Non-smokers vaping...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slobalt7

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
Murika
Idk, I don't see the problem with a non-smoker vaping, my co worker wants to get a vape because of me and although he smoked for 5 years and has been stopped for 3, he asked to try my vape. At the time I had Vanilla Cupcake 0 nic in it and he thinks it is awesome. He occasionally smokes medicinal herbs (since we aren't allowed to say a generic name) so I told him about dry vapes and he is more interested in getting one so he could vape the crystallized ... and smoke the leftovers later.

Also for those who are talking about hookah, technically it is a true mech vape, you don't have any smoke unless you set it up wrong or actually burn the shisha (hookah tobacco). You have a hookah with shisha in the bowl piece, a thick aluminum/stainless screen(I use foil because I am cheap), and a lit coal sitting on top. The coal "cooks" the shisha and the vapor coming off consists of the same chemicals in vapes, VG, PG, flavor. Most don't have nicotine in them because it is not really cured tobacco (in the states anyways), it is another type of herb though I can't remember the name. They have been "smoked" for hundreds of years but originally were for smoking opium in Asia and the Middle East for medicinal or religious practices. It wasn't until the last century or so that they were admittedly used for recreation.

"A 2008 aetiological study on hookah smoking and cancer led by a group of Pakistani researchers found that overall serum CEA levels (as a biological marker for cancer) in exclusive hookah smokers, who had been using weight equivalents of up to 60 cigarettes of tobacco in daily sessions for decades, were higher than in non-smokers but substantially lower than those recorded in cigarette smokers considering the same amount of tobacco. The study also concluded that heavy and non-moderate hookah smoking (2–4 daily preparations; 3–8 sessions a day; 2 to 6 hours net daily smoking time) substantially raises CEA levels."

Last edited:

xSoyer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2013
Ashburn, VA, USA
Idk, I don't see the problem with a non-smoker vaping, my co worker wants to get a vape because of me and although he smoked for 5 years and has been stopped for 3, he asked to try my vape. At the time I had Vanilla Cupcake 0 nic in it and he thinks it is awesome. He occasionally smokes medicinal herbs (since we aren't allowed to say a generic name) so I told him about dry vapes and he is more interested in getting one so he could vape the crystallized ... and smoke the leftovers later.

Also for those who are talking about hookah, technically it is a true mech vape, you don't have any smoke unless you set it up wrong or actually burn the shisha (hookah tobacco). You have a hookah with shisha in the bowl piece, a thick aluminum/stainless screen(I use foil because I am cheap), and a lit coal sitting on top. The coal "cooks" the shisha and the vapor coming off consists of the same chemicals in vapes, VG, PG, flavor. Most don't have nicotine in them because it is not really cured tobacco (in the states anyways), it is another type of herb though I can't remember the name. They have been "smoked" for hundreds of years but originally were for smoking opium in Asia and the Middle East for medicinal or religious practices. It wasn't until the last century or so that they were admittedly used for recreation.

"A 2008 aetiological study on hookah smoking and cancer led by a group of Pakistani researchers found that overall serum CEA levels (as a biological marker for cancer) in exclusive hookah smokers, who had been using weight equivalents of up to 60 cigarettes of tobacco in daily sessions for decades, were higher than in non-smokers but substantially lower than those recorded in cigarette smokers considering the same amount of tobacco. The study also concluded that heavy and non-moderate hookah smoking (2–4 daily preparations; 3–8 sessions a day; 2 to 6 hours net daily smoking time) substantially raises CEA levels."

US former hookah smoker here. Yes VG no PG, Yes nicotine, no herbal blends.

There exist herbal blends of shisha but they're just blends of tea and some form of sweetener that's not good for you. They are not good (in the hookah community opinion herbal is no bueno.)

A very solid US shisha manufacturer Tangiers uses Virginian tobacco.. so idk where you're getting the idea of non-cured tobacco not being in US shisha..

nakhla and Al fakher (two big uae/Egypt brands) also are big over here.. and they use tobacco..

I do agree that you're not directly combusting the shisha if you do it properly though, and would be more inclined to call it vapor, however so many people do it improperly and the carbon emissions from the coals also play a factor as you are in fact inhaling small amounts of smoke that come from the coals..

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Hmmm I guess I am the odd duck.

I would wait to see if the B & M Carded him since it is an 18+ place. ;) If not I would definitely say something to management. But as for the young person vaping. That's a none of my business thing. So many problems in this world come from one group of people trying to control what another group of people does. Nope I am not going there personally.

GoodNews!

Moved On
Oct 25, 2013
Vaping, USA
With smoking being something that humans have done for thousands upon thousands of years, wether pipes, cigarettes, hookah, or whatever, I think people are a bit geared toward inhaling something, and I'd rather that be vapor than smoke. As long as vaping proves to be healthy, I don't find anything wrong with it being a hobby even to people who've never smoked. But vaping gear is really going to have to improve in the field before anyone casually gets into it - most addicted smokers have so much trouble with devices that the only thing that keeps them trying out new things is to quit cigarettes. Anyone who just wants to try vaping probably won't have much patience with it unless they're extremely lucky and run into a series of devices that plain works right.

justagirl

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2013
Colorado
Well your post made me want to weight in after all, in an honest way. The reason I posted before is that....I don't have young kids. But I will go ahead and pretend I do, for hypotheticals:

Well they won't be addicted to anything if it is zero nic.

However, I guess I wouldn't want my kids developing any of the behaviors or rituals: inhaling, pursing lips (which does create vertical wrinkes over time), putting stuff even if relatively safe into their young lungs, dealing with the SAFETY ISSUES of lithium batteries and shorted coils, chargers, etc. AT 18 do what you want.

Otherwise, no, if I had kids at home they would not have "vaping kits". They would have library books and art supplies or a piano or guitar or something to spend that money on that would enrich them in some way. Even a really well made pair of good hiking boots from Keene or LLBean or Northface would be okay.......and COOL :) Maybe get them into 4H with a pet calf or goat or something, or even a pony. All COOL.

But nope, no vaping stuff for my kids under 18.

My daughter HATES smoking. Hated it when I did it, hates the smell, the cough etc.... We live in a very health conscious place and I am very grateful that smoking is no longer "cool". Only one of her friends that I know does it. And yeah she is NOT 18. That said...

My daughter personally thinks it is a very strange thing to want to take up as a "hobby". I vape because it is better than smoking and that's it. I have "gear". I like flavors but, I wish I did not feel the need to vape. I vape to stay off cigarettes. And that is what I have explained to her.

So, that said.... I do not think people under 18 should take it up as a "hobby" and agree with you that hiking of skiing or something else is far better. Her friend that already smokes.... well, what are you going to do? I am not her mom.

After 18...yep, do what you will.....

JMHO...JAG

NiNi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2013
Paulden, Arizona
You can legally drive at 16, legally vote at 18, join, fight and possibly die in the military, smoke, get married, drink when you're 21...... but if you're a male, your auto insurance rates don't go down till you're 25 because you're a risk (bad choices and decision making, more prone to accidents).

Seriously, what's wrong with this picture?

vapalicious1100

Apr 3, 2013
France
If he's 18, and he wants to vape, he has every right to do so. But I don't really think there's any reason to assume that he's not an ex-smoker. I tried my first cigarette when I was 11 or 12, I started smoking at 13. I would be willing to bet that the majority of smokers and ex-smokers started before legal age. So in response to your other question, I am of course an ex-smoker, and a proud vaper :vapor:

m3lov3r

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
Seattle, Wa
How do you feel about people who never smoked cigarettes vaping?

I was at the only vaping supply store in Maine on Monday (which is also an 18+ only tobacco shop) checking out all their juices. In walks a kid, who I swear was not a day over 18, grabs a bottle of juice and says I should "try the cinnamon roll, it's really good". Now I have no idea if this guy is a young ex-smoker but I doubt it.

I didn't say anything to him as it's not my business but it kind of bugged me. As a 12 year ex-smoker (thanks to vaping) I don't think non-smokers should start vaping anymore than they should pick up a cigarette. BTW the shop only sells juice with nicotine in it.

Am I just being a total snob or does this bother anyone else? I think what makes me cringe the most is the mis-information about e-cigs marketed to children and here's this barely 18 year old vaping.

To each his own....

Who cares? lol

meldee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2012
Westerville, OH
How do you feel about people who never smoked cigarettes vaping?

I was at the only vaping supply store in Maine on Monday (which is also an 18+ only tobacco shop) checking out all their juices. In walks a kid, who I swear was not a day over 18, grabs a bottle of juice and says I should "try the cinnamon roll, it's really good". Now I have no idea if this guy is a young ex-smoker but I doubt it.

I didn't say anything to him as it's not my business but it kind of bugged me. As a 12 year ex-smoker (thanks to vaping) I don't think non-smokers should start vaping anymore than they should pick up a cigarette. BTW the shop only sells juice with nicotine in it.

Am I just being a total snob or does this bother anyone else? I think what makes me cringe the most is the mis-information about e-cigs marketed to children and here's this barely 18 year old vaping.

To each his own....

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I think this is something we're gonna see more and more often. Right now, we are mostly ex-smokers who are or were trying to quit, and the idea of a non-smoker picking it up seems weird and foreign.

That being said, if I were an 18 year old today faced with the choice of boring, always-the-same cigarettes or the endless options (flavors and hardware) of vaping, not to mention the collectibility and hobby factor, fiddling and DIY aspect, the choice would be obvious. Plus, kids are way more educated on the dangers of to tobacco than I ever was when I was that age. They are raised on the fact that smoking causes cancer. All in all, it makes sense.

And is any of this a bad thing? As a mother, of course I don't want my kids getting addicted to anything. But if I had to make a choice between them smoking or vaping, again it would be an obvious choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread