Noob building problems with 28g and kuro concepts cw 20...2+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloud Waves

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2015
Texas
After now just having my Infinite Magma clone problem fixed. I started out my first builds to see how it goes. So I'm trying to build a good looking coil with some 28g using the kuro concepts 2mm coil tool and I keep getting coils that are over lapping or to far apart. I do have shaky hands when dealing with stuff that requires finise. Idk if i'm dealing with too high gauge wire but i'm starting to think I need to go old school and get a multi pack of screw- drivers or drillbits and that this coil tool is a waste of money. If it helps my kantal was given to me rolled around a the site I got it from's card. Of the coils that looked the best when checking for shorts I did a 3 wrap that came out to .6 and the second is a 6 wrap at 1.24 I can't seem to get the spacing of my wraps down. These 2 closest ones out of the 10 or so I built I wicked up with some OCC giving enough slip and slide to where it's a little loose on the 1.24 and to where on the .6 it took a little resistance. I cut the wick at the edge on both builds and saturated it almost completly on both also adding lots down the well. When testing for shorts the coils seemed to fire up evenly. They give out lots of vapor after i wicked but all I taste is burnt at just 16watts for the .6 and 30watts for the 1.24. I even had my afc open on both sides. I can't figure out how my wicks are burning up even though they still look wet. I tried looser wicks and higher ohms but it didn't change it at all. Maybe my wicks aren't long enough for the deep wells the magma has? Any of you coil building pros could give me advice?

daveid777

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Baltimore, MD
I'm no pro, and just got a kuro set yesterday (only one coil made). But, everything I read tells me you are applying too much pressure when wrapping. Try to only apply a slight amount of pressure, it may be enough to flip it and just set it down on a flat surface, though I haven't tried that myself. As far as the burning, I build my Lemos to about 1.2 and fire at about 18 watts, start low and work up. Instead of trying to adjust every variable at once, get a working coil, wick how you feel is appropriate for your juice/mod, turn the power down and see how it works. Slowly increase power to find your sweet spot.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Search for the artistic wire coiling gizmo, perfect coils made easy. Are you leaving tails on you wick that drop down into the juice well?

Then build your own,

That is a BarBQue scewer and scrap piece of 2x2, approx 3mm, also have one bent from a bike spoke approx 2mm, and a third rod from a wire clothes hanger, approx 2.5mm. I drilled 3 hole for the rods, 5/64,3/32, and 7/64, thats how I measured them.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Not exactly. So I rewicked and let the wick touch the well pretty good and filled up the well and covered the wick with juice. Vapes good but only at about 10watts. So now the question is what do I need to do to make it handle higher wattage? PS. my wraps still aren't touching but pretty close also they're not overlapped.

MORE wire, and/or thicker wire.........

Tmebs

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2014
BFE, Illinois
28 gage should be just fine....check out steam engine...coil tab...
Try not to fight the Kuro....just let the wire wrap over and kinda self feed if that makes sense. You could wrap a nice tight 9 wraps...take it off the and turn it around on the pin and now pull with needle nose 1 wrap off each end....tighten and straighten all in one.
For the Magma place that coil about 1ml directly over the airflow and just let the wick touch the bottom of the well.
It should be right at 1.2 ohms with 7 wraps 28gage 2 mm ID (inside diameter)
It all gets easier with practice, then when you build the most perfect coil..you will learn all about over tightening the screws...LOL
:p

JKuro

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Torrance, CA
www.kuroconcepts.com
After now just having my Infinite Magma clone problem fixed. I started out my first builds to see how it goes. So I'm trying to build a good looking coil with some 28g using the kuro concepts 2mm coil tool and I keep getting coils that are over lapping or to far apart. I do have shaky hands when dealing with stuff that requires finise. Idk if i'm dealing with too high gauge wire but i'm starting to think I need to go old school and get a multi pack of screw- drivers or drillbits and that this coil tool is a waste of money. If it helps my kantal was given to me rolled around a the site I got it from's card. Of the coils that looked the best when checking for shorts I did a 3 wrap that came out to .6 and the second is a 6 wrap at 1.24 I can't seem to get the spacing of my wraps down. These 2 closest ones out of the 10 or so I built I wicked up with some OCC giving enough slip and slide to where it's a little loose on the 1.24 and to where on the .6 it took a little resistance. I cut the wick at the edge on both builds and saturated it almost completly on both also adding lots down the well. When testing for shorts the coils seemed to fire up evenly. They give out lots of vapor after i wicked but all I taste is burnt at just 16watts for the .6 and 30watts for the 1.24. I even had my afc open on both sides. I can't figure out how my wicks are burning up even though they still look wet. I tried looser wicks and higher ohms but it didn't change it at all. Maybe my wicks aren't long enough for the deep wells the magma has? Any of you coil building pros could give me advice?

It is because you bought a clone coiler. The clones and copies do not work as well as the authentic.

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
I have two Kuro Concepts Coil Winders that I believe are authentic (I received them as a Secret Santa gift on Vape Faction and they came in a bag with the Kuro Concepts logo) and I have never been able to get them to work right - perhaps the problem is with me. Coincidentally, I decided to break them out a few nights ago and see if my luck had changed. I watched a video just to make sure that I was doing nothing wrong. I used 28 AWG Kanthal and I was not able to wrap a good coil (I encountered overlapping coils and tornado-looking coils). One thing that I noticed was that the screw on the top was coming loose as I was winding, so I tightened it down, but it did not resolve my issues. After wasting a few feet of Kanthal I gave up.

I don’t believe that I’m turning the top too hard and there really doesn’t seem to be much else that I can figure out that I’m doing wrong. If anyone has any ideas on what my problem might be I’d love to hear about it.

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
Is the screw in the #1 hole? If so, try and move it to the #2 hole. There were a few top caps of the CW-20s that got etched wrong.

Firestorm, I'll send you a new set.

Wow, thanks Jon!

I was using it with the screw in the #1 hole (as per your video) - I'll try to use it again tonight with the screw in the #2 hole.

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
I moved the screw on my CW-20 to the #2 position and wrapped three coils – two of three were fine but the other was messed up.

I received your package yesterday (thank you again) and I wrapped three flawless coils on the CW-20 with the screw in the #1 position. I think that I’m going to abandon my coil jig and exclusively use the new set as I am now able to easily wrap flawless coils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread