Status
Not open for further replies.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
I knew I was just being a snob! :oops:

I wasn't going to say anything to him and he totally has every right. I agree with all of you, I guess I was stuck in the mindset that vaping is a great way to quit smoking and should be used primarily as such.

To everyone that has replied so far, are all of you ex-smokers? I get the impression from most of the people here on ECF are ex-smokers. Honestly I think if I had never smoked a cigarette but discovered vaping I would have been as much into it as I am now, it's that enjoyable to me. (yes I'm apparently a snobby hypocrite too!)

An ex-smoker here. I smoked for 30+ years. I wish these had been around before I started smoking.

Barbara21

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
Greenville, SC, USA
<snip>.

I agree with Rickajho - if he's old enough to fight (and possibly die) for his country, he's old enough to vape if he wants to. (I believe that for drinking too but that's an unrelated subject).

Hey, I'M the one who said that! *pouts*

Sorry EvilZoe - When I started writing my answer, Rickajho's post was the only one there. I meant that I agree with Rickajho that the young man has the right to do whatever he wants. Your post (about dying for his country) wasn't there yet.

Obviously great minds think alike. :)

If it makes you feel better, I agree with you too. :)

Btsmokincat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2013
Waterville ME
Btsmokingcat, I don’t think anybody here means to beat up on you. My first kneejerk reaction is the same as yours. Don’t take it personally. It’s a question that comes up a lot in one form or another. We've had a lot of practice. :)

I'm not phased at all! I knew I was wrong for feeling the way I did that day. The guy was really friendly and I thanked him for the suggestion. Everyone is right on the mark. I shouldn't have been such a douche canoe about it! :facepalm:

EvilZoe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
Savoir-Faire is everywhere!

I wasn't going to say anything to him and he totally has every right. I agree with all of you, I guess I was stuck in the mindset that vaping is a great way to quit smoking and should be used primarily as such.

To everyone that has replied so far, are all of you ex-smokers? I get the impression from most of the people here on ECF are ex-smokers. Honestly I think if I had never smoked a cigarette but discovered vaping I would have been as much into it as I am now, it's that enjoyable to me. (yes I'm apparently a snobby hypocrite too!)

Oh, I hope you didn't get the impression that we're jumping on you or anything. We're really not...lol

I don't want you to feel bad in the least. :)

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
How do you feel about people who never smoked cigarettes vaping?

I was at the only vaping supply store in Maine on Monday (which is also an 18+ only tobacco shop) checking out all their juices. In walks a kid, who I swear was not a day over 18, grabs a bottle of juice and says I should "try the cinnamon roll, it's really good". Now I have no idea if this guy is a young ex-smoker but I doubt it.

I didn't say anything to him as it's not my business but it kind of bugged me. As a 12 year ex-smoker (thanks to vaping) I don't think non-smokers should start vaping anymore than they should pick up a cigarette. BTW the shop only sells juice with nicotine in it.

Am I just being a total snob or does this bother anyone else? I think what makes me cringe the most is the mis-information about e-cigs marketed to children and here's this barely 18 year old vaping.

To each his own....
Ha! Looks, impressions are so deceiving. He might have been 24, only carding him would tell for sure.
When i was 24, people thought my dausghter and i were sisters. At 36 they thought she was the parent. She aged beautifully , but she wore makekup, looked more mature than me in my baseball cap and pony tail. Car salesmen, store clerks, all thought she was the mom & me the brat teenager.
Today at 49 she looks 20. Its her turn to look younger than her kid.

I'd assume the young man had been carded on a previous visit. If not, then ask the store abiut ge requirements and educate if needed.

tapatypo

MrStik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2013
SoCal

I was at the only vaping supply store in Maine on Monday (which is also an 18+ only tobacco shop) checking out all their juices. In walks a kid, who I swear was not a day over 18, grabs a bottle of juice and says I should "try the cinnamon roll, it's really good". Now I have no idea if this guy is a young ex-smoker but I doubt it.

I didn't say anything to him as it's not my business but it kind of bugged me. As a 12 year ex-smoker (thanks to vaping) I don't think non-smokers should start vaping anymore than they should pick up a cigarette. BTW the shop only sells juice with nicotine in it.

Am I just being a total snob or does this bother anyone else? I think what makes me cringe the most is the mis-information about e-cigs marketed to children and here's this barely 18 year old vaping.

To each his own....

nothing to see here

Last edited:

loislolalane

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
I think that the hookah smoker thing needs to be thrown in the ring more, in these conversations of vape-worthiness. A lot of people smoke hookah and it really isn't anymore safe than cigarettes, but they aren't regarded with such negativity, the way that cigarette smoking is. I truly would rather my friends vape with me than go out and smoke a hookah. The no nic option gives them exactly what they're looking for, safely. I have seen a lot of posts about how ex-smokers are unhappy about others choosing to vape, but to each his own. At some point we all gotta live and let live.

Living, loving, and laughing all the time!

Chimney34

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2012
Winston-Salem, North Carolina

Don't beat yourself up. I'm sure many peoples that your reaction was the same as many of ours would've been, mines included. We all have our issues when it comes to vaping vs smoking. I now absolutely hate the smell of cigarettes but I refuse to say it aloud. People put up with me & my smoking for sooooo long it just seems wrong to voice it. It also serves as a reminder that vaping has saved me in more ways than one.

cmdebrecht

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
I think that the hookah smoker thing needs to be thrown in the ring more, in these conversations of vape-worthiness. A lot of people smoke hookah and it really isn't anymore safe than cigarettes, but they aren't regarded with such negativity, the way that cigarette smoking is. I truly would rather my friends vape with me than go out and smoke a hookah. The no nic option gives them exactly what they're looking for, safely. I have seen a lot of posts about how ex-smokers are unhappy about others choosing to vape, but to each his own. At some point we all gotta live and let live.

Living, loving, and laughing all the time!

Ok, since you brought it up... What exactly is smoking a hookah all about? I mean I know what the thing looks like but what exactly do people smoke in one? And why?

Evi|grin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2013

Well i feel its none of my business but i would be concerned if the person is under 18. I certainly don't encourage adult non smokers to vape nicotine based juices. I guess until im in that situation, i really don't know what i would do or say.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada

IMO you are certainly no snob Btsmokincat :thumb:.

Also, had you posted this eight or nine months ago, the response would have been totally different. It's interesting to see how attitudes can change over time.

I was also a smoker before quitting with vaping. I think the vast majority of us on ECF have the same experience.

Jayvaps

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2013
South Florida
non smokers vaping nic? Why would I care? If they are an adult, they can do whatever they want as long as it is not harming others.

I would not encourage it, but I would not be against it either.

WE ALL never used nicotine at some point in our lives(well, unless you were smoking cigarettes when you were born) and we all made our own choice at some point to become nicotine users. And those of us that made the switch from tobacco to e-liquid containing nicotine are still nicotine users.

Personally, the nicotine really doesnt scare me. Not much more than caffeine scares me. /shrug

I wont be a 'do as a say not as I do' person

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest

None of my biz, really, but i've heard from several parents that their children are coming home from school reporting that many kids have vape gear for the "cool" factor or something.

The ones that I spoke to were not happy about it.

I am just reporting in. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread