Noob guide to Direct Dripping

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoveMeTender

Moved On
Jan 22, 2010
US
Maybe I should look into that more closely... I was trying to tease the fiberglass wick out from under the heater coil with a toothpick and some pointy tweezers (it was an old used atty, it was all black). I gave up, thinking it would work better on a new one. Then I tried using it, and got no heat at all. I just figured I broke it.

I think I recall hearing it's easiest to do when the atty is new.

LoveMeTender

Moved On
Jan 22, 2010
US
This is an awesome drip cart mod. I added a 3ml pipette to it to act as a funnel, and this mod works awesome. Thanks for the info!

Can you post a pic? What I like about this mod besides being able to drip straight through it, is the draw is easier. I would think adding a funnel would make the draw more difficult.

quasimod

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Joplin, MO - USA
Can you post a pic?...

Porphy has some pics of how he does this with a pen grip in his DDC thread:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/cartridge-mods/40093-direct-drip-cart-mod-ddc.html

I've tried it with a gutted cart, and it works great. I have this weird thing where I taste plastic, though... I know it's all in my head but the taste is still there. That's one of the reasons I started dripping in the first place: I imagine that I can taste the filler, as well.

zippie

Moved On
Feb 25, 2010
Milky Way
Here's a Direct Drip mod that works well for me.

I wanted to tailpipe but hated the heat from the atty on my lips so I decided to use some 3/8 heat shrink tubing I bought in the electronics section at Home Depot. I cut it to the size of the atty and used a lighter to shrink it on, I then added another layer and bam now it is so easy to drip and my lips don't feel too much heat unless I'm taking long drags at a fast pace.

I thought this might overheat the atty but I haven't had any problems yet.

3/8 inch is for 510 attys

Last edited:

Dooz107

Mar 17, 2010
Oak Forest, IL
I just got my joye 510 a few days ago and I've been dripping right off the bat. Here are my two questions.
How do you change flavors without changing atomizers?
And why do I only get a good throat hit after the first one or two pulls?
I take a fresh battery and drip 2 or 3 drops on the bridge. Let it soak for a second and vape. First hit is great, second is okay, third is almost nothing. Still lots of vapor. But no throat hit. Is there something I'm supposed to be doing different?

quasimod

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Joplin, MO - USA
I just got my joye 510 a few days ago and I've been dripping right off the bat. Here are my two questions.
How do you change flavors without changing atomizers? [...]

You can just "vape through it", like most people probably do. It's what I usually do.

You can drip some unflavored juice, or plain (and cheap) VG, and "faff" on it a bit (Faff = puff without inhaling, like lighting a pipe).

You can flood the atty with plain VG then blow it out the battery end, then faff on it to get rid of most of the residual VG.

You can wash the atty with warm water, then blow through it until it sounds dry and no more water comes out. I've read that some people use them immediately after this step, but I've always let them dry overnight, or pop them in a 150°-170°F oven for 30 or 40 minutes.

[...] And why do I only get a good throat hit after the first one or two pulls?
I take a fresh battery and drip 2 or 3 drops on the bridge. Let it soak for a second and vape. First hit is great, second is okay, third is almost nothing. Still lots of vapor. But no throat hit. Is there something I'm supposed to be doing different?

Nope, it's more or less like that for everyone. Just keep paying attention to how it performs, and try different things. Your technique and the vapor will get a little better as you learn.

If it's too "wet", it needs to burn off some juice before it will vape well.

Lots of vapor with no flavor or throat hit means the atty is almost dry. Your next vape or the one after will taste burnt. It's a sign that the atty needs a drop or two of juice so you can avoid the nasty burnt taste.

Try to let the atty "rest" a few minutes between vapes. For some reason they seem to work better when they have the right amount of juice, and they are room temperature. If you're keeping that thing hot all the time
you may need to raise your nicotine level and/or learn how to do a good "direct inhale", so you can put it down for a few minutes.

quasimod

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Joplin, MO - USA
[...] With all the videos I've watched [...] I just figured that it hit like that every time. [...]

Those guys have very good technique, which comes from experience. Also, they have mastered the "Direct-Inhale" technique, which produces massive clouds of vapor and nuclear throat hits. It took me a long time to figure that out, because it's hard to notice in the vids. It's very frustrating, trying to get a stock 510 mini to pump out the vapor like you see in the videos by smoking it like a regular cigarette. :D

You can learn to direct-inhale fairly quickly, and with some practice you can get middling good at it in a few days. It's not rocket science, or anything, you just inhale directly into your lungs. The trick is learning to do it without choking to death. :D Try this:

Inhale directly into your lungs, then while you are inhaling press the button for a half-second. Stop vaping, inhale, then exhale. This won't do much, but it's like a baseline for you to work from. Keep increasing the length of time you hold the button until it feels too harsh on your lungs. Now you know how far NOT to go. Think of the way it tasted and felt just before it "pinched", and made you want to cough. That's where you want to get to next time, except next time just let off the button and continue to inhale. More vapor will be produced from residual atty heat, and the airflow will cool the atty down, and the inhale will get more comfortable. That's when you want to press the button again, while you're still inhaling, and get more vape. You just have to play with it, and feel your way through it. Improvise and try different things, and pay attention to how well those things work.

With some practice, you can get about 3 or 4 button press-and-release "cycles" in one big inhale. That's a lot of vapor and nicotine hitting your lungs. You WILL be able to put your PV down and relax for a few minutes after one of those hits. :)

To be clear, I just imagine that this would be a good way to teach yourself, based on my experience learning it. My first attempt was brutal... I wound up coughing like mad, with tears running out of my eyes, and swearing I'd never try it again. It's absolutely worth learning, though, because sometimes you just need a giant vape.

vllangvllang

Jul 18, 2010
Is there a certain brand of ecig that I can buy with will take the mystery out of dripping. All these technical terms are giving me a headache. I am new to vamping and have not used the dripping method yet, though I really want to. I am not sure if it is even possible with the brand of ecig I am using because I have the open battery port. I would really appreciate some input on the best models for dripping. Thanks

quasimod

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Joplin, MO - USA
Is there a certain brand of ecig that I can buy with will take the mystery out of dripping. All these technical terms are giving me a headache. I am new to vamping and have not used the dripping method yet, though I really want to. I am not sure if it is even possible with the brand of ecig I am using because I have the open battery port. I would really appreciate some input on the best models for dripping. Thanks

I think you're saying you have an UN-sealed battery, meaning you have a hole in the end that the atomizer screws onto. You can drip with that type as well, but you run the risk of ruining the switch if you get so much liquid into the atomizer that it leaks down into that hole. I have read many posts written by people who have had NO PROBLEMS dripping with unsealed batteries, but I don't want to recommend it since the risk definitely exists.

Most ecig models, regardless of brand, are available in both manual and automatic. Manual push-button batteries are most likely sealed, but you can double-check by emailing the vendor. If you don't get a reply within 24 hours, you should find a better vendor. One of my favorites is cignot.com, and Teri will be glad to answer any questions you may have. There are plenty of
other popular vendors, and ECF members are happy to let you know their favorites.

matta89

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2009
Fresno/clovis
I agree, very nice write up! I love dripping. When I first started to vape... I thought that I would never drip. It sounded so complicated, but after so many issues with carts I decided to give it a shot. The first few days were a pain. I flooded my atty a good bit and a few time I managed to drip the juice on my shirt rather than the atty. A few weeks in to dripping it really comes as natural and time consuming as lighting up a cig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread