Non Smoker thinking about Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

dweano

Sep 22, 2014
Hey guys. I have become interested in vaping so I read around and figured I would sign up and make a post. Where to start...well first off:

-I don't smoke, so I will only ever stick to 0 nicotine juices. I have read some threads and people seem to be quite against someone vaping who doesn't smoke. But I figure with 0 nic juices...its basically just breathing in flavoured vapour...how is it different than chewing gum? Thats basically just flavoured chewy rubber. Anyways... thats the main reason I wanna try it out. Vape some mint, some coffee, why not? Sounds like it has the potential to be enjoyable.

-Also I have no desire for "throat hit" so I should stick to 100% vg stuff correct??

-I am also into flashlights so I know about battery safety and what not. I am looking for a "mid sized" one...eGo type I believe? (still early in my research stage) so those would use probably something like 10440's or 14500's I am assuming? Do they draw lotsa amps? Would efest IMR batteries be best then? They are more safe anyways...

- I am in Canada, but there seems to be enough places out there that cater to Canadians.

-I guess I am looking for a model to try. I wanna get something qood quality and safe, not a chinese knockoff (the flashlight world is fine, but something that goes into my body I don't wanna trust to the Chinese (no offense))

-speaking of which, I know this may not be the healthiest in the long term, but its not THAT bad is it? 100% vg, 0 Nic... flavour and vapour right? I grew up on a farm and have breathed in some nasty crap (fumes, grain dust, welding fumes) so I mean...its gotta be better than that? Haha

-back to what to buy. I think probably a smaller cylinder type. I do like the look of the box types (like the innokin VTR) but they seem to be bigger and heavier. I want something that would slip into a pocket. Also I want something with a clear tank (clearomizer??) so I can see what is left (running it out is bad right?). And something that I can refill easy and doesn't leak, etc.

-the parts confuse me...the atomizers are parts that need replacing alot right??? I am looking for a one time purchase and then not having to buy anything else but liquid.

-When switching between liquids...how is that done? If I have a tank full of coffee do I gotta empty it before I put in some mint?? Or how is that done?

Phew I think that is all my thoughts. Some is rambling and some is questions. Any answers would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Oh, and I want a manual (push button and inhale)
-Oh, one more basic newb question...do you inhale the vapour cigarette style or just in the mouth like a cigar?)

darkkitsune

Sep 22, 2014
Sparks, NV
Well....I'm never one to tell other people what to do, so if you've decided to try vaping - then I'm not going to climb on a soapbox to stop you.
Most beginners get an eGo style battery. They are decent but the battery life is pretty dismal. If you buy a couple then you should be fine. Health....well, I don't think there have been any conclusive studies showing if vaporizing PG/VG changes the composition of the liquids to the point where they become hazardous. As a former smoker, I'm willing to take that risk because whatever side effects vaping has, it can't be as bad as smoking.
Getting a tank for juice really isn't a one time purchase. The coils/wick will eventually go bad and you'll have to replace them. My advice is get a Nautilus mini - it has some great flavor for a tank and when you need to replace the coil head it's easy and not too expensive. I think the replacement coil heads are around 4.00 each. Changing flavors...well, I used to change the coil but I've also cleaned it under fresh water, blown it out and then refilled the tank and let it wick up for a while. There was still a bit of flavor bleed through but not that bad.

Wraith504

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
New Orleans, LA
Do most people just stick with one flavour then? Or have separate tanks for separate flavours? Are the tanks the same as the clearomizers? (I told you I was a newb)
There are rebuildable tank atomizers where you are going to build your own coils, resistance etc. Not recommended for a noob. The clearomizers will have coils that you purchase when the one you are vaping craps out. You can get clearomizers and coils fairly cheap all things considered and keep a few clean and available for a new flavor if you want. Probably the easiest way to do it IMO.

Wraith504

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
New Orleans, LA
So one can clean them out and put a new flavour in no prob? That sounds good.

Another question: what is the advantage of changing/boosting the volts/amps?
regulated mods give you the ability to dial in a consistent vape experience that you enjoy when you find your sweet spot. In comparison with a mechanical mod, If the vape is too hot or there is too much vapor and not enough flavor, you will have to rebuild coils etc to get it where u like it. VV/VW will allow you to hit a button and provide more or less power to the coils giving you more or less heat/more or less vapor.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Hello and welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here!:)

If you are interested in learning more about e-cigarettes (and all the parts and pieces) below are some blog posts by ECF member Baditude that I highly recommend for someone new to vaping and/or looking to upgrade.

1. A Good Starter's Setup for a Beginning Vapor
2. Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder with Egos and Mods
3. Proper terminology - Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Attachments.
4. Something Safe for Cinnamon and Citrus Flavors

Now for some possible options for you to consider:

1. JoyeTech Ego-C Twist - variable voltage
2. Vision Spinner - variable voltage
3. Innokin iTaste vv v3 - variable v/w & pass through ability
4. Innokin iTaste MVP v2 - variable v/w & pass through ability + extras

The first 3 are fall into the "ego style" category of battery (w/variable voltage). They range in size from 600mah to 1300mah. The higher the mah the longer the battery will last between charging. The 4th one is a step up from an "ego style" battery in that it is a smaller box mod with a very big battery (2600mah). It will last many vapers a whole day before it needs recharging. It is probably one of the most popular batteries for someone upgrading from an "ego style" battery. Some vapers choose to buy one "ego style" battery as a backup and also purchase the MVP for their main battery.

You will need to purchase a tank (the juice attachment) with the first three on the above list. The mini Nautillus, mini Aerotank or regular size Aerotank (all made of glass) are very popular. The MVP comes with a tank but it is not glass.

Read all the links, google some of the batteries, and once you have narrowed down the field, we will be able to give you recommendations for websites where you can purchase products (if you don't have a vape shop nearby).

Last edited:

sharpie24l

ECF Veteran
Sep 9, 2014
Gainesville, FL, United States
Some good advice so far. I came to this site and Susan gave me the same advice she put here. From someone that read through everything she posted 4 times, take your time read it all pretty thoroughly lol. She just dropped a ton of knowledge that will probably get you exactly where you need to be. Good luck finding what fits your needs and what works for you and welcome to the forum.

NightSky

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2014
California
Hey guys. I have become interested in vaping so I read around and figured I would sign up and make a post. Where to start...well first off:
I don't smoke, so I will only ever stick to 0 nicotine juices. I have read some threads and people seem to be quite against someone vaping who doesn't smoke. But I figure with 0 nic juices...its basically just breathing in flavoured vapour...how is it different than chewing gum? Thats basically just flavoured chewy rubber. Anyways... thats the main reason I wanna try it out. Vape some mint, some coffee, why not? Sounds like it has the potential to be enjoyable.

I hadn’t smoked very much when I started vaping either. I still consider it to be an enjoyable and worthwhile thing to do even with that in mind. Gadgets + smoking(not really)= win.

0mg nicotine is fine, but personally I don’t enjoy it very much unless I’m just trying to make big clouds. The smoking experience isn’t as enjoyable because you can’t really feel like you’re smoking anything; just feels like you’re inhaling and exhaling air. With 6mg you’re going to get a nice head buzz going, a little throat hit, etc.
Up to you though of course, if you enjoy 0mg go for it. Nicotine isn’t great for you =p

Also I have no desire for "throat hit" so I should stick to 100% vg stuff correct??
The throat hit is almost all in the nicotine content, although some of it will have to do with the heat of the vape. Your PG/VG mixture won’t matter in terms of throat hit too much.

I am also into flashlights so I know about battery safety and what not. I am looking for a "mid sized" one...eGo type I believe? (still early in my research stage) so those would use probably something like 10440's or 14500's I am assuming? Do they draw lotsa amps? Would efest IMR batteries be best then? They are more safe anyways...
You really don’t need to worry about high amp batteries unless you’re going to be doing some more advanced sub ohm resistance vaping.
If you’re worried you can always plug the battery voltage + the resistance of your device into an ohms law calculator, it’ll tell you how many amps it’ll draw. Although that’s being overly cautious, you won’t need it for a standard ego battery and a tank of some kind.

I am in Canada, but there seems to be enough places out there that cater to Canadians.

-I guess I am looking for a model to try. I wanna get something qood quality and safe, not a chinese knockoff (the flashlight world is fine, but something that goes into my body I don't wanna trust to the Chinese (no offense)
Can’t think of anything specific off the top of my head, I’d maybe try buying a cheap starter kit. Usually has an ego style battery, a tank of some kind, and a charger. My first vape kit was an ego ce4, although I outgrew it really quickly it was inexpensive and let me give vaping a try.

speaking of which, I know this may not be the healthiest in the long term, but its not THAT bad is it? 100% vg, 0 Nic... flavour and vapour right? I grew up on a farm and have breathed in some nasty crap (fumes, grain dust, welding fumes) so I mean...its gotta be better than that? Haha
Nowhere near as bad as cigarettes. You’re only inhaling pg/vg/flavoring/and maybe nicotine. No burning plant matter or chemicals in the paper, etc.
Ecigarettes are pretty unstudied at the moment; there is a lot of conflicting research. But my advice would be to pretty much not worry about it.

back to what to buy. I think probably a smaller cylinder type. I do like the look of the box types (like the innokin VTR) but they seem to be bigger and heavier. I want something that would slip into a pocket. Also I want something with a clear tank (clearomizer??) so I can see what is left (running it out is bad right?). And something that I can refill easy and doesn't leak, etc.

I can’t think of a solid recommendation this second.
Like I said any kind of starter kit works well. You could also just buy any vv/vw mod and a clearomizer that you want, although it’ll be a little more expensive. There is a bunch of information available about all of this, so basically you just need to decide what you like.

the parts confuse me...the atomizers are parts that need replacing alot right??? I am looking for a one time purchase and then not having to buy anything else but liquid.
You’ll need to put in new liquid and occasionally put in a new atomizer head every week or two (maybe longer). The atomizer heads are quite cheap.

When switching between liquids...how is that done? If I have a tank full of coffee do I gotta empty it before I put in some mint?? Or how is that done?
I just let it run pretty dry, and then just switch liquids. You’ll get a bit of the last flavor but it’ll pass as you vape on it for a while.
You can also just take flavorless ejuice, put in a bit and fire the device. That could do some good as well if the first method doesn’t work for you.
Cleaning out the tank completely works well if you’re really picky.

Phew I think that is all my thoughts. Some is rambling and some is questions. Any answers would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Oh, and I want a manual (push button and inhale)

No problem, hope that I could help you.
-Oh, one more basic newb question...do you inhale the vapour cigarette style or just in the mouth like a cigar?)
Whichever you like, I personally take lung hits so I can hold my vapor in and in turn blow out larger clouds. But the flavor/nicotine if you use it only needs to get to your mouth to do its job.

SpyderBite

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2011
Sedona, AZ
Do most people just stick with one flavour then? Or have separate tanks for separate flavours? Are the tanks the same as the clearomizers? (I told you I was a newb)

I don't usually keep separate tanks filled with different flavors as I don't change up my flavors very frequently. I do have extra tanks just so that I can let a tank I've just cleaned air dry overnight. When I decide to use a different juice, I'll fill one of my other tanks, and then clean the one I've just emptied. I guess I "rotate" my tanks. XD

Shuin

Sep 24, 2014
Brussels, Belgium
on the other hand .... inhaling nothing artificial is even better , since you are not a smoker it'd be perfect not to inhale anything at all.. but if it is the taste or the hype pushing you to vape , then something like a vamo or a dna30 with some good rba will do the trick for you (in your case , delivering taste and big clouds ) as for the vaping style (cig alike or cigar alike) its up to your taste ;)

dweano

Sep 22, 2014
Phew. I have been doing alot of reading the past couple days. I think I learned more. So basically ecigs are about two parts:

"brains" (the battery and buttons and whatnot that power the..)
"tank" (which holds the fluid and wicks and juice and atomizers?) and then the mouthpiece (also called a drip tip?)

Anyways. I'll stick to 0 nic. More looking for flavour and something to keep me entertained so I don't eat when I am bored.

I am also not sure what to get. A cheaper thin cylinder style for trial. But then I am actually prefering the box mod styles (innokin VTR is what I am really looking at). I like when the tank is recessed. It seems more durable. I'll probably put this sucker in my jacket pockets and whatnot so i wouldn't want the tank sticking up (like on the MVP). I have also found the kato mod...which I understand is mechanical?? Which means you just inhale and it turns a switch which vapourizes? No button??

Anyways...anymore recommendations for that "style" would be appreciated. The smaller the better probably. Is there 14500 box style mods?

I am not sure what RBA means? Is there different ways (bottom coil/top coil, single coil/dual coil) that maximize flavour? There is so many options for everything out there!!! I am trying to do alot of research before I buy

Also here is some more noob questions:

-Atomizers need replacing semi frequently correct? Are they universal fit or do you ones that are only for your device (even then the atomizers are in the tank so would the be based off tank model or based of vapourizer model?)
-Are there on/off switchs? Or just when you press the button it is on and all other times it is off? (Don't gotta worry about draining the battery)

proxion

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2014
NB, Canada
Phew. I have been doing alot of reading the past couple days. I think I learned more. So basically ecigs are about two parts:

"brains" (the battery and buttons and whatnot that power the..)
"tank" (which holds the fluid and wicks and juice and atomizers?) and then the mouthpiece (also called a drip tip?)

Anyways. I'll stick to 0 nic. More looking for flavour and something to keep me entertained so I don't eat when I am bored.

I am also not sure what to get. A cheaper thin cylinder style for trial. But then I am actually prefering the box mod styles (innokin VTR is what I am really looking at). I like when the tank is recessed. It seems more durable. I'll probably put this sucker in my jacket pockets and whatnot so i wouldn't want the tank sticking up (like on the MVP). I have also found the kato mod...which I understand is mechanical?? Which means you just inhale and it turns a switch which vapourizes? No button??
From what I understand, mechanical mods are unregulated batteries which contain no printed circuit board inside. (No electronics, just a power supply) They also, by definition, have a button... the ones that don't need a switch are "automatic".

I am not sure what RBA means? Is there different ways (bottom coil/top coil, single coil/dual coil) that maximize flavour? There is so many options for everything out there!!! I am trying to do alot of research before I buy

Also here is some more noob questions:

-Atomizers need replacing semi frequently correct? Are they universal fit or do you ones that are only for your device (even then the atomizers are in the tank so would the be based off tank model or based of vapourizer model?)
-Are there on/off switchs? Or just when you press the button it is on and all other times it is off? (Don't gotta worry about draining the battery)
The atomizers are not universal. Some will fit multiple tanks (my Protank 3 and T3D use the same atomizer, but my 16D is completely different).

You would replace your atomizer when it starts giving a burnt taste, or little vapor, or leaks... RBAs solve this problem, but consume significant time. I just buy 5 packs of atomizers for $5-10...

There are no "on/off" switch on my batteries - my CLK uses 3 button pushes for on/off, and my Spinner II uses 5 clicks for on/off. You still need to push the button to get a drag, however the on/off feature prevents it from going off in my pockets.

From what I understand, "RBA" stands for rebuildable atomizer. RBAs would generally be intended to be rebuilded - whereas some atomizers can be rebuilded even though they weren't specifically intended to be.

Last edited:

dweano

Sep 22, 2014
Ah yes makes sense. I am really leaning towards the Innokin VTR...from fasttech... anything I should be concerned about? They say it is authentic? I like the features and I figure I might as well jump right in!!

Also...getting back to the simple solutions heritage of this thread... drip tips can be reloaded from the top right? Do they also leak outta the top then? Say I put it in my pocket and it tips upside down...I mean if fluid can go in it can it also come out??

If I got the VTR they use the Iclear 30s clearomizer (that comes with it as least) ... which I understand can use 510 drip tips kinda good? So any other drip tip I want would work too?

Hey dweano, I'm a new vaper, and like you, a non-smoker.

My first purchase was a starter set on eBay from a vendor that 2 members here recommended, but then I bought an Innokin MVP 2.0 at a local vape shop before the starter set arrived. I'm using the MVP with a Kanger Aerotank V2 tank/mouthpiece (If I recall correctly, I think I've seen this referred to as a "glassomizer"). The Kanger Aerotank leaks every time I refill it, but I'm sure that's due to my own inexperience and clumsiness rather than any fault of the product. If you're looking for user friendly, inexpensive-but-powerful equipment to get started on, you can't go wrong with the MVP 2.0 and a Kanger or a Nautilus (or nautilus mini), and if you shop around online, you can find that set-up for a pretty low price. Get extra coils and some ejuice to go with it, and you're all set to give it a try. The Innokin VTR is a step up from the MVP, so I'm sure that's a great option too if you're willing to make the investment.

I just bought some flavorings and a 50/50 VG/PG base to fiddle around with making my own e-juices, and I'm hoping the DIY forum here will have some useful tips for making simple, nicotine-free blends. Since we're not using e-juice with nicotine, the pg/vg ratio might not matter so much. Thus far, I've been buying e juice in different ratios to see if it makes any difference in the overall experience.

Good luck - hope you find vaping as enjoyable as I have :)

Wow1420

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2013
Somewhere out there
anyways...

-speaking of which, I know this may not be the healthiest in the long term, but its not THAT bad is it? 100% vg, 0 Nic... flavour and vapour right?

The biggest unknown in vaping (IMO) is the safety of the flavorings that were meant for use in food or beverages, not inhalation. I'm not enough of an expert to go into details, but it's something I'd recommend you research before ordering your e-liquid.

Personally, I stick to menthol and light fruit flavors, mostly out of preference, but also these seem least likely to do harm when inhaled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread