Noob battery questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokin95

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2013
USA
So new to buying batterys, the only device I have is a provari 2.5 so only low wattage vaping here, usually <7 watts, <2.5 amps

Two questions:

1:

Being that I'm drawing such low amps I ordered some red efest 18490 1100 mah, 8C from IMRBatteries. They don't seem to have anything other than cheap batteries unless it's 18650. They have worked perfectly.

One of the batteries I got had a small black spec on the positive end, I didn't think anything of it at the time (few wks ago) and have been using it, charging fine no issues. No heat. Performs perfect. I was wondering if you guys could take a look and tell me if it's a bad sign and should be thrown out?

55e557ade0859aaa5dd949494b0d5c1e.jpg

Again this did not happen from use, it came like that.

2:

Second question, I need some 18350s. Being that I'm only drawing <2.5 amps are the red efest 18350 OK? Very cheap which is a bit concerning.

Here is the list of 18350s they carry, which one is best for a provari?

XTAR 18350, 850 mAh, black and gold
IMREN 18350, 800 mAh, blue
Efest 18350, 800 mAh, red
Efest 18350, 700 mAh, purple
MXJO 18350, 800 mAh, red
MXJO 18350, 700 mAh, 10.5A, yellow

IMRbatteries.com - Search Results for "18350"

Are any of those acceptable? Or are they all crap?

Last edited:

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    That spot is either rust, which can happen with these rewrapped batteries, or an arcing mark from previous use. If you don't see marks on the bottom that might indicate that's a used battery then it's probably rust. No danger if it is.

You can often remove them with a white pen eraser (it's more abrasive than the pink pencil ones) or a ScotchBrite or green dishwashing scrubber pad.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Personally, I'd only use AW batteries in a Provari 2.5, too. They will outperform the red Efests all day. RTD Vapor will be your source. (The Provari 2.5 will only accept button top IMR batteries.)

Mooch has tested several brands of 18350 batteries. The top performers were the AW, AWT (yellow), and Keeppower.

18350/18500 Battery Bench Test Results and New Ratings Table

image-jpeg.555235

Next time you buy 18490 batteries, go with the AW brand. Twice the amp rating compared to the red Efests.

AW 18490 1200mah 18A cDR(new IMR/hybrid)
    Efest 18490 1100mah 8.8A CDR

Last edited:

smokin95

ECF Veteran
    Jul 29, 2013
    USA
    Personally, I'd only use AW batteries in a Provari 2.5, too. They will outperform the red Efests all day. RTD Vapor will be your source. (The Provari 2.5 will only accept button top IMR batteries.)

Mooch has tested several brands of 18350 batteries. The top performers were the AW, AWT (yellow), and Keeppower.

18350/18500 Battery Bench Test Results and New Ratings Table

image-jpeg.555235

Next time you buy 18490 batteries, go with the AW brand. Twice the amp rating compared to the red Efests.

AW 18490 1200mah 18A cDR(new IMR/hybrid)
    Efest 18490 1100mah 8.8A CDR
    OK thanks for the info!

Out of curiousity, are the AW cells safer in anyway? If the provari has short protection, 3.5 amp 15 watt cutoff, and I charge them very slowly ~0.5A. if I'm not concerned at run time, should they all perform the same?

These batteries still make me nervous, not from what I've observed first hand but from what I read on the internet lol.

I ordered a few AW 18490 just to see how they compare to the efest in terms of run time.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    An authentic AW is "safer" than an efest because with efest there is no telling what cell is under the wrapper from batch to batch, and, they are notorious for overstating battery specs / "amp rates".

Run time actual 1100mah vs actual 1200mah will be minimal.
    But, efest consistently overstates battery specs.

Reactions: Baditude

smokin95

ECF Veteran
    Jul 29, 2013
    USA
    An authentic AW is "safer" than an efest because with efest there is no telling what cell is under the wrapper from batch to batch, and, they are notorious for overstating battery specs / "amp rates".

Run time actual 1100mah vs actual 1200mah will be minimal.
    But, efest consistently overstates battery specs.
    So it's generally OK in my case to use cheap batteries if my device has a 3.5 amp limit?

Not trying to save a buck (already bought a set of both brands) just like to learn as much as I can.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    So it's generally OK in my case to use cheap batteries if my device has a 3.5 amp limit?

Not trying to save a buck (already bought a set of both brands) just like to learn as much as I can.

My personal opinion is: Why pay money for an inferior battery, period? In the long run, the superior battery will last longer per charge and last longer in life expectancy. You'll be saving money in the long run when you buy the better battery.

My personal experience: I always had purchased AW IMR batteries for my multiple Provari 2.5's because that was what Provape expressively recommended. They had run their own tests on the available batteries at the time of the Provari's research and development, and found that the AW brand was superior...they even stated that they designed the original Provari's around the AW IMR batteries.

I got my daughter her first mod, and I purchased batteries (it took 14500 batteries) for it, too. I thought I'd try some of the red 14500 Efest batteries since they were cheaper than the AW's. I also got some 18350 Efest batteries for my self to compare with the 18350 AW's I was already using. I always buy all of my batteries from RTD Vapor, a trusted battery vendor.

After about 3 - 4 weeks of use, my daughter remarked that her Efest batteries were not lasting very long per charge, about half as long per charge from when they were new. I had some AW 14500 batteries that I was no longer using, and gave those to her. Even though they were used and older, she said they lasted longer than the newer Efests.

I had been using my newer 18350 Efests in rotation with my 18350 AW's. Aftrer 3 - 4 weeks of use in this fashion, I began to notice the Efest's ability to hold a charge was falling, to the point that I stopped using them. In hindsight, I wish that I had just purchased AW's in the firsts place. The Efests were a waste of money. My :2c:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I have half a dozen AW 18650 batteries that are up to 5 years old. I bought them for my Provari V2. I can say that after sitting for a couple of years charged (yes, I know that 40% -50% charge is better for storage) they were still above 4 volts when I took them out to try them. They still work fine and last as long as I remembered them lasting before.

Battery technology has matured over the years, but those old AW's are still like the Energizer Bunny. The difference with AW is that AW buys batteries from respected manufacturers, tests them all, and wholesales the ones that aren't cream of the crop to other companies who shrink wrap them with their own branded covers. What's left after the selloff is branded as AW and sold as AW batteries. AW is one of the highly respected re-branders.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread