Nitecore 40A 4200mAh 26650 Bench Test Results...useless pulse rating, performs same as others

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18350, 18650, 20700/21700, 26650, etc.

While the test results are hard data, the conclusions and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion based on my criteria for setting a rating. Carefully research any cell you are considering using before purchasing. You are responsible for your own safety.

Testing cells at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them.

If the cell has only one current rating number on it, or if it says "max" then I have to assume that the company is stating that the cell can be discharged at that current level in any way, including continuously.

IMG_5460.JPG IMG_5461.JPG IMG_5462.JPG IMG_5463.JPG IMG_5264.JPG

Bottom Line
    This cell has multiple ratings on the wrap, making it quite confusing as to what its actual ratings are. These include "Discharge Current: 40A", "DISCHARGE CURRENT: 21A/40A", and "40A".

I am assuming that 21A is the continuous current rating but it also has a 40A (pulse?) rating in multiple places on the wrap. This is unacceptable as that 40A rating cannot be used to compare this cell to any other. It is useless.

This Nitecore appears to be the same cell used for the Basen, Brillipower, HohmGrown 4200mAh-4500mAh cells and it performs like the others.

The wrap is not the standard heat shrink plastic. It is self-adhesive and appears to be similar to Mylar. I do not know how durable it is compared to the wraps being used now by other companies.

This cell says "IMR26650" and "High Drain Li-Mn" on the wrap but I do not know if it actually uses the same lithium-manganese chemistry used by batteries from the big manufacturers with the IMR model number prefix.

I am rating this Nitecore at 23A and 4200mAh.

The two cells that were tested were donated by IMRBatteries (www.imrbatteries.com). Thank you!

Continuous-Current Test Results
    IMG_5481.jpg

Pulse-Current Test Results
    IMG_5483.PNG IMG_5482.PNG

Comments
    • At 10A continuous this cell delivered 4140mAh. This is good performance for a 4200mAh rated 26650 cell so I am rating it at 4200mAh.
    To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links: List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited by a moderator:

madstabber

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Concoction Creating Cave
    Thanks for another great review Mooch, you say that you don't know if it is lithium-manganese chemistry. I was wondering is there a way to test what chemistry a battery is? Like short of having a lab tear the battery apart and see what elements are inside.
    What I'm wondering is there a analyzing charger type thing that you put a battery in and it will tell you what it is. Not just li-ion or nicad, but exactly what it's made of.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Thanks for another great review Mooch, you say that you don't know if it is lithium-manganese chemistry. I was wondering is there a way to test what chemistry a battery is? Like short of having a lab tear the battery apart and see what elements are inside.
    What I'm wondering is there a analyzing charger type thing that you put a battery in and it will tell you what it is. Not just li-ion or nicad, but exactly what it's made of.

You can measure performance with a device like that but not chemistry.

The typical discharge curves are slightly different for different chemistries but there is so much battery-to-battery variation within each chemistry you really can't differentiate between chemistries using the curves.

Lab testing of the internals is the best way. Or, if available, the MSDS often has enough info in it to reveal the chemistry used. But, no way to get the MSDS without knowing who makes the battery. :)

kiba

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 21, 2012
    Alexandria, Va, USA
    www.facebook.com
    Hey @Mooch, thanks for another great assessment, I was wondering, have a cousin, sister and brother in law who recently started vaping... do you have an updated image or pdf (one that'd be easy enough for a newcomer to understand) with all the new batteries you've tested that I can text to them?

My sister had mistakenly bought 2 efests from a vape shop & cousin is asking me about liitokala and others I have no idea about... I sent him the old chart I had and I traded my sister two of my vtc5a's for the efests but I'm not sure if all of that info on the old chart is still accurate, plus I know you've done many more.

Last edited:

madstabber

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Concoction Creating Cave
    Hey @Mooch, thanks for another great assessment, I was wondering, have a cousin, sister and brother in law who recently started vaping... do you have an updated image or pdf (one that'd be easy enough for a newcomer to understand) with all the new batteries you've tested that I can text to them?

My sister had mistakenly bought 2 efests from a vape shop & cousin is asking me about liitokala and others I have no idea about... I sent him the old chart I had and I traded my sister two of my vtc5a's for the efests but I'm not sure if all of that info on the old chart is still accurate, plus I know you've done many more.
    Hey I recently found this review site that's legit and test batteries and chargers and flashlights. It's lygte-dk .com or something like that. Just google lygte-dk and you'll find it but he does some in depth tests and reviews of the stuff we use so it's just another good source of information. You mentioned liitokala and I just ordered the liitokala 500 4-bay charger based on lygte's review and after all the tests it is supposed to be a quality charger especially for the money. I paid like $25 from fasttech which is an incredible value. It was between the 500 and opus 3100 charger and Both seem good but I went with the liitokala because it uses cc/cv to charge while the opus uses pulse which isn't as good to charge that way. That and the fact that people complained about the opus's fan being too loud and I don't want my charger to make any noise so the decision was easy. I hope this super long reply has helped you in some way. I know you weren't asking me but I figured I'd try to help anyway. Good luck helping the family make their battery decisions.

Reactions: kiba

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015

Check the tables that are in my blog, they're updated often. The link is in my signature.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread