Status
Not open for further replies.

stpeters

Feb 24, 2009
People I worked with referred to it as "huffing his gay pipe." I gave up.

Perhaps you could respond with "Leave me alone, I'm just smoking my high-tech cigarette. Soon they will be everywhere like cell phones"

Equating electronic cigarettes with cell phones is a good idea. High-tech, and cells where supposed to give you cancer at one time...

I just tell them it's my pacifier and leave it at that.:lol:

I went to my doctor today and she asked me if I was still using that "thingy" instead of smoking and I told her yes. She said, "Good, stay off the cigarettes."

So it's my pacifier thingy and it has carmel/toffee flavoring.....I don't mention the nicotine....nobody's biz :cool:

karyts

Oct 29, 2008
At the end, it's really a matter of where you are when asked upon.

If you are outside, the questions you encounter will be usually from curious individuals who wants to know about the device. You can reply with almost anything, as longest you can explain what it is. I doubt that anyone would call the police just because you reply it as, "It's a personal vaporizer".

However, it's completely different if you encounter someone while using it indoors, then you will be most likely facing an individual with a negative mind with responses similar to: "Hey, you are not allowed to smoke here". In this situation, you must come up with an answer that includes the fact that it's legal to use in order to avoid further frustration.

I think sellers should not make any claims saying that it is legal to use indoors. Because at the end, it's really the decision of the property owners.
E-cigarettes do have an aroma, and it does produce vapor that can possibly set off fire alarms. Exhaling any sort of vapor indoors really conflicts a standard human logic and could have a negative impact on how the government will view such devices in the future.

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
Oh, my . . . I am laughing so hard at this thread. Being a 46 year old boring housewife, I was pretty clueless about most of the drug connotations. Oh, I know that "stash" sounds kind of shady, but I had no idea about "vaping" kind of sounding druggie. And I literally laughed out loud about "E" in liquid form. :lol:

With that said, though, I do find that when I'm explaining my "device" to nonsmokers, "vaporizer" or "inhaler" seem to go over much better than electronic cigarettes. It's almost like they hear the word "cigarette" and kind of get stuck. But if I take the time to REALLY explain it to them, they seem to get over the "cigarette" part fairly quickly.

Honestly, I've only had one bad reaction, and that was just a few days ago. I was standing outside the bookstore with my brother, and I was vaping. A woman walked by and told me how inconsiderate it was for me to be smoking near the entry to the store. I explained that I wasn't smoking, and my brother quickly volunteered, "She's smoking an e-cigarette." Went over like a lead balloon. I wonder if the reaction would have been different if my brother said I was using a nicotine inhaler or nicotine vaporizer. :confused:

In any event, I'm going to have to rethink some of my terminology, especially e-liquid. :oops: :D

stpeters

Feb 24, 2009
At the end, it's really a matter of where you are when asked upon.
However, it's completely different if you encounter someone while using it indoors, then you will be most likely facing an individual with a negative mind with responses similar to: "Hey, you are not allowed to smoke here". In this situation, you must come up with an answer that includes the fact that it's legal to use in order to avoid further frustration.

I think sellers should not make any claims saying that it is legal to use indoors. Because at the end, it's really the decision of the property owners.
E-cigarettes do have an aroma, and it does produce vapor that can possibly set off fire alarms. Exhaling any sort of vapor indoors really conflicts a standard human logic and could have a negative impact on how the government will view such devices in the future.

I totally agree with people that want us to "vape" outside. I don't smoke my electronic cigarette in the office, and I am the boss & owner even! If they place electronic smoking under the same restrictions as analogs, I wouldn't mind one bit. Going outside to smoke and enjoy the lush scenery gives me a nice break from the rigors of the office.

I'm just pointing out that we should watch our language. Like it or not, diplomacy is 80% words and 20% action. And unless we act like good diplomats for our cause, in the end nothing else will matter.

Electronic cigarettes must survive in the court of public opinion long before it can have a hope of overcoming the regulatory battles it will soon face.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Excellent thread, Stpeters. I'll add one more term to trash: "Bling".

There is no such thing in e-smoking, but someone decided a decorated e-cigar was a "bling", and the term gained popular use on this forum. It's a term that will be turned against us.

Expect to hear: "Young people will want a bling so they can use addictive liquid in cherry (or banana or strawnberry or ...) flavor." Oooooo. Bad.

Calling an e-cigar a bling is asking for trouble.

BTW: I wish Nicquid could become accepted. Great word. Accurate, too. E-liquid never made sense, but the search terms for Google are the terms we're stuck with: E-smoking, e-cigs, e-liquid. Note that the FDA rejected applications for e-cigs to be called by other terms as being "mislabeled." They are electronic cigarettes. We'll live or die with that term.

stpeters

Feb 24, 2009
The more I think about it, the more I like "personal inhaler".

I tried that line on a curious delivery man who saw the blue light. I said "It's an inhaler". He said "Asthma? Funny, I thought it was a cigarette". I said "It is made that way on purpose. I just quit smoking and I have flavored nicotine liquid in it now." I didn't have to explain the smokey stuff.

He thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. He asked for where to order them, since his wife is trying to cut back on cigarettes (children in the house).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread