Status
Not open for further replies.

xCamelUser

ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2009
Jersey Shore
www.rjponzio.com
Not allowed to post links yet...

www (dot) app (dot) com/article/20091210/NEWS03/91210098/NJ-Senate-passes-bill-to-restrict-e-cigarettes

The Senate bill, approved Thursday by a 38-0 vote, prohibits their use in public places and workplaces.
U.S. Sen. Frank Lautenberg has called on the federal Food and Drug Administration to remove e-cigarettes from the market.
This is insane, how can I live in a state run by such .........

Apophis

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
Chulak
[/quote]This is insane, how can I live in a state run by such .........[/quote]

This is by far the worst state in the union because of all the crap we have to deael with. And besides Corzine, U.S. Sen. Frank Lautenberg is the biggest jerk around. None of these polititians have any clue nor do they even care. It makes me sick. We'd all be better off in Bum Idaho.

I'm still vaping! SCREW THIS STATE AND ALL THE ASSES THAT RUN IT!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm from Seaside Heights, NJ myself... and I still vape in bars and resturaunts because the public does't really have any real knowledge yet about the law passed, and electronic cigarettes in general. Try it, you'll probably get away with it

As for the law, i think it is rediculous. They were to quick to pass the law without doing ANY sort of study on them.

xCamelUser

ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2009
Jersey Shore
www.rjponzio.com
I work in Toms River and my boss lets me vape at my desk. I agree though, it's easy to get away with. Most people just think I am biting on a pen when they see me, I just hold it in long enough so nothing visible comes out.

I also found that referring to it as an electronic nicotine inhaler gets a much better response. It's pretty silly really, If it wasnt for the word "cigarette" in the name and the "smoke" looking vapor, nobody would even care what it was.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
This is insane, how can I live in a state run by such .........[/quote]

This is by far the xxxxtiest state in the union because of all the crap we have to deael with. And besides Corzine, U.S. Sen. Frank Lautenberg is the biggest xxxx around 8-o. None of these polititians have any clue nor do they even care. It makes me sick. We'd all be better off in Bum...... Idaho.

I'm still vaping! SCREW THIS STATE AND ALL THE ASSES THAT RUN IT![/QUOTE]

Dude, don't get all stressed out! Didn't you see the news coverage last night about stress causing cancer? Being from NJ, you better see your doctor and get yourself one of those new fangled prescriptions for medical marijuana.

Not sure if it'll help your lungs much, but you'll reduce stress, have a smile on your face and a reason to lay back and munch out.

You have to love New Jersey.

Raenon

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
so will NJ repeal this law now?

Very unlikely to do so on it's own, but if a few concerned citizens start writing to the press about it, and a few more to their representatives... and a few suppliers start grumbling about the bill being passed under false pretenses.. You're more likely to see some movement :)

ChipCurtis

ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2009
so will NJ repeal this law now?

Unfortunately, the NJ law doesn't have anything to do with the banning of importation, distribution, advertising and sales. It is specifically for the banning of e-cigs in enclosed spaces and public properties. Two different issues altogether. I don't think one can argue in court that just because the e-cig is now legal for sale and distribution nationwide, that NJ now has to allow vaping in public spaces and enclosed buildings. That's a local state battle to be waged separately.

As was mentioned in the main FDA Docket thread, individual state Attorney Generals and state legislatures are now going to speed up the process of getting their own laws and bans put in place. That's unfortunately the downside of a victory at the federal level: it wakes up the local anti-smoking lobbyist groups even more and gets their underwear all in a bunch. The anti's are even angrier now and this group will just not stop fighting their 'moral' fight. The war definitely ain't over yet.

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
Very unlikely to do so on it's own, but if a few concerned citizens start writing to the press about it, and a few more to their representatives... and a few suppliers start grumbling about the bill being passed under false pretenses.. You're more likely to see some movement :)

Support CASAA---they are going to fight and work like the devil to improve the anti's impressions.

Skwerl

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Peoples Republic of NJ
Sadly we are cursed with the ....... child of Chicago way politics and Tammany hall cronyism....and taxes, lots of taxes.
I write, fax and email these blathering nimrods every week or so on many subjects including this one. What I have learned is they don't care. About you, me, the guy down the street. They only care about getting re-elected and fattening their wallets. It matters not what party either- they're all bums once they enter the hallowed echo chambers of rarefied air that is Trenton.

I hope they all get covered in cold sores and made to swim a sea of urine, salt water and lemon juice. Jerks.

/rant.
Thank you for your patience, I have been holding that in far too long.

420GypsyGirl

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2010
Near a beach in a desert.
BTW if you look at New Jersey's tax revenue for cigarettes, you'd see that it has been on a decline for the past few years. They count of the taxes to help bad their coffers and though they kep raising the taxes the revenue keeps going down and down. I think the reason this ..... had this bill passed is because he knows that if it catches on New Jersey can kiss theirtax revenues from cigarettes good bye.

ChipCurtis

ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2009
but the ban was largly based on the fact that SE and FDA were in court.

I don't think Gordon and Vitale put this bill into motion just because two e-cig companies were in court. Probably it was based on 2 principal things: loss of NJ cig-tax revenue, and pressure from anti's to ban anything that looks like smoking. (I'll bet the 2 state senators didn't even catch on to point #1, they're probably that dumb... probably just public pressure alone).

It didn't take a lot of "lawyering-up" for NJ lawmakers to simply alter wording in the bill at the last moment. They didn't even bother to include e-cigs in a separate amendment, with all kinds of scientific or legal justification for it. They just panicked at the last moment and simply added the phrase "electronic cigarettes" to the list of banned tobacco-product items. Based on that, the whole bill could conceivably get tossed out in its entirety.

Even so, none of this had anything to do with the state of e-cigs being legal or illegal, or being a tobacco-based or pharmacy-based product. They weren't illegal then, and they certainly aren't illegal now. Any state can create a law to ban certain things from being used in public spaces, even if that law makes no sense. (i.e. there's the nonsense going on with the VA Dept of Health trying to interpret state law to include e-cigs. At least there, the fight is not as tough because the state law doesn't even mention e-cigs.)

Yes, it's going to take another lawsuit like the ones SE and NJOY crafted to put the nails into the NJ law's coffin. But do remember that NJ and VA positions are based on banning the e-cig in public spaces, not banning them altogether (i.e. made illegal).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread