Status
Not open for further replies.

FringeChief68

Kingsguard
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa, USA
I found this UK article and when I first seen it I just figured it was another article about the statistics of Teens vaping and how the evil vaping industry is attracting teens.
E-cigarettes Spark Nicotine Replacement Therapy Mutiny
But I was shocked :?: I mean he does have stats on teens vaping but he also has stats on teens not smoking and how teen smoking has declined.
It was nice to read a impartial article for a change.

This is something the US news media fails to mention when they talk about or write an article about teen Vaping.
Don't get me wrong I don't want to see a 12 yr old walking around blowing clouds.
But you can join the US military at 17, and in my state (Pa.) the legal age to be married is 16.
Now I'm not going to argue what the legal age should or shouldn't be to buy tobacco products because I don't want to see anyone smoking.

Now Vaping, that's a different story all together.
Putting Vaping into the same category as tobacco is just wrong.
Nicotine isn't vaping, it's something you can ADD to it.
This to me is like saying you have to be 21 to buy a bottle of Coca-Cola because people can add alcohol to it.

Raise the age to buy Nicotine to 18 or 21.

I got no problem with a 16 yr old vaping a 0mg nic e-juice instead of smoking.

The war on Teen Smoking has been going on for how long? 40 - 50 years? And I got news for ya, we been losing that war.
But now you have something that has proven to decline teen smoking and you want to make it so they can't buy it?
That just don't make sense to me.
If the issues are with teens getting hooked one Nicotine then the focus should be on Nicotine.

Teens vaping is a Taboo subject because the haters use it for ammo against us.
It's Time that we need to throw it back in their faces :grr:

“They’re not a gateway in, and they might be accelerating the gateway out,” said David B. Abrams, executive director of the Schroeder Institute for Tobacco Research and Policy Studies, an anti-tobacco group, in this New York Times article, Use of E-Cigarettes Rises Sharply Among Teenagers

:eek:
Why Is The CDC Lying About E-Cigarettes? - Forbes

Romano Cheese

Master Mod Womper
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Great post @FringeChief68 I agree that the media cherry picks facts to suit whatever spin they decide they want on stories. I had one of my buddies friends explaining this "thing he saw on Facebook" about some lady's lungs getting coated with oil and she died. I politely told him it was a hoax, but he read it on Social Cesspool so now it is fact. Will teens vaping increase in the next few years significantly? Yes! Because it's new therefore all the stats will be extreme - plus, anytime there is something "new" or "cool" a teenager will want it - tell them NO and "it's not good for you", you might as well put flashing lights with bells and whistles on it. I started smoking at 14, so the FDA with their rules aren't effective. If a teenager picks up vaping, I think it's not a good thing, but compared to smoking it is a win.

MaenadMoogle

Jul 16, 2015
Pennsylvania, USA
If we banned every item that *might* *possibly* *someday* be bad for us, we'd be screwed. Raise the nicotine and WTA purchase age to 18 and be done with it. Let them have all the fun flavors and cloud chasing and sweet mods and diy fun. (Heck, maybe DIY juices will help some of them out with their chemistry lessons).

All I can think is "Man if somebody had handed me a 0 nic vape when I was 14 instead of an analog, I'd be in a much different place in my life. Mainly, rich". :D

MaenadMoogle

Jul 16, 2015
Pennsylvania, USA
I think that it's going to take a while for the general public to see that. For now, OF COURSE people equate vaping with nicotine usage. Most of are here vaping BECAUSE we smoked and it was a great way to quit. I think we'll see that as vaping becomes more and more mainstream it will be equated with smoking less and less.

Basically, as more people pick up vaping just for funsies, fewer people will be using the added nicotine. And the stigma that it is just a "nicotine delivery device" will start to fade.

Reactions: FringeChief68

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
I agree. Here is what I find amazing..

It is okay to drink this

Carbonated Water, Colour (Caramel E150d), Sweeteners (Aspartame, Acesulfame K), Natural Flavourings Including Caffeine, Phosphoric Acid, Citric Acid. Contains a Source of Phenylalanine

Heaven forbid us if we inhale propelyne glycol/vegetable glycol and/or flavorings.

I feel like Howie Mandell when I think about it.

What?

Reactions: FringeChief68

FringeChief68

Kingsguard
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa, USA
The first big cloud I was able to make reminded me of driving through PA at 6am in the low areas, basically driving thru fog.
Yea but that's not pollution, that's just a cloud of water vapor :?: Wait don't tell the FDA about this or they will claim it's a tobacco product and want to raise the age of driving in Pa. to 21 :facepalm:

Reactions: Gahh

Elokin6

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2009
Miami
I'm a HS teacher and I have students who vape. The ones I know of are former smokers or vaping to quit, so I don't discourage it. I would much rather them vape than smoke. My students are older because I teach senior level math, so it may be a little different. I wouldn't want freshmen who were never smokers picking it up.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
There is no war on teenage smoking and there never has been. All jurisdictions have laws against minors possessing tobacco. Those laws are never enforced anywhere ever. A couple of retired cops I know admitted they never wrote a ticket for tobacco possession in their entire careers.

Government doesn't arrest taxpayers when they are paying their taxes even when it is children harming themselves. Never the less they want a ban on child possession of ecig products. If they get that they will enforce it but continue to NOT enforce the tobacco possession laws. That amounts to drug dealers protecting their business. There should not be restrictions on access to ecigs unless and until existing laws for possession of tobacco by children are enforced.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Yeah, I think the only war on teen tobacco use I've seen is an angry mom confronting the guy at a gas station selling cigs to her teenage daughter. I've never witnessed nor read about any business getting busted for breaking that law.
Most, if not all, of the institutions protesting ecigs are tax supported and the appropriations made to them are the most discretionary so if there is a painful decline in tax revenues they are the easiest to cut back.

Today at work I listened to an NPR discussion of newly passed federal legislation that allows unproven drugs to be sold before they have been fully vetted by the FDA. The panelists were all crowing about what a great thing this is. In the mean time what they were not discussing is the new technology (ecigs) that could do more to improve people's health than all those FDA-not-approved snake oil drugs put together. And all government has to do for ecigs to be a huge success is...nothing.

Edit: And may be I overlooked the point. How can the FDA liberalize access to dangerous and unproven pharmaceuticals full of exotic compounds and then clamp down on ecigs which contain nothing unknown and are nothing much more than a home remedy.

Last edited:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
People still have not picked up on the fundamental desire to Tax the People.:blink: Teen Smoking is Profit in the Governments kitty.
Propaganda is to apease the masses. The Tax man cares not where the tax comes from so long as it comes.

If any part of government truly wanted to end tobacco use plans would have been laid out long ago to compensate for those tax losses.

Didn't happen, not happening, but going to happen...................to Vapors.:glare:

MaenadMoogle

Jul 16, 2015
Pennsylvania, USA
Yeah, I think the only war on teen tobacco use I've seen is an angry mom confronting the guy at a gas station selling cigs to her teenage daughter. I've never witnessed nor read about any business getting busted for breaking that law.

Wow, I worked at Sheetz gas stations for a number of years through college, and we definitely got shopped by undercovers all the time. They would find a local teen (usually a 17yo who looked way older), offer them money to try to buy cigarettes, they'd come in and try to buy cigarettes and then take them to the cops outside. The store I worked at was once fined $500 and the clerk who sold them was fired on the spot and had to pay a fine of $250.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread