No Leak Tanks for Vape-smokers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevesquared

Verified Member
Feb 12, 2017
Hey Forum,

Ex-smoker here that drags hard with tight draw at low wattage (not a cloud chaser obviously).

All tanks leak more this way if you vape-smoke like I do and I hate leaks. Also travel a lot so sick of the mess every time I get off a plane.

I tried the CL4 tank because I could switch the 510 wide bore with a tighter draw tip. Bottom line it was a disaster because hitting it hard with a tight draw at low wattage resulted in the coil flooding (a lot of hiss, but no vapor) after a few draws, even on the MTL 1.5ohm coil.

Anyone in a similar situation have success with any of the leakless, top airflow tanks out there?

LMK and thanks!

Reactions: David Wolf

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
Changing altitude does that for me. Airplanes are not perfect, nor quick, when it comes to adjusting the air-pressure. I close my juice flow. I leave my air-flow open to help the pressure adjust. In my carry-on knapsack I have a few alcohol prep-pads. I don't know how much it helps, but I get less of an issue.

When I lived in AZ, I lived on a Sky Island and driving up and down affected it, if I didn't close the topper, but not as much as flying in an airplane.

BTW, vapers don't smoke.

Last edited:

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
Tanks use the suction created when you take a toot to pull juice up into the juice well. It's a fine balance between too much and too little. In your case, you're creating a lot of suction and pulling too much juice. They're not really designed to be used like that. Probably your best bet is to vape max VG juices and choke off the flow. A lot of tanks have a flow control on them and if you crack open the flow control you can constrict the amount of juice. It's also a good idea to close the flow control when getting onto a plane.

Reactions: Stevesquared

Stevesquared

Verified Member
Feb 12, 2017
Changing altitude does that for me. Airplanes are not perfect, nor quick, when it comes to adjusting the air-pressure. I close my juice flow. I leave my air-flow open to help the pressure adjust. In my carry-on knapsack I have a few alcohol prep-pads. I don't know how much it helps, but I get less of an issue.

When I lived in AZ, I lived on a Sky Island and driving up and down affected it, if I didn't close the topper, but not as much as flying in an airplane.

BTW, vapers don't smoke.

Thanks! Yeah, I invented that vape-smoker thing just to illustrate I'm the opposite of a "cloud chaser" I vape like I used to smoke. I've just talked to some sub-ohmers that say the CL4 works great for them, but I don't think any of them (nautilus X, cubis) with the bottom bowl will work and better. I've seen some RBAs with top air flow, bottom bowl design, but I don't want to go back to building. Thanks again!

Stevesquared

Verified Member
Feb 12, 2017
Tanks use the suction created when you take a toot to pull juice up into the juice well. It's a fine balance between too much and too little. In your case, you're creating a lot of suction and pulling too much juice. They're not really designed to be used like that. Probably your best bet is to vape max VG juices and choke off the flow. A lot of tanks have a flow control on them and if you crack open the flow control you can constrict the amount of juice. It's also a good idea to close the flow control when getting onto a plane.

Thanks, yeah, I'm generally OK with the Aerotank line and 50/50 juices. Solid + cheap coils that I get a few weeks mileage out of. Leaking isn't terrible by any means, but for example, Nautilus, Tritons leak like a sieve and occasionally flood the way I vape no matter how I adjust them. I think the low wattage makes them runny too as opposed to just going into deep fry mode and turning everything to instant vapor. Appreciate the input!

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Hey Forum,

Ex-smoker here that drags hard with tight draw at low wattage (not a cloud chaser obviously).

All tanks leak more this way if you vape-smoke like I do and I hate leaks. Also travel a lot so sick of the mess every time I get off a plane.

I tried the CL4 tank because I could switch the 510 wide bore with a tighter draw tip. Bottom line it was a disaster because hitting it hard with a tight draw at low wattage resulted in the coil flooding (a lot of hiss, but no vapor) after a few draws, even on the MTL 1.5ohm coil.

Anyone in a similar situation have success with any of the leakless, top airflow tanks out there?

LMK and thanks!
Nautilus Mini or Triton Mini. Never had a leak from either at low power and tight draw. Are you sure you're not talking about dry hits where your drag drys out the coil and you get a burnt hit?

Stevesquared

Verified Member
Feb 12, 2017
Nautilus Mini or Triton Mini. Never had a leak from either at low power and tight draw. Are you sure you're not talking about dry hits where your drag drys out the coil and you get a burnt hit?

Thanks for the input! No, I'm talking leaking puddles out of the airflow and when they flood, getting the hiss, but no vapor. I'd get dry hits too, more from the Nautilus and with a new coil in the Triton it was dry for a day or two, but either the coils saturate too fast that they leak or they just crap out past their useful life w/ my juices which are mostly 50/50.

Thanks again for the input!

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Thanks for the input! No, I'm talking leaking puddles out of the airflow and when they flood, getting the hiss, but no vapor. I'd get dry hits too, more from the Nautilus and with a new coil in the Triton it was dry for a day or two, but either the coils saturate too fast that they leak or they just crap out past their useful life w/ my juices which are mostly 50/50.

Thanks again for the input!
Ok I see. I find after about theee days my nautilus coils get a little gunky taste and gurgle more due to oversaturation and so I replace the coil. Other times if I get a gurgling sound I just turn up the watts he for a few puffs and it's good again. No leaks operating like that for me. Also I've learned to let off the fire button before I stop my draw, stops backflow down the chimney.

Stevesquared

Verified Member
Feb 12, 2017
Ok I see. I find after about theee days my nautilus coils get a little gunky taste and gurgle more due to oversaturation and so I replace the coil. Other times if I get a gurgling sound I just turn up the watts he for a few puffs and it's good again. No leaks operating like that for me. Also I've learned to let off the fire button before I stop my draw, stops backflow down the chimney.

Awesome thanks. I probably am a bit of a lead-finger on the gas pedal, but I think its rare I fire for more than 4-5 secs. It's weird at this point because whatever I do is all just second nature. I'll try experimenting. Thanks again!

Reactions: David Wolf

Stevesquared

Verified Member
Feb 12, 2017
When flying if it's a bottom coil tank turn them upside down till you land in like a vape carry case inside your carry on positioned upright works for me. Kanger subtanks are good you can get 1.5 ohm coils they have a tight draw.

Cool, thanks much for the input. I'll experiment. Usually though I position them in my laptop bag, but upright becomes on its side under the seat, etc. I'm usually racing around too, so I'm just happy when I don't leave them in the rental car :).

Acemyles2.5i

Verified Member
Sep 25, 2016
Florida
I used a nautilus mini for a little over a year with no leaking issues, i use a triton mini now and have had no leaking problems either. The triton mini just has a better airflow adjudtment to me, it can be as restrictive as the naut mini and if you open it up you can get a much airier draw for using the subohm or clapton coils. It does gurgle upon refill, but if you hold it upside down for a few seconds then close off the juice flow it minimizes it.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
When flying if it's a bottom coil tank turn them upside down till you land in like a vape carry case inside your carry on positioned upright works for me. Kanger subtanks are good you can get 1.5 ohm coils they have a tight draw.

It all depends. I've taken a Plato AIO and a Triton mini on something on a plane, even stealth vaped in the bathroom, and never had either leak, and they're both bottom air.

Reactions: matcas

Vesh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2017
Hey Forum,

LMK and thanks!
nautilus x never leaks, nautilus 2 won't leak either, smok brit mini has zero leaks of any kind :)
All MTL tanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread