no more concern about vaping artificial colors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flitzanu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Tulsa, OK, U.S.A.
www.myspace.com
i've been out of the DIY liquid posts for a while, but i see a lot of people are using the Lorann flavors that include colorings, like the reds and blues. has this just been that enough people are using them with no apparent harm that it's becoming a non-issue, or are these folks just brave or what?

i saw that post on the blueberry cheesecake...and omg, that's my favorite cheesecake ever. but seeing that blueberry has color in it, i'd been hesitant to try it.

scintar

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Pinellas Park FL
Now that blue would really confuse the coroner. I prefer the pinks and reds for a more natural glow!
Hmmmm, That's pretty funny lol. Im really not to sure about the colorings tho. I would try to avoid doing any vaping any colors on a continuous basis. dessert like blueberry cheesecake, That sound too good not to try. :D

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
Hmmmm, That's pretty funny lol. Im really not to sure about the colorings tho. I would try to avoid doing any vaping any colors on a continuous basis. Dessert like blueberry cheesecake, That sound too good not to try. :D

I can honestly say that just about every juice I use has artificial colors in it. There's never been any empirical evidence that they were bad... just an assumption that a lot of people have latched onto. Months & months of constant (and I mean damn near continuous) vaping of these has not caused me any problems... for my health or my atomizers. Long term? Who knows. But the same could be said (and has been said) about vaping in general.

scintar

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Pinellas Park FL
I can honestly say that just about every juice I use has artificial colors in it. There's never been any empirical evidence that they were bad... just an assumption that a lot of people have latched onto. Months & months of constant (and I mean damn near continuous) vaping of these has not caused me any problems... for my health or my atomizers. Long term? Who knows. But the same could be said (and has been said) about vaping in general.
We all know you are vaping the colors crazy man LOL. Haven't you noticed your mustach growing a little more than usual LOL. I been checking out your flavor and estimated concontions. Some look real good.

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran

I agree it's not something to panic about.

However, I would hope juice manufacturers will do more to avoid unnecessary ingredients and either search out or request from their suppliers flavorings that fully evaporate with no dry residue. With volumes going up, this should be economically feasible. Indeed, the first juice supplier to offer juices that 'leave no deposit in your atomizer' can expect a sales boost (till the others catch up).

Once the demand is there, diy flavors designed for vaping rather than food will hopefully become available.

In the meantime, avoid colors and juices/flavorings with an obvious deposit-forming nature (e.g. caramel) if you wish; but don't panic!

To be clear: i'm not saying it's safe; but we should keep it in perspective. At the same time, we can push to have purer juices. We also should avoid handing the regulators any amunition.

ps: but if your hair starts turning blue or pink, you might be overdoing it ;)

Last edited:

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
In the meantime, avoid colors and juices/flavorings with an obvious deposit-forming nature (e.g. caramel) if you wish; but don't panic!

Interesting and ironic fact: Although many of Lorann's flavorings use caramel coloring, the Caramel flavoring does not. It is only artificial flavors, water, and PG.

Elle

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Orange County, CA
i'm the blueberry cheesecake girl- and i haven't had any problems (that i know of :D ). something also to keep in mind is that the blueberry (the way i mix it anyhow) is the ingredient i include the least of; not because of coloring concerns but because i prefer cheesecake w/ a hint of blueberry rather than the other way around. and with the other elements in the mix (cheesecake flavor, pg, flavorless eliquid, vg) it dials down the amount of coloring in the mix significantly.

i myself am not too concerned about it :)

MonkeyMonk

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
Before using any flavoring with colors, I would at least suggest a quick google of the particular color/dye in the flavoring that you are considering.

Personally, I think the FDA has fallen-down on the job that it was intended to do, and, thus, I am leary of dyes/colors in general, without a personal research on the specific dye/coloring. I think some bad ones have flown under the radar and are on the market when they shouldn't be...

To do a google on a particular dye/coloring would only take maybe 2hr. total time and would either give you a little more peace of mind or assist you in selecting a different flavor.

Dyes/Colorings has always been my concern in the commercial liquids... If I cannot find a Bananna without coloring, then how are the manufacturers finding one? ...Because sometimes the dyes/colorings are added to bring stability to the flavoring.

Any rate, I haven't had time to personally research colorings and my fear of them dates way back to when my daughter was placed on a super restrictive diet of pretty much that she could only have/eat something if it was available in the same form as it was in the Garden of Eden. The diet was so restrictive we had to see a nutritionist to obtain a food list ... Back then, is when we were cautioned about bad dyes/coloring being on the market... but, honestly, I forgot everything that was told to us at the time. So, I would just do some personal research before I placed my health at possible risk.

MonkeyMonk

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
Red 40 links:
Allura Red AC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Allura Red AC may cause an adverse reaction in the small number of people with an aspirin intolerance or allergy, manifesting itself as a skin rash (urticaria) and/or nausea.[citation needed] In some people, even those with no other known allergies, Allura Red AC can cause severe urticaria, difficulty breathing, and even anaphylaxis (shock).

FD&C Red Dye #40 Information, Education and Discussion (in the left margin bar there is a link for "other dyes")

Watts Up With That?: The Red 40 Menace
(sub-link: Teachers.Net Gazette April 2003 - BETH BRUNO: EFFECTS OF RED FOOD DYE ON CHILDREN - ASK THE SCHOOL PSYCHOLOGIST - Teachers.Net Gazette - MENTORING, STRESS RELIEF, STUDENT MOTIVATION, ORGANIZATION IDEAS, CLASSROOM MANAGEMENT, LESSON PLANS, DISCIPLINE,)

Blue 1 links:
Brilliant Blue FCF - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Health and safety
Brilliant Blue FCF has previously been banned in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Norway, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland among others but has been certified as a safe food additive in the EU and is today unbanned in most of the countries.[citation needed] It has the capacity for inducing an allergic reaction in individuals with pre-existing moderate asthma[3].[citation needed] In the United States production exceeds 1 million pounds annually, and daily consumption is around 16 mg per person.[citation needed]

It, or an item (such as Powerade) listing it as an ingredient, is often used in niche and college markets as a cure-all, specifically used to cure hangovers and mild colds.[citation testing, the National Institutes of Health concluded that color additives do not cause hyperactivity.[4]

Ventolin, Serevent, Flovent Diskus recall; Blue dye test: toxicities include blue discoloration and death -- Wooltorton 170 (1): 43 -- Canadian Medical Association Journal
Blue dye test: toxicities include blue discoloration and death

The dye FD&C Blue No. 1 (Blue 1; triphenylmethane) is sometimes added to enteral feeding solutions of critically ill patients to detect pulmonary aspiration. However, serious outcomes have been reported in some patients undergoing such tests. The FDA recently issued a warning that the test may result in rare but serious toxic effects, including blue–green discoloration of the skin and bodily fluids, refractory hypotension, metabolic acidosis and death.3

Blue 1 is a water-soluble dye used in a variety of foods and drugs because it is relatively nontoxic and poorly absorbed systemically at daily doses in the range of 12 mg/kg body weight.3 Unfortunately, many critically ill patients may have altered gastrointestinal permeability, in which case more of the dye would be absorbed systemically. In vitro the dye causes mitochondrial toxicity, which may be the mechanism behind many of the serious reported adverse effects.

Certain critically ill patients with altered gut permeability, such as those with sepsis, burns, shock, trauma, surgical interventions, renal failure, celiac sprue or inflammatory bowel disease, may be at increased risk of toxic effects from the blue dye test. The practicality and safety of different tests (e.g., glucose monitoring in secretions) and other blue dyes (methylene blue and FD&C Blue No. 2) is not yet clear.

FDA Food Color Facts:
FDA/CFSAN Food Color Facts

A very interesting article, after the initial paragraph:
C&EN: WHAT'S THAT STUFF? - FOOD COLORING

Last edited:

MonkeyMonk

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
I skimmed the above links and this gives an example of why each of us needs to research the colorings/dyes that we are considering. For instance, a person with aspirin intolerance, then definitely NO red 40; Or a person with asthma, then NO blue 1.

Personally, Blue 1, IMHO, should be completely avoided by everyone in their vapin mixtures considering that last link about blue 40. But, that is me, and not necessarily you... We each have to assess the literature on our own and not be "sheeple".

With flavorings, it might be worhwhile doing a skin test before vaping use, by applying a very small dab to the skin and checking for a reaction - that might occur any time from a minute to 24 hours later. Wash off very thoroughly at first sign of any irritaton, redness etc.

NEVER DO THIS WITH A JUICE CONTAINING NICOTINE.

ps: if there is not already a table somewhere that grups colours (and perhaps flavors too) into 'widely accepted as safe' and 'safety disputed or possibly unsafe for people with x,y,z', perhaps we can make a sticky to keep this info updated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread