Travel and Vaping No Vaping on a plane!!!!????

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfdpl686

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2010
New York
www.flickr.com
FYI,

Vapor WILL set off smoke alarms on planes...See an old Post by Cash (Puresmoker).

Best - Mr.e

I’m sorry, not necessarily true (no disrespect to you or Cash).
There are many types of smoke detectors. The most common working principles are photoelectric and ionic. The first one “sees” the smoke; the particles get into a chamber and “obscure” the path of light. The later “smells” the smoke; it contains a radioactive ionizing material and when the particles enter the chamber, the electrons removed from the air cannot continue the electric current creating an alarm.
More likely a photoelectric detector won’t be triggered by vapor but an Ionic could. There is no way to know the type seeing the casing. As far as I know, old planes have photoelectric detectors but newer ones could even have “early smoke detection” (which certainly will detect vapor) or the latest “particle detection” technology which won’t be triggered by vapor.

Now, some smoke detectors have a thermal component, and can sense raise or change in temperature; if the detectors have a really small delta, then certainly they could be triggered by vapor.

To be safe, I prefer to stealth at my seat…

The SchwanTZ

Apr 15, 2010
here & there!
I recently flew DELTA from Atlanta to Sydney (March 2010) - I decided NOT to take my e-cigs on-board mainly because I didn't want to go through the hassle of explaining myself at the security checkpoints.

The Delta passenger info card now clearly states that it is a federal offence to smoke on the plane INCLUDING "electronic cigarette devices".

I chatted with the flight attendant during the flight and she said that they HAD been advised/trained as to what e-cigs are and to keep a lookout for dodgey vapers!!!

From her explanation, they're more worried about batteries exploding AND analog smokers getting frisky and lighting up when they see a vaper.

I was really surprised at her knowledge!

So...if u plan to go to Australia - fly Qantas! - They're ......ed and wouldn't know an e-cig if it smacked them on the side of the head!

PTJD

Vaping At FL370
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2008
Malaga, Spain
Damn I hope this is just a scare tactic by delta so people don't complain, this would suck if it's actually true.

Nothing new guys! Most airlines post this in the infilght mag.
This is from AA last July.

ptjd-albums-tsa-picture2014-aa-mag.jpg

The SchwanTZ

Apr 15, 2010
here & there!
I had a look for a copy of the in-flight mag but I think i gave it away when in got here (AUS). A quick look on the delta website though has this to say:

"It's never been so cool to be a geek but there's a few things you'll need to know about operating your gadgets on board our planes. Your flight crew will remind you again, but it's always good to know ahead of time.

While these are good general guidelines, remember that the flight crew may, at any time, ask you to turn off a portable electronic device for safety reasons.

For safety reasons, you may not operate the following devices onboard:

* Two-way transmitters such as walkie-talkies, amateur radios, citizen band (CB) radios, 49 MHz transmitters
* Devices designed to radiate radio frequency energy on specific frequencies
* Peripheral devices for computers or games connected by cable
* AM/FM radios
* Portable television sets
* Remote control toys
* Bluetooth-enabled devices
* Personal Air Purifiers
* Smokeless cigarette/cigar/pipe devices"

I distinctly remember the phrase "smoking is a federal offence...including electronic cigarettes"

Delta In-flight Information about Portable Electronic Devices

I'm flying back on delta in 4 weeks...I'll take a pic!

ThaVaporz

Apr 7, 2010
City of Angels
JUST FOUND IT!!!

Page 146 of the APRIL 2010 edition of Delta's SKY magazine.

http://msp.imirus.com/Mpowered/imirus.jsp?volume=ds10&issue=4&page=0

just type in "cigarette" in the search bar

And I quote - "Smoking and use of smokeless tobacco (including e-cigarettes/pipes) are not permitted on any Delta flight.

BUGGER!!!

Hey Schwantz I see that they at least privately ban the use of smokeless tobacco, but im wondering if like just what the attendant told you, if smoking an e-cig on a plane is a federal offense. There's a big difference between that and the airplane simply banning them. A jail time difference:p

Unfortunatelly, this is a prime example of uninformed flight attendants that are speaking out of their a**!

When we cabin crew are working 6 miles above the ground in confined spaces, some (Not myself) like to tack on "Its a federal offense" to anything they tell you because most travelers are uninformed. With that said, federal or not... not adhering to a flight crews requests can get you in some serious trouble. Its somewhat of a double edged sword.

Be smart about your decisions while vaping on aircraft! Especially while in the lav.... those detectors WILL go off, but it takes a large amount of vapor or vapor directly near the detector to do so. The best advice I can give you, is go stealth... but if a flight attendant asks you to stop, then do so for the rest of the flight. Continuing to vape after you had a warning is going to create one hell of a mess! So If you are going to stealth, just be damn careful that you arent caught the first time. :)

Happy vaping and safe travels!
RIAFlight25

I don't think the bathroom detector would go off its made to detect smoke. I was wondering if you are even alout to bring them on the plane?

Its hard to explain, but yes they will go off if the vapor gets near the sensor. They are VERY sensitive, and can even go off if someone in the lavatory uses too much hairspray, body spray, perfume, etc....

I deal with those things on a daily basis on the aircraft I fly on... all large 250+ seater jets.

Safe Travels,
RIAFlight25

PTJD

Vaping At FL370
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2008
Malaga, Spain
Its hard to explain, but yes they will go off if the vapor gets near the sensor. They are VERY sensitive, and can even go off if someone in the lavatory uses too much hairspray, body spray, perfume, etc....

I deal with those things on a daily basis on the aircraft I fly on... all large 250+ seater jets.

Safe Travels,
RIAFlight25

Hey RIA! How goes it? You gonna be anywhere near Madrid the first week of May?

telsie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2009
Maryland
JUST FOUND IT!!!

Page 146 of the APRIL 2010 edition of Delta's SKY magazine.

http://msp.imirus.com/Mpowered/imirus.jsp?volume=ds10&issue=4&page=0

just type in "cigarette" in the search bar

And I quote - "Smoking and use of smokeless tobacco (including e-cigarettes/pipes) are not permitted on any Delta flight.

No smokeless tobacco?! So that means that on Delta, you're not even allowed to use snus or snuff or dissolvables. Thats completely insane (also completely unenforceable :D).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread