Noalox and why we use it on mechanical mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skenzer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2013
West MI
Just ran across this thread, interesting stuff! I'm curious, does anybody use Noalox directly on the pins themselves? Like the 510 pin or the bottom button pin? I've only ever used it on my mod threads so far, not sure what it does for voltage drop but it sure makes them nice and smooooooth. :) Also, any idea if it would be harmful to put on gold plated pins?
Thanks

Skenzer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2013
West MI
Yes it's fine to use Noalox on the contact points. Key thing though is not to use it anywhere it could come in contact with juice. So I would avoid using it on the top of the 510 pin just in case your device pulls air from the bottom.

Got it, thanks!
I just picked up some DeoXit as well. I've read a lot of positive things about Deoxit vs Noalox. I'm a Noalox user but figured I'd give Deoxit a try. One thing I noticed right away, good or bad is up to you, that Deoxit is not as messy to use and it doesn't make the threads spin less freely. (I hope I'm making sense). I've noticed with Noalox that after applying it, screwing the sections of my mod's tubing is smoother but certainly slower as you can't just "spin" them together.
I actually kind of liked it that way myself...made the threads feel smoother but at the same time, this DeoXit is a lubricant as well as a conditioner. And, it is made specifically for electrical purposes. To make contacts better and prevent corrosion.

Skenzer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2013
West MI
I received this comment back from an Ideal customer service rep. I basically asked what metals Noalox works effectively on and if it's bad to use on any metals.

Sounds like it's certainly best with Copper and Aluminum but who knows with other metals.

Noalox is an anti oxidation and conductivity product, not a lubricant. It should be fine on most other metals although it may not inhibit tarnish on brass, and may not have the same kind of benefits with other metals as it does with copper and aluminum.

Regards,

Tim Schulz
Customer Service Coordinator

IDEAL Customer Service
800-435-0705
contactus@idealindustries.com
Visit our Customer Portal: https://www.idealindustries.com/custex/start.action

JohnnyDill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Uranus
I just discovered Noalox and the difference it makes is astounding. I have two DIY "Reo" style bottom feeders with a brass contact switch. I bit of Noalox on the contact and the battery positive makes it work strong, and just as important, consistent! A 0.5 oz tube of this will last forever and cost less than $3.00.... Great product. :D

Skenzer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2013
West MI
I hate to rain on this parade but I contacted Ideal, the makers of Noalox and had a discussion with one of their customer service reps regarding Noalox and the use of it on materials used in our mech mods. Basically, according to the CS rep, Noalox is useless when used on most mechanical mods. The only time it really does much good at all is if the mod is made of aluminum and applied to threads where aluminum comes in contact with aluminum. Otherwise, it is NOT a lubricant or grease of any kind nor does it encourage better electrical conductivity between other metals.
I know this is going to upset some people and I'm certain some will swear that it is super awesome and makes a huge difference. Heck, I used to use it as well and could swear by it. But then, after speaking to Ideal and doing some unscientific testing it became apparent that Noalox on the majority of mech mods does absolutely nothing.
I'm not telling anyone not to use it. Go ahead and use it if you really believe it helps. I'm just letting you know what the rep from Ideal told me and my personal experience.
Here's what is going to produce the best performance for your mech mods:

1) Keeping everything CLEAN. The cleaner the better
2) If you want to use some type of grease or "enhancer" try using Permatex Dielectric Grease. At least you will be using a product that is actually designed for what you're trying to achieve.

The benefits of Noalox has been a myth propagated in the vaping community for quite some time now. I believe it started when some mod manufacturer included some with their mod when you purchased it. Ever since, everybody and their brother believe that it is a miracle additive.

Don't believe me? That's ok, it won't hurt my feelings. Do your own research. Contact Ideal Corp like I did and ask them about Noalox and what it's used for and what benefits it provides under what conditions and with what materials. I personally have NEVER had Noalox make any kind of difference in my vaping experience. If it did, i would use it no matter what Ideal Corp told me it was for. But since I can't tell a difference with or without it and my observations were confirmed by discussing it with Ideal then I'm confident in saying that it's nothing more then hype.

Last edited:

PapaSloth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2014
Portland, OR, USA
I also just read this article:
Dielectric Grease Vs. Conductive Grease
My takeaway from that article is that at the voltages and currents we're talking about, there's really no difference between using a conductive grease like Noalox and a dielectric grease like Permatex. I just rebuilt both of my 2six clones using Permatex on all of the threads and connection points, and both seem to be working much better than when they had no grease at all.

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
Apologies for bumping an old thread here, but can anyone tell me if theres a reason not to use graphite?

It seems to be to be the better option as it's dry and also conductive

It will technically work, but I wouldn't with the dry stuff, as it would look very messy. And it's *conductive, so you have to know where your putting it, it could potentially short out your firing switch, just letting you know :). It'd probably be awesome for the tube threads though.

Hope this helps!

ScoobSnack

Unregistered Supplier
Dec 8, 2014
Los Angeles
www.facebook.com
  • Deleted by DreamWithin
  • Reason: affiliate links

Canno

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2014
SE Tennessee, USA
I'm no expert on mechanical mods, but I am an old electrician. I can tell you that many times when you join two different metals together, funny things, can happen. When copper and aluminum are joined under a lug or whatever with no prepping, you can bet that somewhere down the road that connection is going to oxidize or corrode and you ARE going to have trouble. Noalox is not a grease. It does help prevent oxidation and enhance conductivity.

Reactions: rangerrobin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread