Status
Not open for further replies.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Did a first build on the NoGain I just got in the wee's tonight. It's been about 2 years since I've used mesh builds, so I'm probably pretty rusty with it. I know at least a couple of folks here has a NoGain that maybe can toss me some clues.

First observations: For me to really use this atty for my LDLH's I'd have to open up the air intake. I don't get clouds of vapor as it is. Another, the atty gets hot quite fast. Not good, can overheat the joose trapped in the deep well/cotton batting by its design (the squonk holes are small, about half way up the long positive post).

First build is 400X400 mesh, 28ga Ni80 ugly coil netting .51 ohms. As I said I don't get clouds of vaper with the small air intake. It ramps up pretty fast but flavor with this 100% VG joose is nothing to write home to momma about. I run this same joose in other atty's with similar chamber sizes in the .4-.8 range. Low to mid for single and duals, mid to higher end for high center parallels and get great flavor from all of them. But those atty's also have ample AFC's for my LDLH's and produce clouds of flavor rich vapor.

I don't want to open up the air intake until I know if I am going to keep this atty. I guess I need to slow down the ramp up with a higher net build to help curb the atty overheating, maybe give the joose a slower window to develop flavor in a little more vapor? Make since or am I just up in the night (like always) and too punchy to make any sense?

I can quess and do T&E until the cows come home, so mostly hope to hear from those who have this atty.

Thanks.

nogain.jpg

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Only found two vids for them before I bought this one. Both Euro in foreign languages I don't speak, so pretty much useless to me. And I didn't find any banter about it on any site that would translate. Maybe it's an atty that never caught on, lives up to it's name... No Gain for $118 and change.

However, I don't see any logical reason why it would have to be a tottle puffer with the air opened up. I'd probably open the existing up, add a second matching air intake other side though since the coil is center vertical. As for the joose, way back when I did mesh I was using 60PG/40VG joose so the PG would have carried the flavor better. I could thin the joose a little with PG I guess just to see if it makes any difference. But my preferred is VG heavy-100% VG, if I can't find a build to do them in it I don't need the atty.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
Your best bet for reviews are in the Italian squonker threads. Those are the people that use this atty. Sunbox, Art & Mods, Svapiamo, and the likes... They are out there, you just have to dig deep. The people that use them are the types that don't tinker with their equipment and like the restricted air flow. Tiny atty, huge flavor, discrete on the vapor....tootle puffers.

The atty isn't for everyone, but for those I've described they love them. The high placed squonk hole turned a lot of folks stateside off on this atty because most don't vape with mesh. The high placement is needed for mesh, but with a huge drawback imo, the ability to drain. For most, (like myself), it is just a prescription for leaking... I move around too much when I work and have found that almost any atty will leak, just some more than others and this one falls into that category.

I do know the few I have seen in the classies have taken quite a while to sell and at a deep discounted price.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Thanks for the info M. Regulated mods and tootle puffers to boot, I'll pass on seeking out their sites.

My MO for vaping doesn't get me into the realm of leaking atty's much unless it is an atty that leaks because of poor design. Most of my Reos spend most of their time standing vertical. So leaking would not be an issue with this atty even with two larger air intakes. I can get around the not draining by not chain vaping and getting the atty hot. Easy to do since I always have 3-5 Reos side-by-side going at the same time at home when working on the computer or relaxing in the recliner (my two job descriptions), and take a Mini 1.0 vertical in a shirt pocket when I go out on errands.

I still have almost all of the gear for vaping I ever bought, I could care less about selling gear on classified ads. If it doesn't pan out there is still plenty of room for this atty in The Box with all the rest of my gear that'll never be used again.

Reactions: muzichead

300fury

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2013
Rochester mn usa
Hey Spydro, I own this atty and have to agree it's not for the lung inhale crowd. I have to have monster throat hit and great flavor. For me this provides both. I have had it for around a month and have used it almost exclusively. Mesh is my favorite wick by far . I will agree that it does not drain well but once you get used to the amount of cotton and a good sqounk it's a great performer. I usually vape between .6 and 1 ohm, it checks all my boxes, sorry that your not pleased with yours, but everybody has a different vape style. I have a chalice 3 on its way and I may have a new favorite!! I have a feeling I will have a long affair with the chalice. I have a reo on deck waiting for it.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Thanks for the info 300fury, good to hear from someone that has this atty and is making it work for them.

I really like the idea of having a bf mesh atty for my Reos. And it gives me an excuse to use the ample supply of mesh I still have that's been in The Box for a couple of years. So I went ahead and added some PG to thin the joose being used down from 100% VG. It's about at a 40PG/60VG ratio now. It's working way better in this atty with the first build, just needs a bunch more air for my LDLH's. So I have just about decided to go ahead and bore out the air intake larger and add a second matching one opposite it, try some other builds once one. With the extra air I may not need to thin down the liquids for it, and that would make it a keeper for sure.

You should love the Chalice (1 C II and 5 C III's are the resident atty's on 6 of my Reos).

Hey Spydro, I own this atty and have to agree it's not for the lung inhale crowd. I have to have monster throat hit and great flavor. For me this provides both. I have had it for around a month and have used it almost exclusively. Mesh is my favorite wick by far . I will agree that it does not drain well but once you get used to the amount of cotton and a good sqounk it's a great performer. I usually vape between .6 and 1 ohm, it checks all my boxes, sorry that your not pleased with yours, but everybody has a different vape style. I have a chalice 3 on its way and I may have a new favorite!! I have a feeling I will have a long affair with the chalice. I have a reo on deck waiting for it.

Reactions: 300fury

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Amazing what a difference it makes to give an atty that is starving for air some of the air it deserves. I drilled out the original pin hole intake to shy of 5/64" (#49 bit), and that easily makes it on par with one of my 2013 Cyclones with a 5/64" intake, maybe just a tad tighter draw because of the design of it. My Cyclones were both drilled out larger at 5/64 & 7/64 one by someone before I bought them used, and I like the 7/64" better.

I'll play with more builds before I make any more mods to it, but will probably open this intake up more, or add another same size intake on the other side. This one will no longer be a tootle puffers regulated mod atty, and it might unseat one of my Nuppin's.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
How did the hole sizing go? I have it's sister, the NoPain, and think I'd love the air to be a bit lustier, so thinking about doing this myself.

Wasn't too bad Papa. I didn't bother to go find a drill motor or my drill press in storage, just used what was handy in the house. I chucked it in a machinists vise I always have on the vape bench, used a Dremel with various burrs then finished it up with a #49 drill bit. On this one the intake is right in the inner radius of the top of the chamber where it turns up into the DT. That means drilling through about 4mm of UNS S30400 SS. It opened up that radius just a little at the inner end of the hole. Didn't cause any issues, just had to be careful to not bind/break the finish drill bit, and used a burr to smooth it on the inside.

ETA: I'm getting clouds of flavor rich vapor from it now with a slow LDLH, but the draw is still a little restricted for my liking.

Last edited:
Reactions: Papa_Lazarou

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Wasn't too bad Papa. I didn't bother to go find a drill motor or my drill press in storage, just used what was handy in the house. I chucked it in a machinists vise I always have on the vape bench, used a Dremel with various burrs then finished it up with a #49 drill bit. On this one the intake is right in the inner radius of the top of the chamber where it turns up into the DT. That means drilling through about 4mm of UNS S30400 SS. It opened up that radius just a little at the inner end of the hole. Didn't cause any issues, just had to be careful to not bind/break the finish drill bit, and used a burr to smooth it on the inside.

ETA: I'm getting clouds of flavor rich vapor from it now with a slow LDLH, but the draw is still a little restricted for my liking.

Cool. I'm eyeing up my dremel right now.

Reactions: Spydro

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Cool. I'm eyeing up my dremel right now.

Hope it worked out OK for you too.

I've been vaping a Lavandula NEF in the NoGain for days now. Have a routine worked out so it doesn't get hot, and slowed down my already long draws to get by with the less air for now, but I am liking it just fine. It is probably the easiest of my Reo atty's in use because I don't have the need to squonk it very often even for my ELDLH's. The fluff in the deep well that feeds the mesh holds a lot of joose. So it's a keeper.

I'd rather run it on one of my Mini 2.1's that are not LP though, so I might try to give one a haircut. A bench belt/disk sander in storage would have to make the trip to my place. It would also unseat a Chalice III, turn it into a backup.

Nuppin' and Chalice atty's becoming backups. :shock: The sky is falling, the sky is falling! :blink:

Last edited:

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Hope it worked out OK for you too.

I've been vaping a Lavandula NEF in the NoGain for days now. Have a routine worked out so it doesn't get hot, and slowed down my already long draws to get by with the less air for now, but I am liking it just fine. It is probably the easiest of my Reo atty's in use because I don't have the need to squonk it very often even for my ELDLH's. The fluff in the deep well that feeds the mesh holds a lot of joose. So it's a keeper.

I'd rather run it on one of my Mini 2.1's that are not LP though, so I might try to give one a haircut. A bench belt/disk sander in storage would have to make the trip to my place. It would also unseat a Chalice III, turn it into a backup.

Nuppin' and Chalice atty's becoming backups. :shock: The sky is falling, the sky is falling! :blink:

It worked great. There's a lot to like about this atty (again, I'm using the NoPain version), but the air is quite restricted. Opening it up puts it in another league (IMHO).

Must be some kind of vape for you to put one of your beloved CH's or Nup's aside.

Laniere

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
Prato - Italy
Yo Spydro try 0.32 mm Kanthal (28 awg) and 5 cm of #200 mesh SuperFine, 3-4 wraps for a 0.8 ohm. Try to concentrate the wraps at the bottom. (at least from what i've tried, i used nogain for 1 week, and what i have read on italian forum)

The airhole is tight because is a eu-type of atomizer. What i mean is that It's made for a relaxed flavourfull (is that even a word?) vape with higher ohms and a slow draw.

Oh by the way have you tried the spider atmizer by Luca creations? it's a fantastic genesis bf atomizer and works great on reo.

Reactions: Spydro

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
I'm using 28 Ni80. I prefer a lower build than .8 ohms. With a large sheet of it the 400 mesh will do. My wraps start at the neg screw height, up from there. Since I opened up the air it has been working OK with this joose. Next build can be lower, buried in the fluff, and I'll build it lower yet for the joose I want to run in it next. Most of my fiddle time has been spent on other gear lately, but I'll get to it. There's another Reo sitting at my mail place that is next on the fiddle list after I go pick it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread