Status
Not open for further replies.

cobalt327

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2012
USA
Found some cheap Amazon 1/8" x 1/8" neo magnets (~$8.00 for 50), I used 4 of them to do the battery door of my dna 30 clone. Magnets are held in place by quick setting JB Weld, no drilling required. The screws are from my parts bin, they're black where the originals were silver. I snipped the threads off and used the same adhesive to hold them in place on the door. I used a dremel to remove the finish on the inside of the door (this probably wasn't necessary) to help the epoxy get a grip then used a Sharpie to cover the bare metal (instead of a Sharpie it could be done better using an airbrush but I didn't take the time to set it up).

dna1.jpg dna2.jpg dna4.jpg

cobalt327

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2012
USA
That's a good deal and all but I still have 46 magnets to go (a lifetime's worth, in other words) and spent only a dollar more. Otherwise, about 6 of one and a half dozen of the other...:D BTW, did you put anything in the empty screw holes of the battery door? Got photos? I always enjoy ingenuity at work.

Last edited:

cobalt327

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2012
USA
Something I found w/JB is it's magnetic! It will get on the top surface where you don't want it if you're not careful. I apply the JB Kwik to the mod, then let it set up for just a bit before placing the magnet to keep it from migrating. It will wipe off the magnet if it's still wet, just be sure the magnet placement isn't lost in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread