Status
Not open for further replies.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
I have recently purchased a new charger and after much research decided on the D2 to get the job done. One thing I have noticed though and thought I'd ask the community is about voltages of batteries coming off the charger. My previous charger was one I have used for almost 3yrs now and when I took a battery off the charger is was a constant 4.25v, but with the D2 everything is coming off at 4.12-4.13v... Is this normal or did I get a bum charger? It was brand new and factory sealed... Anyone here that could share some input on this would be appreciated...

Ripshod

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2014
Goole, United Kingdom
It's normal. My D4 charges to 4.16 volts, but this soon drops to 4.12/4.13 when sat a few minutes. Your previous charger was actually overcharging. The specification is 4.2V, but for safety manufacturers like nightcore like to cut the charging slightly short to protect the batteries, rather than risk overcharging.

Last edited:

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
Today I did a little more searching on this and sent an email to Nitecore. I noticed earlier when I was getting ready to put a couple batteries in the charger the numbers didn't match as I checked both batteries with my DMM and an inline meter as well, and when I put them in the charger the voltages were different from what I had metered them out to... I feel at this point the charger is faulty...

Battery #1 DMM / 3.67v Inline meter / 3.67v D2 / 3.73v Diff = +.06

Battery #2 DMM / 3.89v Inline meter / 3.89v D2 / 3.97v Diff = +.08

Ripshod

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2014
Goole, United Kingdom
No I'm not. What I'm saying is the voltage you're seeing on the charger is the voltage needed to pass 375/750mA through the battery to charge it. Once the battery is fully charged you can make comparisons.

It's good that you know how to use a DMM, and that by comparison your inline meter and the DMM agree and appear accurate.

mmm, I've subscribed to this thread yet I'm getting no notifications.

Last edited:

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
I would be more concerned about any comparison at the end of the charge cycle. If the Nitecore is telling you 4.12 volts but a DMM reading is telling you 4.2 volts then it's kind of defeating the point of why you paid extra for the LCD display on the charger.

For what it's worth, my Xtar VP1 stops charging when the display reads 4.2 volts and the batteries also meter 4.2 volts on a DMM. No mysteries going on.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
I would be more concerned about any comparison at the end of the charge cycle. If the Nitecore is telling you 4.12 volts but a DMM reading is telling you 4.2 volts then it's kind of defeating the point of why you paid extra for the LCD display on the charger.

For what it's worth, my Xtar VP1 stops charging when the display reads 4.2 volts and the batteries also meter 4.2 volts on a DMM. No mysteries going on.

Just the opposite in my situation Rick. The Nitecore is saying 4.2v, but the DMM and inline says 4.12-4.13v... I am not getting the full potential out of my batteries with this charger. I have noticed it in vape time as well. I have lost on average of an hour per battery... I still haven't received an answer from Nitecore as yet but I am contacting the seller to return the charger...

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Just the opposite in my situation Rick. The Nitecore is saying 4.2v, but the DMM and inline says 4.12-4.13v... I am not getting the full potential out of my batteries with this charger. I have noticed it in vape time as well. I have lost on average of an hour per battery... I still haven't received an answer from Nitecore as yet but I am contacting the seller to return the charger...

Have a look at table #4 on this page. As you can see the number of charge cycles changes with charge voltage as well as the capacity and vape time. Personally I would not have a problem with 90% of the battery capacity and double the number of cycles. I actually do this with my model airplane batteries. But everyone has different priorities so YMMV :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread