Status
Not open for further replies.

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
It seems this Nitro I've been using gets better with age. I never thought I'd ever say this but I like it better than my beloved Fusions.

Nitromans_zps50f603a5.png

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
I'm thinking of replacing this Nitro that won't seem to die with another one. It's still good but I want to try one of the dual coils. The only wierd thing this one does is on a full tank it will get a dry burnt puff if I don't do a nonfired primer puff every other puff. It quits after the tank runs down a bit.

pyro12

ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2011
Pittsburgh
I need a little help; I got five 1.8 ohm and five 2.4 ohm Nitro No Fill(er)s last week. I randomly chose a 1.8 ohm to try first. I treated it like a Fusion, filling the tank, snapping the top down, removing the top, and snapping it down again. I started at 5 Watts because I read on here somewhere that you should "work up" to higher wattages. Of course, I didn't get much at 5 Watts, but I could taste the RY4 and assumed it was properly primed. I took it up to 6 watts and got some vapor and a decent throat hit (I tend to get this with a brand new Fusion as well - lasts an hour or two). Then, I took it up to 7 Watts and it tasted a bit burnt so I went back down to 6 watts, and that tasted burnt, too. The burnt tast keeps getting worse.

Is this just bad luck or do I need to do something else? I don't mind losing the one carto, but I don't want to lose any more. I have a Fusion on another rig I've been using while I try to force my way through the ocassional burnt hit off the Nitro (the tank is still 2/3 full!), but I'm convinced this carto is shot.

Edit: It just occurred to me to try the obvious and direct drip a few drops down onto the atty (no filler, afterall). I got three nice hits with just a hint of latent-burnt-taste and then it got bad again. So, is this a wicking problem?

Last edited:

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
I have this same problem with the 2.4. What I found is it only happens on a full tank until it gets down about a 1/3 or to the half way point then it starts working fine. I used 2 different tanks too. What I do now is give it a no fire primer puff before I take a puff. I don't get it with fusions but about once until I reach half way so I think the filler holds enough juice to keep it going untill the tank equalizes. I just give it 5 or 6 good hard puffs to rewet the filler when it happens. I also get it after I refill my tank so it has to do with the tank pressure and no filler to hold juice.
Also I'm using a 2.4 dual coil nitro and it has filler and this don't happen with those. It's only happened a few times with the Fusion and I've used a bunch of them. But it happens all the time with the no fills. I've gotten used to the primer puff every other puff until I reach the half tank.

Last edited:

Iken

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
PA,USA
You definitely do not want to use these like a Fusion, I think you may of scorched it Pyro, There is a small wick in them but don't remove it. Because of the design, we would follow the same method of not priming the carto, but this time when you fill the tank, don't remove and reapply the top cap. The ports are large enough to submerge the components. When the tank is filled and the cap is on and your not getting a vast amount of vapor try turning the carto upside down and let the excess roll out. You would have to do this upon refills also unless you use a different fill method, like raising the tank above the ports, then refilling, apply top cap then slide back down over the ports. Normally if your having issues, it just means there is flooding going on. Just turn it over and you should be totally fine.
Please let me know.

pyro12

ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2011
Pittsburgh
Tried a 2.4 ohm carto this time. After a full 24 hours I still can't consistently get a tasty hit at anything above 5.5 Watts. It's not the burnt taste like I had on the last one - it's more a metallic taste - but it isn't pleasant. I do take long pulls (it's not uncommon for the 5 second timeout to occur on me) and maybe that's the problem? I tried sliding the tank up 1/8 inch to leave a gap between the tank and the rig for more airflow, but I can't feel a difference. I'm assuming that means limiting factor for airflow is the holes on the carto and not the holes on my rig.

Two things I noticed:

1) I left it in a hot car for 30 minutes (presumeably heating up the air in the tank and increasing pressure). It worked PERFECTLY for about 15 minutes when I returned.

2) If I direct drip a couple drops, I get delicious io6 type hits even at higher wattages for a little bit.

3)Tried it on my trusty old Knightrider to make sure the Itazte wasn't flaking out and same results at about 4 volts. 4v X 4v / 2.6 ohm (Itazte reports it at 2.6) = 6.15 Watts so it's pretty much the same (especially since it doesn't have all that new-fangled voltage regulation and whatnot)

I know others are having great success with the nitros so I'm assuming it's something I'm doing or something with my setup. I'm not complaining so much as I'm looking for suggestions.

Also, I got a pack of the dual coils the first time Ike introduced the Nitros and didn't have any problems with them in the same setup.

Thanks for any suggestions

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
A few things actually. I used a drill to turn it with an adapter on the end so as not to mess up the threads. A tubing cutter. I first inserted a metal plug about a 1/2 inch into the end so the cutter didn't deform the metal tube as it cut. Then I cleaned up the cut end with a file and my dremmel. Every step has to be done with it turning or it would come out uneven.

Anarchy84

Jun 4, 2014
Milwaukee, WI
A few things actually. I used a drill to turn it with an adapter on the end so as not to mess up the threads. A tubing cutter. I first inserted a metal plug about a 1/2 inch into the end so the cutter didn't deform the metal tube as it cut. Then I cleaned up the cut end with a file and my dremmel. Every step has to be done with it turning or it would come out uneven.

Nice. The one time I tried to cut cartos (was mistakenly shipped XL cartos) they came out all jacked up. Sadly I don't have access to adequate tools.

Honestly, now that I've seen the Platinum revival testing has started, I probably wouldn't order many of these even if they were in standard size. It is intriguing, though.

all_in_ashes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2012
So Cal
I really wanted to like these no-filler cartos and picked up 10 of the last batch. But I could never get a satisfying hit off them. I would take primer puffs and get okay flavor and vapor, but it would quickly taste burnt. I kept trying though because I'm out of mega Fusions :(

It just seemed I couldn't get it to wick right in my Phiniac tank, which has really tight orings btw. So I was fiddling with my top cap thinking of maybe taking it off and pushing it back on to force in juice. I barely inserted a thumbnail under the cap and saw 4 bubbles float up. I took a puff expecting it to be flooded or still burnt tasting, but IT WAS PERFECT! I mean first draw on a mega fusion kinda perfect...moist dense vapor...and that first draw flavor on a perfectly primed fusion.

So I spent a day jiggling my top cap, if I did it more than 2-3 times I could flood the carto, but it cleared up fast. Sounds annoying but the flavor was so good, and I'm so out of Fusions I kept going. Then I thought...what do you do with a carto that's not wicking how you like? Punch more holes of course...so I put a 3rd hole level with the other two but between them with my trusty carto punch. She vapes like a charm now...consistent great flavor, great vapor and no flooding.

Has anyone else tried punching more holes in these? I vape a 50/50 menthol fruit flavor that's fairly easy on cartos. Cheers!

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
I really wanted to like these no-filler cartos and picked up 10 of the last batch. But I could never get a satisfying hit off them. I would take primer puffs and get okay flavor and vapor, but it would quickly taste burnt. I kept trying though because I'm out of mega Fusions :(

It just seemed I couldn't get it to wick right in my Phiniac tank, which has really tight orings btw. So I was fiddling with my top cap thinking of maybe taking it off and pushing it back on to force in juice. I barely inserted a thumbnail under the cap and saw 4 bubbles float up. I took a puff expecting it to be flooded or still burnt tasting, but IT WAS PERFECT! I mean first draw on a mega fusion kinda perfect...moist dense vapor...and that first draw flavor on a perfectly primed fusion.

So I spent a day jiggling my top cap, if I did it more than 2-3 times I could flood the carto, but it cleared up fast. Sounds annoying but the flavor was so good, and I'm so out of Fusions I kept going. Then I thought...what do you do with a carto that's not wicking how you like? Punch more holes of course...so I put a 3rd hole level with the other two but between them with my trusty carto punch. She vapes like a charm now...consistent great flavor, great vapor and no flooding.

Has anyone else tried punching more holes in these? I vape a 50/50 menthol fruit flavor that's fairly easy on cartos. Cheers!
They aren't very good at first but they keep getting better and better with use and it is worth it. Don't know about the 2 holes with the no fill the one hole is huge. The dual coil with filler you might try a second hole but I don't believe the fillerless nitro would work.

Last edited:

all_in_ashes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2012
So Cal
They aren't very good at first but they keep getting better and better with use and it is worth it. Don't know about the 2 holes with the no fill the one hole is huge. The dual coil with filler you might try a second hole but I don't believe the fillerless nitro would work.

I didn't think it would work either...but it's doing pretty good. I think it was more of a pressure thing...if I had a tank with a port I could probably have just loosened that and not had to punch the hole.

Edit: Only thing I noticed is I seem to be getting a bit of juice condensation forming in the tube around the chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread