Nicotine, too much can cause GERD in some people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
Thought I would start a new thread since this one will have a single purpose. Nicotine and it's effect on mine and others GI track. I had problems with vaping 36mg e-liquid. I would get GERD and have a real bad time with it because it feels just like a heart attack. I finally lowered my e-juice strength to 24mg and have had only one attach since that time, until today.

Today I have added snus to my daily routine along with the PV. So, I think I will have to be careful about my total nicotine intake. It's going to be hard to determine what my limits are now that I have added a second nicotine source. I will have fun trying to figure this out.

Anyway the point to my post is to give help to others who have similar issues. I proved a point today. When I told my doctor that when I vape too much I get GERD and he asked if I had tried another source for nicotone like the gum. I told him that I didn't think it mattered what the source for nicotine was. Now I have proved that it doesn't matter what the source for the nicotine is it's the total intake that seems to matter.

One good point to make is that I have discovered a way to prove whether or not I am having a GERD attack. The symptoms of GERD in my experience is that it feels just like a heart attack. In fact it acts so much like a heart attack that if you take a nitro tablet it will go away. My test is to drink a full glass of water. If it goes away it was probably GERD and not a heart attack. You should still go to a doctor to have the problem investigated to be sure. It is really a scarry feeling. I have had angina which led to heart bypass surgery. The first time I had a GERD attack I took the nitro and the pain went away. That told me and my doctor that I was having a heart attack. An entire weekend and $50,000.00 later I got the GERD diagnosis. I have told my friend that I will probably die from a heart attack because I will think it is only a GERD attack.

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
A2dc, Useful info re the glass of water. Thanks.
Isn't there some kind of electronic monitor you could use to differentiate between the 2 things?

C.

I had the kitchen sink thrown at me back in 2006 when I was hospitalized. They ran every test they could before coming up with the diagnosis. I could wear a heart monitor but it would take the doctor to read the data. Nothing I could simply check would be available. I can't go through the expense of having tests run everytime I have an attack.

Last edited:

Caesarea

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2009
UK
I had the kitchen sink thrown at me back in 2006 when I was hospitalized. They ran every test they could before coming up with the disgnosis. I could wear a heart monitor but it would take the doctor to read the data. Nothing I could simply check would be available. I can't go through the expense of having tests run everytime I have an attack.

That's a bummer, sorry, it was a feeble idea. Best of luck with minimising the upsets from the nic, though.

C.

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
With all the snus you tried last night, adverse reactions yet?

It's possible OTD. I know the nicotine half life is very short, a couple of hours, but maybe the reaction was delayed? I am watching it closer now and really don't feel the urge to vape. I'll just have to come up with a solution. This morning I was doing both at the same time. Pacing my nicotine usage will be the solution I think.

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
It's possible OTD. I know the nicotine half life is very short, a couple of hours, but maybe the reaction was delayed? I am watching it closer now and really don't feel the urge to vape. I'll just have to come up with a solution. This morning I was doing both at the same time. Pacing my nicotine usage will be the solution I think.

I see all sorts of positive for you a2d!
You may well have no problem reducing the amount you vape now that you have some potentially agreeable snus to use!

Doug_Dread

ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2009
Jo'burg, South Africa
Vaping gives me bad heartburn and when I lie down to sleep, nasty acid reflux, usually in combo with a rich meal. As soon as my stomach starts to feel iffy, I put a level teaspoon of Bicarbonate of Soda in my mouth and wash it down with a mouthful of water. A few hearty burps and all is well again. Very cheap and very effective.

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
I see all sorts of positive for you a2d!
You may well have no problem reducing the amount you vape now that you have some potentially agreeable snus to use!

I think you are right. I'm hoping to learn how to detect when I need nicotine and when I don't. Ill have to break the habit of vaping when I really don't need it.

What surprised me today was that I was really hitting the snus hard last night and didn't have a problem. I wasn't doing the hard stuff today but was both vaping and snussing at the same time. Logic should surface soon.

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
Vaping gives me bad heartburn and when I lie down to sleep, nasty acid reflux, usually in combo with a rich meal. As soon as my stomach starts to feel iffy, I put a level teaspoon of Bicarbonate of Soda in my mouth and wash it down with a mouthful of water. A few hearty burps and all is well again. Very cheap and very effective.

I'll have to give that a try. I'm taking Zegrid to help eleminate acid right now but it isn't working when I over do the nic. I found out that Zegrid is simply Nexium with Bicarbonate of Soda. My co-pay on that stuff is $75.00 a month. Oh don't get me started on BP rants.

Doug_Dread

ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2009
Jo'burg, South Africa
'Nuther cheap one for the heartburn is apple cider vinegar. A teaspoon of the apple vinegar and a teaspoon of water will knock out the the heartburn from most any cause, fast!

Not sure if this would work as well with the complications presented from GERD but...
That surprises me, neutralising acid by adding more acid? Fighting fire with fire? I'll have to try it just out of curiosity. :D

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
What surprised me the most in 2006 was to find out that Nitro will releave GERD. My gastro Dr. said that the esophagus is made of the same type of muscels that the heart is. Nitro causes this type of muscel to relax. Sounds like the next time i'll take Bicarbonate of Soda and a full glass of water.

PS: Isn't that just what alka-seltzer is?

Last edited:

martha1014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
Delhi, LA USA
I have a history of ulcer and was already taking Prolosec daily. I never got indigestion. Since starting to vape I get indigestion almost daily. The only way to stop it is Maalox. I keep several bottles around the house and take it off and on throughout the day.

I really don't know why vaping causes the indigestion but I just keep vaping and drinking Maalox. To me its just a side effect I am willing to accept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread