictive personality. Once addicted to smoking, now vaping... And video games! Haha!

throatkick

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
FL
Some people are just made to be addicted to things and others aren't.

Right, but this we already know. My entire message revolves around finding out the root cause. Finding out why this difference in the levels of addiction occurs and why certain factors seem to "override' the addiction would seem like a logical step in the "battle" against a lot of addictions, including smoking.

Instead we have gotten "Here, stick a patch on your arm."

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
So who are we going to believe, the one scientists hypothesis or about 30 years of scientific studies that have been peer reviewed?????
Good question, but when you follow the money trail, you will find that a majority of the "peer-reviewed" studies link back to the Robert Woods Johnson Foundation and Johnson and Johnson or that the "scientists" are heavily divested with drug company grant money. Drug companies have a huge profit interest in smoking cessation products. If these groups were so consumed with an actual interest in the health of smokers, we would not still have Chantix on the market, and we would see products with high rates of success rather than the 4% success rate of products promoted by the medical world and by the FDA.
Chantix Spoof - YouTube

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
The following was posted by Rolygate on 6/10/12, the rest of the link is here :
We have also just heard that someone in the pharmaceutical industry has offered a six-figure sum for any researchers who can come up with reasons why ecigs could be banned: such as design faults, lead in solder, asbestos in wicks, or contaminants in e-liquid. These issues could then be magnified out of all proportion (like the FDA press release) to create a fabricated laundry list of 'dangerous faults' that would provide a basis for an international call to ban ecigs.

nanovapr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Catatonic State, USA
People are different. I was highly addicted to the complete smoking ritual. I tried patches, cold-turkeyed several times. When I wasn't smoking I was not much fun to be around. Vaping made quitting comparatively easy, once I got juice and PV that worked for me.

Conversely, my brother-in-law is a massive Pepsi drinker. He tried to go to decaf, and had massive headaches. I have been a big diet soda drinker as well, never a coffee drinker. I noticed long ago that the caffeine doesn't keep me up at night, nor wake me up in the morning at all. Three years ago I went to decaf diet, and literally could not tell any difference. No one told me to, I just thought that if I see no benefit or effect at all, I may as well quit.

As a decades-long addict former smoker, I would think that I have more of an addictive personality than my brother-in-law. However I quit caffeine effortlessly, while he still drinks regular Pepsi.

People are different.

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
The following was posted by Rolygate on 6/10/12, the rest of the link is here :
We have also just heard that someone in the pharmaceutical industry has offered a six-figure sum for any researchers who can come up with reasons why ecigs could be banned: such as design faults, lead in solder, asbestos in wicks, or contaminants in e-liquid. These issues could then be magnified out of all proportion (like the FDA press release) to create a fabricated laundry list of 'dangerous faults' that would provide a basis for an international call to ban ecigs.

Whoa dude! That's crazy. Is there a reference for that?

TheBlueAdept

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2010
Northern California
I've heard that nicotine can lead to periodontal problems! I work with dentist who say nicotine can cause issues in regaurds to dental health!

I suspect its damage more from the smoke, toxins, etc from smoke (and similar for chewing tobacco or snuff) than the actual nic, as I doubt it was tested in an isolated manner. I'm not a doctor or dentist, just my random two cents.

Sent from my phone; Please excuse typos / autocorrections.

Striker911

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
Mountain Home, AR
People are different and I had a real hard time quitting. I always wanted a analog but I just pushed myself harder then ever to quit. I was over $250 in with the ecigs I had and no way was I going to be able to come clean and tell my wife I wanted to go back to smoking. I didn't even want to. So I vape my face off till the urge went away. It was a very hard thing for me. So I have first hand EXP that the other things in CIGS had me hooked. That was also a driving force. No way will I ever go back.

Now that I vape I have can say that I am addicted to it as well. Sure some of it can be that its new and exciting. Buying anything for the most part is exciting. But when I forget my Ecig at home is when I notice more so that its an addiction.

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
People are different and I had a real hard time quitting. I always wanted a analog but I just pushed myself harder then ever to quit. I was over $250 in with the ecigs I had and no way was I going to be able to come clean and tell my wife I wanted to go back to smoking. I didn't even want to. So I vape my face off till the urge went away. It was a very hard thing for me. So I have first hand EXP that the other things in CIGS had me hooked. That was also a driving force. No way will I ever go back.

Now that I vape I have can say that I am addicted to it as well. Sure some of it can be that its new and exciting. Buying anything for the most part is exciting. But when I forget my Ecig at home is when I notice more so that its an addiction.

I have a very addictive personality. WTS after 17 yrs of 2+ PAD I was able to switch overnight, but I was ready. I can honestly say it was relatively withdrawl free. However now that I have worked my way down to 6mg, vaping is still to me exactly what smoking was. I cant leave the house without an extra batt, atty, and a little juice just in case. I am one of those people who will vape forever. Even when I'm down to 0 nic. Between the hobby and the part where my mind still thinks I'm smoking, I just enjoy it.

EDIT : Good thing I can operate a PV better than a PC.

Last edited:

Striker911

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
Mountain Home, AR
I have a very addictive personality. WTS after 17 yrs of 2+ PAD I was able to switch overnight, but I was ready. I can honestly say it was relatively withdrawl free. However now that I have worked my way down to 6mg, vaping is still to me exactly what smoking was. I cant leave the house without an extra batt, atty, and a little juice just in case. I am one of those people who will vape forever. Even when I'm down to 0 nic. Between the hobby and the part where my mind still thinks I'm smoking, I just enjoy it.

EDIT : Good thing I can operate a PV better than a PC.

Wow, 6mg, that's awesome. I went from 24 to 18 and I think I am about to take it down to 14 if only I can vape my DIY stock pile down. Have about 90ml left.

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
Wow, 6mg, that's awesome. I went from 24 to 18 and I think I am about to take it down to 14 if only I can vape my DIY stock pile down. Have about 90ml left.

Oh I was chain vaping 24 for a month then 18 then 12 and so on. I had to keep a tank full of the lower # to vape all day and I would drip some heavier stuff when ever I would need to. It took like 3 months to get down here. I also have a frankenstein collection of mixed juices, because I have to keep buying lower content to cut what I have to a useable #. The good part is I have buckets of juice. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread