Noisy Cricket II!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

T0mmy1977

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 1, 2015
    I'm looking in to getting the VCP clone. It's a series mod. The black/deep blue version looks sweet.

VCP.JPG

LilWhiteClouder

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 1, 2015
    Raleigh, NC
    I'm looking in to getting the VCP clone. It's a series mod. The black/deep blue version looks sweet.

View attachment 608021
    Do you own a NC v1? This doesn't look too bad but I'm not a fan of the Piglet really.

I do like the Brass and blue alum version though... "No shinyitis, down boy. Remember the Petri rta you want!"
    :glug:

Btsmokincat

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 10, 2013
    Waterville ME
    Short and sweet initial review time...

Pros:
    Lightweight
    Solid durable feeling
    Very comfortable to hold
    Simple to use
    Fires immediately

Cons:
    No indication which way to turn the dial (clockwise to lower the volts)
    Dial has no markings for voltage level
    Typical Wismec 510 connection

So far I really like the Noisy Cricket II-25. It's simplicity and instant firing are a big plus. The battery life seems pretty good too. I've only been using it in constant voltage mode on the lowest setting and it feels like 50 watts with my .17 ohm build in my Boreas. For me it was worth the $30.

Btsmokincat

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 10, 2013
    Waterville ME
    I just got mine in the mail, so far so good, stupid question tho...the plastic tubes in the battery compartment, I removed them, is that right??? Or are they supposed to go around your battery, it works great without them
    From what I know they are billed as protective sleeves. I left mine in, no issues and I like the extra safety.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Btsmokincat

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 10, 2013
    Waterville ME
    I was considering this as my first mechanical and YES, I understand Ohm's law and the inherent danger of incorrect maths when it comes to mechs. Should I just purchase an OG Noisy Cricket? I feel like the electronics in the II would be a boon to a first time mecher.
    I'd go with the version 2. For me with the options and protections it's a no brainer. Plus there won't be any issues with hybrid safe 510 pins and tank sizes interfering with the button.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Ben85

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 16, 2014
    Kent, UK
    Do you own a NC v1? This doesn't look too bad but I'm not a fan of the Piglet really.

I do like the Brass and blue alum version though... "No shinyitis, down boy. Remember the Petri RTA you want!"
    :glug:

I have both the NC and the VCP (clone) and the VCP is by far the better mod IMO. I like everything about it apart from the fact that you need a tool to take the batteries out (although you can use your nails if you have strong ones!).

Schue

ECF Veteran
    Mar 30, 2015
    Texas
    This device is going to suffer from battery sag, and won't have any of the advantages in Series mode of the original. Doesn't even look as nice, the v1 will stand the test of time as a classic design albeit slightly rugged.

Whereas the v2 will be forgotten about this time next month.

Sorry Donnie, but I cannot agree with you on the v1's longevity. I have 2 of them and I am now on my second set of buttons and they are failing.

I love the design, but these things just are not built to last.

Schue

ECF Veteran
    Mar 30, 2015
    Texas
    I was considering this as my first mechanical and YES, I understand Ohm's law and the inherent danger of incorrect maths when it comes to mechs. Should I just purchase an OG Noisy Cricket? I feel like the electronics in the II would be a boon to a first time mecher.

If you want a mechanical mod then buy the v1. The v2 is not a mechanical mod.

The v1 may not last long. Mine are not built to last.

xpen

ECF Veteran
    Jun 18, 2012
    Italy
    Agree, I'm experiencing electrical issues with my NC v1 as well, partially due to the button and partially to the unbelievable amount of dirty/oxide quickly accumulating in the button/hybrid cap threads
    Considering that you need to unscrew daily both the cap and the button for replacing the batteries, you can deoxit/noalox all you want but it doesn't last
    I have also a NC v2 now, nice mod if you plan to use it in direct output mode, either serial or parallel. No issues with the power button, and replacing the batteries is a quick and effortless affair.
    I'm not a fan of its regulated power though, it's using some sort of PWM circuitry with low frequency sampling, you get rattling noise from the atom (Vamo-like, if you know what I mean)

Donnie Alexander

ECF Veteran
    Oct 17, 2015
    Sorry Donnie, but I cannot agree with you on the v1's longevity. I have 2 of them and I am now on my second set of buttons and they are failing.

I love the design, but these things just are not built to last.

Totally agree, I was actually referring to its design rather than to its build quality.

pappasmurfsharem

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 15, 2013
    Has anyone found that the NCII 's lowest voltage setting Isn't 2V?

I popped a .33 build on it and at the lowest setting (full Dial CW) its hitting much harder than 2v

If I turn the dial full CCW its definitely putting much more power to the coil.

I compared with a few of my other mods and setting this at what "should be 2v" according to their documentation matchs my other mods at 3.5-4 volts.

The Fire button light is red/orange so it's definitely in Constant voltage mode.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread